Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times

Advertisements

We have a fairly small house, 1100 sq ft on the inside. I have not measured the outside yet for calculations (there's still snow everywhere) but sometime we're going to need to either paint or re-side and I have no idea how much either of those might cost.

Somebody told us that the house has the old asbestos cement siding, but it doesn't look like it. Even if it is, it's not a huge problem for the area, many homes have similar (or worse) siding. I'm not sure if residing would add much to the value or not. Some buyers may run from this siding, but others wouldn't because of the area and the price range this house is in. But it needs something to make it look nicer (right now it is dirty white with peeling black trim)

The house is mostly a square footprint but has an added on garage (now a bedroom) and so it has a bit of an L shape to it. Again, it's fairly small and compact, but I'm still afraid residing would be major $$$. Might be easier to hire that out than paint ourselves though What would you do?

Last edited by campmom123; 03-01-2010 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
If the existing siding is in good shape, then just prime and repaint. It'll be cheaper than new siding.

The trim ... scrape off the peeling paint and evaluate whether it's still in good enough condition or not. Minor damage like surface cracks and gouges can be repaired ... major (like termite munched, rotted and cracked through, etc.) is better off replaced.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:06 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
If the existing siding is in good shape, then just prime and repaint. It'll be cheaper than new siding.

The trim ... scrape off the peeling paint and evaluate whether it's still in good enough condition or not. Minor damage like surface cracks and gouges can be repaired ... major (like termite munched, rotted and cracked through, etc.) is better off replaced.
If it does contain asbestos, as mentioned above... wouldn't scraping it down create particles you could breathe in?

Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 PM

the trim doesn't contain asbestos though, it's just wood.

the shingles I wouldn't scrape, just powerwash I guess.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:02 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I also have the composite asbestos siding. It will take a coat of paint very well (caution: it's a pain to paint if it has vertical grooving on it). The advantage is that you can always change the color, you can't do that with siding as easily or cheaply. If you decide to re-side and the current siding is the composite asbestos you've just opened up a whole world of adventure for removal and disposal. Guys in moon suits taking it off, maybe the house being tented and disposal at an approved HazMat landfill.
Even if the above isn't the case paint is cheaper than re-siding, especially if you do the work yourself. Very little prep work is needed except for making sure the siding is clean. I have found a primer isn't necessary, I use a fairly high dollar exterior acrylic latex.
For the wood trim prep again is very important, if there are several coats of paint you should take them down as close to the wood as possible. You may have to use a heat gun (looks like a hair dryer but a bit bigger and way hotter). That's what I ended up doing.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 PM

nobody around here strips off the old asbestos siding, they just side right over it. It's easier and safer I guess. But if it's still cheaper to paint, that's probably what we'll do....

Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
We have a fairly small house, 1100 sq ft on the inside. I have not measured the outside yet for calculations (there's still snow everywhere) but sometime we're going to need to either paint or re-side and I have no idea how much either of those might cost.

Somebody told us that the house has the old asbestos cement siding, but it doesn't look like it. Even if it is, it's not a huge problem for the area, many homes have similar (or worse) siding. I'm not sure if residing would add much to the value or not. Some buyers may run from this siding, but others wouldn't because of the area and the price range this house is in. But it needs something to make it look nicer (right now it is dirty white with peeling black trim)

The house is mostly a square footprint but has an added on garage (now a bedroom) and so it has a bit of an L shape to it. Again, it's fairly small and compact, but I'm still afraid residing would be major $$$. Might be easier to hire that out than paint ourselves though What would you do?
We have the same dilemma. Our house is about 1200 sq. feet with wood siding. From talking to neighbors, I've found out that painting is very expensive. Once we can afford it, I would prefer to get vinyl siding. Even if it's more expensive than painting, at least we won't have to worry about it again 5 years down the road. (I have a friend who is having her 3000 sq. foot house painted this spring. She was quoted anywhere from 10k to 22k for the job. Yikes!)

Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Our long time frined had a home in South Jersey for many years and his home too had asbestos shingles..... He did scrape and paint his 2 bdrom 1 bath home. The paint lasted well and 5 years later he finally sold it for a modern beach side home....

I love the "rubberized paint" sold at the local home store. It has a fantastic holding power and we hired a professional to paint our 4 year old new home just to be sure. The paint resists all stains and other kinds of paint. If it is painted again it must be painted with the same kind or type of paint. Our 2,800 sf home was painted by a professional for $1,500.....I never heard of a 3,000 sf home costing 10k-22k for a home paint job. I use to build homes and 1st class siding would not cost that much. However, roofing is another story and is always expensive.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Our long time frined had a home in South Jersey for many years and his home too had asbestos shingles..... He did scrape and paint his 2 bdrom 1 bath home. The paint lasted well and 5 years later he finally sold it for a modern beach side home....

I love the "rubberized paint" sold at the local home store. It has a fantastic holding power and we hired a professional to paint our 4 year old new home just to be sure. The paint resists all stains and other kinds of paint. If it is painted again it must be painted with the same kind or type of paint. Our 2,800 sf home was painted by a professional for $1,500.....I never heard of a 3,000 sf home costing 10k-22k for a home paint job. I use to build homes and 1st class siding would not cost that much. However, roofing is another story and is always expensive.
My friend has a historic home, so I don't know if it's more expensive for that reason?! I've talked to several people since moving to Maine last year who had their houses painted. One has a 1500 sq. ft. house and paid $5000. I'm sure prices differ from region to region, but no one I've talked to paid less than 4k for a halfway decent paint job...

Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
I need to move to Maine and start a house painting business, apparently. Don't get me wrong, painting pays pretty well in Florida (better than it did in Missouri), but 5k to paint a 1500 sq. ft. house? 10k plus to paint a 3000 sq. ft house? Even with regional variations, that seems a little steep to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House