U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM

8,818 posts, read 8,868,577 times
Default My Dryer doesn't work well, is the duct clogged?

My dryer in my washer/dryer doesn't work well. It took 3 hours to dry some towels. I've made sure the vent is firmly attached and sealed. I've been told my duct could be clogged. I've heard you can go to Home Depot or any hardware store and buy a "dryer vent brush or cleaner"???

Is there a service that can clean this or is this something that I can reasonably address on my own with the brush? If there is a service, who would I call? Do you just call the same service that cleans your heating/AC ducts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 02:57 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,487,952 times
The area were the lint goes could be the problem(?). That`s what happened to mine and I got a lint brush at Lowes.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
The area were the lint goes could be the problem(?). That`s what happened to mine and I got a lint brush at Lowes.
Thanks, how did the lint brush work? Did it solve the problem?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:20 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,487,952 times
My lint retreaver is on top of the dryer, So I had to bend the brush(it`s wire) to get in there properly. It worked pretty good but I had to do it a few times to get the stuff out. It solved the problem.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM

212 posts, read 385,761 times
My DD recently had the same problem...I told her to NOT use the dryer until they checked out the actual vent. Turns out the vent was SO clogged they actually had to replace it, rather than just clean it out.
A heavily clogged vent is a major cause of house fires! Please check yours right away! If not too clogged it is simple to clean it out yourself.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
My DD recently had the same problem...I told her to NOT use the dryer until they checked out the actual vent. Turns out the vent was SO clogged they actually had to replace it, rather than just clean it out.
A heavily clogged vent is a major cause of house fires! Please check yours right away! If not too clogged it is simple to clean it out yourself.
Did you have to hire a service to replace the vent? How much did that cost. I'm just anticipating that in case

Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 PM

3,775 posts, read 2,863,232 times
It will probably run between $50 and $75 to have someone come out and clean the duct. A few things to check before worrying about cleaning it though.

1) If the vent tube is flexible, make sure it isn't kinked. It's very easy to kink them when you scoot the dryer back in place. Also, if your vent tube is plastic, this is a good time to replace it with either rigid tube or at the very least a flexible foil type (rigid is much preferred, as it won't kink and isn't a fire hazard.

2) Make sure the dryer is heating. I've had dozens of calls about similar issues with clothes dryers, and quite a few had nothing wrong with the duct, just a bad heating element or burner.

3) I know this is obvious, but check the lint filter. You wouldn't believe how many people forget to clean it.

If your duct does need to be cleaned, it isn't hard, just a little bit dirty. You can get the brush at HD or Lowes.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It will probably run between $50 and $75 to have someone come out and clean the duct. A few things to check before worrying about cleaning it though.

1) If the vent tube is flexible, make sure it isn't kinked. It's very easy to kink them when you scoot the dryer back in place. Also, if your vent tube is plastic, this is a good time to replace it with either rigid tube or at the very least a flexible foil type (rigid is much preferred, as it won't kink and isn't a fire hazard.

2) Make sure the dryer is heating. I've had dozens of calls about similar issues with clothes dryers, and quite a few had nothing wrong with the duct, just a bad heating element or burner.

3) I know this is obvious, but check the lint filter. You wouldn't believe how many people forget to clean it.

If your duct does need to be cleaned, it isn't hard, just a little bit dirty. You can get the brush at HD or Lowes.
Hi Jim

Thanks for the advice. I agree with #2) but everyone has told me to check the vent first and make sure it isn't clogged since my dryer is relatively new (4-5 years old) and is a Kenmore Elite. If it's still not drying well, it very well is probably the dryer

Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM

381 posts, read 767,875 times
Had the same problem in the spring with my dryer. We had moved into a new house a few months earlier, so my husband checked the vent outside. There was a bird's nest and a ton of lint in there. The amount of crap he pulled out of it was unbelievable!!

Definitely check that first (or, also check it along with making sure your dryer is heating).

Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,050,787 times
I had the same problem. The vent to the outside was fine and the dryer lint filter was clean. The culprit was the flexible hose connecting the dryer to the vent...packed full of lint. We just tossed it and connected a new one for a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House