U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM

2,988 posts, read 4,859,468 times

Advertisements

My house was built in 1985. On the second floor, there is a loft that we were going to use as an office (right now it's a junk "room"). But we found out we have a baby on the way and need a bedroom up there next to ours for the nursery.

I'm going to contact some contractors next week to get an idea on how much it will cost and how long it will take. But I'd like to get some opinions from people on here that do this for a living or have done this before.

Largest hurdle will be rewiring the wires from the light fixture, me thinks. The switch is next to the stairs, which can be seen in the second picture (dual switch plate) just above the orange electric drill.

Here are the pics:

Here is the layout I'm thinking will work best:
NOTE: The rectangle is a closet with sliding doors.

So any ideas on what I should be looking for in labor/material to get this done? How long would this job take a professional?

Thanks for any tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 AM

6,837 posts, read 21,956,687 times
The largest hurdle is not getting taken for a ride, the light switch is easy. Make sure the rest of the electrical for the room is to code.
The door should swing into the room- not into the hallway. Your closet location is good- remember you need at least 24" of depth on the inside.
The kneewalls should be opened up and studs run from the bottom plate to the new top plates. DO NOT finish walls by just building on top of knee walls.
The other thing I see- you'll probably have to change the windows- right now they don't meet egress code.
There are still too many varibles to ballpark a price.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the window. I'll have to measure it and see if it meats the 5.7sq ft.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Lots of variables, but it doesn't look to me like you're going to run into any big issues. The way I'm looking at it, you need to build about 20 linear feet of superficial wall, frame out a doorway, move a light switch, probably piggyback two additional electrical outlets off of the existing wiring, use about 12 sheets of 4X8 drywall, tape, float, paint, maybe install a ceiling fan, maybe some carpet work, and there may be an additional HVAC permit required to run A/C into the space.

I would guess that your raw materials (at full gouge retail prices and assuming code compliance with the windows) are going to run about $800-$1500 depending mostly on the door you purchase.

K'ledgebldr: if the windows do not meet egress code, does that mean that the room can not be used as a bedroom or only that it can not be marketed as a bedroom?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
K'ledgebldr: if the windows do not meet egress code, does that mean that the room can not be used as a bedroom or only that it can not be marketed as a bedroom?
If the loft was enclosed- as proposed and no closet was added it's technically not a bedroom. But with the closet, it is a "bedroom" and therefore the need for egress window(s).

Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If the loft was enclosed- as proposed and no closet was added it's technically not a bedroom. But with the closet, it is a "bedroom" and therefore the need for egress window(s).
I totally airmailed that he was going to add a closet...

Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks fellas.

There is one hvac register next to a wall in the center of the room.

The windows are 34"x46". The actual glass area is 30"x41". That would suck if I have to combine the two windows into one.....that can't be cheap!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
The windows are 34"x46". The actual glass area is 30"x41". That would suck if I have to combine the two windows into one.....that can't be cheap!
Oh no, don't do that. All you need to do is make them taller. Leave the header(s) inplace. Just make the sill hgt lower. Of course I don't know what your exterior is- hopefully only siding!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM

424 posts, read 1,352,351 times
Whatever you do with the windows, just don't put the kid's bed under them. Make sure the room layout can have the bed somewhere else for safety. Congrats on your new "addition"

Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 PM

630 posts, read 1,073,428 times
This is on a much smaller scale what we did this winter (our loft,now semi enclosed is 275 sq. ft.).My suggestions,the overlook area,would you possibly consider putting in lockable shutters?That way,when junior turns 21,you can have your office back.As for the switch,if you do not want to rewire,have a wireless switch installed,about $150 for it.The two leads of the current switch get wired together and above the light a reciever unit is installed,programmed to the frequency of a companion switch,which can be placed just about anywhere within 50ft of light.As for the knee wall getting filled in and a prehung door placed in there,I framed the wall and my wife had the honors of installing and shimming the door in,which took about 15 minutes,as she doesn't know which end of the hammer to hit with,she found it very empowering.Framing how to's and distances for rough openings of doors can be found online.This could be an easy and fun job,probably 2 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House