U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 PM

41,710 posts, read 46,215,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I need to move to Maine and start a house painting business, apparently. Don't get me wrong, painting pays pretty well in Florida (better than it did in Missouri), but 5k to paint a 1500 sq. ft. house? 10k plus to paint a 3000 sq. ft house? Even with regional variations, that seems a little steep to me.
I agree! I was quoted $800 to paint the exterior of a rental house we own that's 1100 sq ft. That was a few years ago, but I doubt the price as increased much.

Regardless, it has to be cheaper to paint the OP's house. If she does decide upon siding, it's best to cover asbestos siding instead of tearing it out and replacing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 PM

8,294 posts, read 13,821,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
We have a fairly small house, 1100 sq ft on the inside. I have not measured the outside yet for calculations (there's still snow everywhere) but sometime we're going to need to either paint or re-side and I have no idea how much either of those might cost.

Somebody told us that the house has the old asbestos cement siding, but it doesn't look like it. Even if it is, it's not a huge problem for the area, many homes have similar (or worse) siding. I'm not sure if residing would add much to the value or not. Some buyers may run from this siding, but others wouldn't because of the area and the price range this house is in. But it needs something to make it look nicer (right now it is dirty white with peeling black trim)

The house is mostly a square footprint but has an added on garage (now a bedroom) and so it has a bit of an L shape to it. Again, it's fairly small and compact, but I'm still afraid residing would be major $$$. Might be easier to hire that out than paint ourselves though What would you do?
There's no question that painting it will cost less than having it re-sided, particularly if you do the painting yourself.

If you powerwash down the siding, scrape the time, and paint it yourself you should be able to do the whole house for well under $500. Probably more like $300.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 AM

4,910 posts, read 7,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I need to move to Maine and start a house painting business, apparently. Don't get me wrong, painting pays pretty well in Florida (better than it did in Missouri), but 5k to paint a 1500 sq. ft. house? 10k plus to paint a 3000 sq. ft house? Even with regional variations, that seems a little steep to me.
LOL, my thoughts exactly! I had no idea what it costs to have a house painted since we've always has vinyl siding on previous homes. I was shocked when I heard the cost here. The kicker is that a lot of the painters here don't even do a good job! For that kind of money the house should look perfect, but a lot of times you'll see flaking paint within a year. I'm sure there are a lot of great house painters around here, but from what I've heard you have to be careful who you hire, since some of them try to use short cuts, like not scraping properly. Maybe the ocean air is harder on paint too, I dunno...

Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 AM

16,407 posts, read 15,185,229 times
Saltwater winds do have an impact on paint life. I find my house near the Chesapeake (600 feet) needs re-doing every 8 to 12 years. My friends right on the water have to re-paint every 6 or so.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 AM

4,910 posts, read 7,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Saltwater winds do have an impact on paint life. I find my house near the Chesapeake (600 feet) needs re-doing every 8 to 12 years. My friends right on the water have to re-paint every 6 or so.
That's what I thought. We bought our current house in July. It was re-painted 2 years prior. The paint is already peeling in quite a few spots, which makes me think that it was painted on the cheap. I'll have to start getting some estimates, and if they're too expensive I might tackle it myself. I would still prefer to get vinyl, but will have to look into that cost as well. The joys of home ownership!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM

424 posts, read 1,284,242 times
I know nothing about painting a house (last time I did it, I was helping my parents when I was about 10). But we will have lots of friends who will lend a hand when the time comes, so we'll tackle the job ourselves and only have to pay for supplies. We'll have to read up on the process a bit more first especially since the last job was done slopily, but I'm sure we can do it. Now to decide on a color....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House