Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:56 AM

68 posts, read 66,924 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to do a weathered wood interior wall surface in my garage. Currently, this detached garage has old, nasty pink insulation between exposed studs, in front of wooden plank exterior walls.

Questions I have:

- Before I put in fresh insulation (after removing the old), should I seal the outer wall with anything?
- After I put in new insulation, should I put anything between that and my weathered wood?

Note: This is in Minnesota, where the winter gets cold and dry... and the summers are hot and humid.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommegrot View Post
I'm looking to do a weathered wood interior wall surface in my (detached) garage.
Why? Why put up ANY interior finish?
Or insulation for that matter...

Quote:
This is in Minnesota
Do you live in your garage?
Are you spending a lot of time in there?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:40 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,784,742 times
Read the site below, its very helpful and good luck.

How To Insulate Your Garage - Insulation Projects - Garage Insulation

Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? Why put up ANY interior finish?
Or insulation for that matter...

Do you live in your garage?
Are you spending a lot of time in there?
Good questions.

We have a two-stall garage, and we're a single car family. The other stall will absolutely be a place we spend time doing home improvement projects, woodworking, etc. Insulation will give us that extra edge as the months get colder. We do have gas access, so we could heat the garage for year round use, and insulation would hold in some heat. The interior finish would just improve the looks.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Read the site below, its very helpful and good luck.

How To Insulate Your Garage - Insulation Projects - Garage Insulation
Thanks for the link!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Yes many people in MN insulate their garages. It is very helpful considering the many many months of inclement weather we have here. The finishing helps with the dark winters as well. My last garage was insulated and I am going to insulate the one I have now too.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:39 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
My garage has the same look as the one in the photo of the OP. Does anyone know if those ceiling trusses can hold sheetrock without damaging the roof? They must be the same ones used in the rest of the house, right? But the span seems so much larger without any supporting walls or posts. Mine is double garage with an extra area for a room at the back of the garage. But I don't want to add a wall.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes many people in MN insulate their garages. It is very helpful considering the many many months of inclement weather we have here. The finishing helps with the dark winters as well. My last garage was insulated and I am going to insulate the one I have now too.
Thanks, Kayekaye!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:15 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
What is "wooden plank exterior"?
Is it lap board or T&G?

Whichever it is I'm going to burst your bubble...

The problem will be making the wall air-tight- lap board is no where near air-tight. T&G can be somewhat. Batt insulation needs to be in a dead airspace to work at peak performance; otherwise your wasting money with the insulation. Trying a haphazard sealing with caulk, foam board, plastic, whatever is again a waste of money and time.

The only insulation that will both work at peak performance AND completely stop air leakage is Icynene foam. Once it's installed you can install whatever wall covering on the walls. However, keep on thing in mind. Even though the garage is a detached building why add more flammable material to the building considering its use? I strongly recommend using drywall for nothing more than its RESISTANCE to fire. If you're concerned about the walls getting beat up just add plywood/OSB on the bottom- like a wainscoate- over the drywall.

The attic can just be blown with loose-fill.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What is "wooden plank exterior"?
Is it lap board or T&G?
I haven't looked really close, but the photo above shows some looking through the missing insulation. I think it is just horizontal planks, top to bottom, with cedar siding on the outside of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Whichever it is I'm going to burst your bubble...

The problem will be making the wall air-tight- lap board is no where near air-tight. T&G can be somewhat. Batt insulation needs to be in a dead airspace to work at peak performance; otherwise your wasting money with the insulation. Trying a haphazard sealing with caulk, foam board, plastic, whatever is again a waste of money and time.

The only insulation that will both work at peak performance AND completely stop air leakage is Icynene foam. Once it's installed you can install whatever wall covering on the walls. However, keep on thing in mind. Even though the garage is a detached building why add more flammable material to the building considering its use? I strongly recommend using drywall for nothing more than its RESISTANCE to fire. If you're concerned about the walls getting beat up just add plywood/OSB on the bottom- like a wainscoate- over the drywall.

The attic can just be blown with loose-fill.
I haven't made any moves on this project, so I'm open to most alternatives.

As is, the garage is 40 or more years old, with almost nothing done to stop air leakage. I'm shooting for "something" rather than "almost nothing."

What do you mean by "more flammable material" ? The weathered wood wall covering I mentioned?

There is no attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House