U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM

17 posts, read 132,777 times

Advertisements

I've had an issue for the last couple of weeks with a bit of a house fly infestation. Not your small fruit flies, but the bigger, more annoying typical house fly. I'm used to seeing one or two here and there, but now when I get home in the evenings I will see 7-15 or flies buzzing around my patio door. I went under the crawl space last weekend and didn't see any dead animals, but it definitely seems like the flies are coming from the fireplace area, or possibly through some floor vents. I sprayed a good bit of home pest control stuff down one of the vents, all around the patio doors and all around and inside the fireplace. Now the last couple of days, I've found 20-30 dead flies on the floor by the patio doors!

At this point, I'd like to call an exterminator, but I've heard it is hard for them to deal with flying insects. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on how to solve this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 AM

857 posts, read 1,752,911 times
Don't waste your money on an exterminator for flies. There is a product I have had great success with (some years ago) that is in a short cardboard tube. You pull on a string from one end and it begins to unwind an extremely sticky, molasses-like roll of film. You just hang it somewhere and dangle it and the flies will be attracted to it and get stuck really good. It's a type of flypaper and it is very effective. I wish I could remember the name for you. I may still have one around the house and if I can find it, I will post the name tonight.

We have a large, fat cat at home that successfully catches flies against the window and gobbles them right up. Gross, but quite efficient!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
T|K

806 posts, read 1,358,571 times
I have used the sticky fly tape stuff as well with good sucess.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 AM

1,579 posts, read 491,011 times
You can make your own "fly strips". Cut 4 or 5 long strips about 2 inches wide from brown paper bags. Mix 1/4 cup corn syrup and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl and spread it on the strips with a knife. Hang the strips over a bowl to catch drips.

Hang a pine bough in the kitchen (flies dislike pine oil). Whole or ground cloves in a small muslin teabag make a good fly-repelling hanging sachet. You can mix in bay leaves and eucalyptus too.Hang pomanders on doors filled with citrus peels and mint. You can also place potted basil plants in infested areas.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM

17,580 posts, read 21,138,047 times
I had this problem about a year ago. Turned out a raw potato got lodged between the refrigerator and a cabinet.

We tried a few things before we found the potato that kind of worked. But in the end if you don't find the source it isn't going to do you much good. One method that actually worked pretty well was this (we never thought it would work, but it did).

Bags of Water

One of the most effective home remedies to get rid of flies involves hanging clear plastic bags of water near outdoor entryways. This might sound like a ridiculous way to get rid of flies, but people who live on farms, and those who operate fruit stands use this home remedy to get rid of flies on a regular basis.

There is more than one theory behind this home remedy, and the first theory hinges on the natural instincts and the poor eyesight of flies. Clear bags of water are said to cast images that to a fly resemble spider webs, and flies steer clear of anything that resembles a web. The other theory claims the reflection of the water disorients flies, and this illusion is said to be an effective way to get rid of flies and greatly control their numbers. Whatever the reason, this home remedy is said to really work.

Simply fill gallon size bags of water about halfway full, and hang the bags outdoor areas where flies are a problem. Suspend the bags near entryways, garage doors, and anywhere else files seem to graze. According to this home remedy, you’ll notice a great reduction in the fly population almost immediately.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 PM

736 posts, read 1,048,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I had this problem about a year ago. Turned out a raw potato got lodged between the refrigerator and a cabinet.

We tried a few things before we found the potato that kind of worked. But in the end if you don't find the source it isn't going to do you much good. One method that actually worked pretty well was this (we never thought it would work, but it did).

Bags of Water

One of the most effective home remedies to get rid of flies involves hanging clear plastic bags of water near outdoor entryways. This might sound like a ridiculous way to get rid of flies, but people who live on farms, and those who operate fruit stands use this home remedy to get rid of flies on a regular basis.

There is more than one theory behind this home remedy, and the first theory hinges on the natural instincts and the poor eyesight of flies. Clear bags of water are said to cast images that to a fly resemble spider webs, and flies steer clear of anything that resembles a web. The other theory claims the reflection of the water disorients flies, and this illusion is said to be an effective way to get rid of flies and greatly control their numbers. Whatever the reason, this home remedy is said to really work.

Simply fill gallon size bags of water about halfway full, and hang the bags outdoor areas where flies are a problem. Suspend the bags near entryways, garage doors, and anywhere else files seem to graze. According to this home remedy, you’ll notice a great reduction in the fly population almost immediately.
I agree about the Bags of water. We noticed after moving to Tennessee that the flies were horrible. We saw numerous houses with bags stapled all around the eaves. Everyone here swears by it.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 215,094 times
Default Exactly same problem as poste by bonzovt; what do I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzovt View Post
I've had an issue for the last couple of weeks with a bit of a house fly infestation. Not your small fruit flies, but the bigger, more annoying typical house fly. I'm used to seeing one or two here and there, but now when I get home in the evenings I will see 7-15 or flies buzzing around my patio door. I went under the crawl space last weekend and didn't see any dead animals, but it definitely seems like the flies are coming from the fireplace area, or possibly through some floor vents. I sprayed a good bit of home pest control stuff down one of the vents, all around the patio doors and all around and inside the fireplace. Now the last couple of days, I've found 20-30 dead flies on the floor by the patio doors!

At this point, I'd like to call an exterminator, but I've heard it is hard for them to deal with flying insects. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on how to solve this problem?
I have exactly the same problem. I've been living in my current house in the Boston area for 8 years, and this is the first time I have flies problem. They come from the crawl space connected to my basement. I got in last Sunday but didn't smell anything, nor did I find any dead animal. I sprayed tons of bug killer and it was fine for a day or so. This morning, they are all over my basement again. How can I find the breeding ground in the crawl space and what chemicals should I used to kill them at the source???

Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 215,094 times
Default House flies, posting tip

I just talked with a professional exterminator, who was tremendously helpful. He said that if I didn't see any dead animal nor smell anything unusual in the crawl space, chances are he wouldn't be able to find the breeding source, either. It could be hidden between walls, etc. He suggested to use liquid pesticide to spray the entire crawl space (wearing goggles and other protection), and spray the lowest shingles outside the crawl space. The amount of spray is that it'd be too much if it's dripping.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 50,405 times
To handle this problem you dont need to buy anything. As the sun goes down, turn off all the lights in the house. Then turn on either the front or back porch light on. They will all just simply fly out

Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM

2,091 posts, read 2,605,590 times
Fly Control - How to Kill and Get Rid Of Flies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House