Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
True. One of the things I love about older neighborhoods is how different and unique each home is....over the years the landscaping evolves, the homes all look unique, etc. You can usually spot a new neighborhood w/ a HOA a mile away....cookie cutter homes w/ the same landscaping, colors, no (or the same) fences, all very similar to each other.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM

761 posts, read 3,415,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
True. One of the things I love about older neighborhoods is how different and unique each home is....over the years the landscaping evolves, the homes all look unique, etc. You can usually spot a new neighborhood w/ a HOA a mile away....cookie cutter homes w/ the same landscaping, colors, no (or the same) fences, all very similar to each other.
I also agree on this and the only reason we bought into this neighborhood (circa 1995 so it isn't that old) is that almost all the houses are different. There are three spread throughout the fourty house development with the same design/shape, but they did a really good job of mixing it up so it's not cookie cutter at all. Our house is a one of a kind in the neighborhood.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times
True, DesertSun, sometimes I receive a notice from the HOA/Board that raises my hackles. For instance, there is quite a bit of understood anxiety over the St. Pat's Day celebration in my town. To that end, I just received a note from the HOA saying that NO ONE in the building will be permitted to bring ANY alcholic beverages into the building on that day? Huh? I'm a 45 year old woman who, I thought, could decide what will or will not come into my home. I also believe that if I WERE to have guests on that day, I am adult enough (as are my friends) to behave properly. Obviously, the HOA feels differently ....

Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I would never live in a McCommunity dense enough to support an HOA.

I like having the nearest neighbor far enough away that we can't really bother each other short of shooting black-powder cannons off at night.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
My answer would be "Bad"

I think the HOA's are just a necessary evil if you are interested in a house in a nice neighborhood. They all have them now. I think they are completely worthless. They do nothing when you file complaints and have that mentality of trying to get away with not doing anything and referring you to the city. Yet, they have no problem getting in the way or making your life more difficult by rejecting building plans or asking you to pull small weeds on the side of your house yet will say nothing to the neighbor accross the street regarding his jungle of unkempt weeds. The people who are part of the HOA are people who have nothing better to do with their time and want a power trip.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Would never live in a community that didn't have a strong, established, HOA.

Yes, I want people telling me what color house I can have.
Yes, I want people telling me that my grass is too long.
Yes, I want people telling me I can't put a 100 foot ham radio antenna in my back yard.
Yes, I want people telling me I can't park my boat with the blue tarp on it in my front yard.
Yes, I want people telling me I can't park an RV on the side of my house.
Yes, I want people telling me I can't leave my garage door open.
Yes, I want people telling me my trashcans can't be visible from the street or by the neighbors.
That's great if the HOA's actually perform their duties and enforce these rules but they don't except when it comes to something minor on your property. I live in a nice neighborhood and in the summer, my neighbors will park their RV or boat on the street next to their house. We have a "no truck must be visible" rule and it's routinely violated. Not that I care but I think it's funny how our HOA picks and chooses which rules to enforce

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's great if the HOA's actually perform their duties and enforce these rules but they don't except when it comes to something minor on your property. I live in a nice neighborhood and in the summer, my neighbors will park their RV or boat on the street next to their house. We have a "no truck must be visible" rule and it's routinely violated. Not that I care but I think it's funny how our HOA picks and chooses which rules to enforce
That sucks. Did you call your HOA and mention this? Now, if he is only parking it there for one day every week or two, I can see how the HOA may look the other way. But, if it is parked there for days or weeks at a time, something needs to be done.

I've received two letters from my HOA because I kept my trashcan on the side of my house (on non-trash pickup days), visible from the street. The only place I have to store it is in the garage but if it is really full of stuff and the lid isn't all the way down, the garage gets stinky.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
True, DesertSun, sometimes I receive a notice from the HOA/Board that raises my hackles. For instance, there is quite a bit of understood anxiety over the St. Pat's Day celebration in my town. To that end, I just received a note from the HOA saying that NO ONE in the building will be permitted to bring ANY alcholic beverages into the building on that day? Huh? I'm a 45 year old woman who, I thought, could decide what will or will not come into my home. I also believe that if I WERE to have guests on that day, I am adult enough (as are my friends) to behave properly. Obviously, the HOA feels differently ....
Then simply bring the alcoholic beverages into your condo the day before!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Then simply bring the alcoholic beverages into your condo the day before!
Rofl, awesome answer.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Be sure to saturate the notice in beer and staple it somewhere prominent. That sounds less like a condo and more like a dorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House