U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Tropical state of mind
5,100 posts, read 8,546,625 times
Reputation: 5516

Advertisements

I've noticed in this area (very rural middle TN) there are a ton of old homes that have two front doors. Most of them have a front porch that runs the length of the house. They've got a very simple roof line - no dormers, no areas that stick out or anything. Just a very plain box shaped home, but two front doors.

Here's one I snapped a picture of on the way to work today. Again, camera phone so not that great:



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Sudcaroland
9,677 posts, read 4,280,074 times
Reputation: 30508
Well, maybe there were two homes in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,390 posts, read 22,627,024 times
Reputation: 12590
Our older (build sometime between 1900-1930) house has two front doors, and my grandparents' house (built much later) did, as well. In both cases, one front door went into the living room, and the other went into a bedroom. We now use that former bedroom as an office, but that was its original intended use. I'm guessing it was to allow some autonomy to whatever almost-grown or grown child used that bedroom.

Both houses are in different parts of rural Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,518 posts, read 3,297,588 times
Reputation: 968
From what I have read....In older homes - built in the 1800's - the two doors were used by the family - one door for everyday family functions and the other was used to access the more formal areas of the home (like the parlor) for when you had guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 29,611,491 times
Reputation: 9633
To me it looks like it is or once was a duplex. But ya know what? I remember a thread identical to this from quite some time ago on the subject of 2 front doors. I remember many ideas but no conclusions to the mystery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: San Diego, Ca
740 posts, read 1,036,884 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Our older (build sometime between 1900-1930) house has two front doors, and my grandparents' house (built much later) did, as well. In both cases, one front door went into the living room, and the other went into a bedroom. We now use that former bedroom as an office, but that was its original intended use. I'm guessing it was to allow some autonomy to whatever almost-grown or grown child used that bedroom.

Both houses are in different parts of rural Texas.
I agree. I had an old home in Louisiana that had the two front doors. One door went into a Bedroom and the other door went into the Living area. The main house only had 4 rooms. The front two were the bedroom and living room. It also had the front porch on the front. The other two were the kitchen and dining area. Later they added more bedrooms and bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM
 
78 posts, read 165,012 times
Reputation: 48
Not sure this is the reason but my 1856 farmhouse in New York had 3 normal doors and one extra wide door that my neighbors called the funeral door to allow the casket and bearers to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Tropical state of mind
5,100 posts, read 8,546,625 times
Reputation: 5516
Quote:
Originally Posted by exsci teacher View Post
Not sure this is the reason but my 1856 farmhouse in New York had 3 normal doors and one extra wide door that my neighbors called the funeral door to allow the casket and bearers to get out.
Wow. That's a kinda creepy thought!!

From what I've read it seems like no one can come up with any conclusive reason why. Though the most common answer is that one door was for family and one was for receiving guests and for Sunday use in their best dressed.

Interesting that no one can really make a firm decision on why it was done this way though. It wasn't all that long ago that they were built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
 
Location: San Diego, Ca
740 posts, read 1,036,884 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Wow. That's a kinda creepy thought!!

From what I've read it seems like no one can come up with any conclusive reason why. Though the most common answer is that one door was for family and one was for receiving guests and for Sunday use in their best dressed.

Interesting that no one can really make a firm decision on why it was done this way though. It wasn't all that long ago that they were built.
They were used mainly for family using one and the other for receiving guests. My neighbor had one also and she told me that years ago they didn't have air so on the hot nights; they would open the doors to let more air in. The porch was screened in all the way around. They were especially handy during spring cleaning and airing the house out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM
 
Location: San Diego, Ca
740 posts, read 1,036,884 times
Reputation: 561
mrs1885, check this out.

Two Front Doors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top