U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:25 AM

735 posts, read 2,366,895 times
Question Bird in the House???????

Ok, I'm freaking out now, This morning we had a bird in our house. My husband noticed it when he was downstairs coming out of the bathroom. It took awhile to get it out, it actually died in the house after it flew near me and I screamed flailing my arms wildly.(It was a real sight to withhold). Crisis averted. Untill, my friend tells me a bird in the house means death. Has anyone had a bird in their house and nobody died? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 10:31 AM

152 posts, read 316,323 times
ooooh, never heard of that. never had a bird in the house either....but, this morning I woke up and there was a HUGE hornet in my house, tried to get hubby to kill it, then we couldn't find it. So it's still somewhere here and hubby left for work ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! good luck

Old 07-28-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
ooooh, never heard of that. never had a bird in the house either....but, this morning I woke up and there was a HUGE hornet in my house, tried to get hubby to kill it, then we couldn't find it. So it's still somewhere here and hubby left for work ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! good luck
keep the bug spray out. This wasn't my idea of "the Birds and the Bees"

Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM

152 posts, read 316,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
keep the bug spray out. This wasn't my idea of "the Birds and the Bees"

Old 07-28-2006, 11:28 AM

8,192 posts, read 18,543,287 times
I have had plenty of birds in the house, and the only deaths have been the poor birds.

My back door is usually open in the nice weather so that my critters can enjoy the yard (or not) without me having to let them in & out. Sometimes they would fly in on their own (the birds, not my critters), and sometimes they would have a little help from one cat or another.

If we were able we would help them to escape, even if it meant moving the entertainment center, or all of that stuff that lives under the bed in the guest room.

I would have to say there have been more than a dozen live birds (and a few bunnies, squirells, and snakes ) over the years, but no deaths of family or friends.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 3,535,374 times
Default Birds

I've had several birds fly in thru the sliding glass doors. Unfortunately the sliding glass doors were also the cause of thier death.
Birds in the house meaning death ? Doubt it. Same goes with the saying " it happens in 3's".
January 2004 my mother passed- May 2004 my dog passed- Sept. 2004 my father passed- October 2004 Neighbor passed violently-December 2004 my husbands granma passed. No birds in the house in 2004, just recently.
April 1st 2006 my son had a seizure, and it was also the scheduled day to put my husbands dog down.
I sure hope that it doesn't mean death cause I couldn't handle anymore !!

Old 07-28-2006, 11:59 AM

What a relief. I'm so glad to hear nothing bad has happened with birds in your house. It is Spooky though.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:39 PM

6,198 posts, read 5,983,554 times
I've had plenty of birds fly into the house, no people died though. One came down the chimney about two weeks ago, as a matter of fact... :: pinches self :: yup, still alive.

Did you kill the bird by screaming and "flailing your arms wildly?" Poor thing, why were you afraid of a little bird? Sheesh, birds are small and harmless unless it was an emu or something. I don't know why it was a "crisis" for you, it was the bird that died.
Usually quite easy to get them out of the house unharmed by using a sheet.
No need to "freak out" about a scared little bird, or about superstitious nonsense.

Last edited by chiroptera; 07-28-2006 at 04:12 PM..

Old 07-28-2006, 03:48 PM

8,192 posts, read 18,543,287 times
I think both of my cats & my dog & my chicken of a husband would all be in need of a rescue if an EMU came in the house! Where do you live?

Old 07-28-2006, 04:05 PM

6,198 posts, read 5,983,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey
I think both of my cats & my dog & my chicken of a husband would all be in need of a rescue if an EMU came in the house! Where do you live?
LOL, Michigan and no, there's no wild emus here.
Although, come to think of it, there's an emu farm not too far away.
At one point I lived near a small farm in California, they had pigs. Sometimes the pigs would get out and once one wandered into our kitchen. Nothing like trying to get a 900lb pig shoo'ed out of the house, it was too big to turn around in the hallways and I had to back it out!
At that place, we had free range chickens and ducks, for eggs, and a few were really tame, they'd come when we called. They'd sneak inside if they could. I "rescued" a motherless batch of duck eggs and kept them by the hot water heater, warm enough to hatch. So, we also had a herd of cute little ducks following us around the house.
If I recall, the dogs were rather confused by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House