Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times

Advertisements

I have a brad nailer...it's actually a
Husky brand 100 psi air compressor
w/ attachments

from Home Depot/Lowes

but I only use it for the little nails for crown molding/baseboards...

just got it out of the kitchen (been renovating so my stuff was in the kitchen this winter) to use- Spring is here!

And I plugged it in, turned it on...nothing....

checked the plug ins...they work.... went to another plug in...still won't turn on.

Is there something I can do to get it to work again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
The air compressor? Sounds like the motor/compressor got stuck. Was the tank left to drain while sitting?

If it's the nailer getting stuck ... was it oiled prior to use every time?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Tank left to drain while sitting?

I've only turned it off and on.

The attachment that is that actual nailer gun...no problem...kinda like a stapler...just refill it when it gets empty.

The on/off switch is all I mess with...and I turn it on...nothing is happening.

{this is 100psi--- the guy at the store said there was no draining required since this is so low....it loses so much just by virtue of it sitting for 5 minutes, so I've never drained it}

Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Check the breaker on the air compressor.Drain the tank so mositure doesnot buildup in the tank and rust inside. Read the instruction book.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Have you tried it on any other "plug-ins" than the ones in the kitchen? Your compressor may have tripped a GFI.

Any number of things could be wrong. Small, cheap and "Husky" don't always add up to enduring quality.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
What Narfcake is saying is compressor tanks MUST be drained after every use. There is a petcock at the bottom of the tank that you release the air and it spits out water or condensation. If you don't do this then the inside of the compressor tank will rust and rot and one day when you turn it on the tank will bust open and explode sending shrapnel everywhere.

But this is not why your motor will not start. For that I'm not sure anyone here can say except make some suggestions you can check.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the tip on draining the tank...I'll make sure I do that once I get it to turn on.

Yes, I have tried other outlets....just won't cut on.

I guess this one is just broke! But for 100 psi- a cheapo should work...and darn if I'm not 1 room away from being done with my whole house renovation! Guess I'll have to get another one- I'm surely not going back to hammer and nails...that was murder!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
If you're one room away, just do the hammer and nails. It's not that bad.

The thing about not draining the tank ... moisture accumulates, and causes corrosion, not just in the tank, but in the cylinder head too (yes, aluminum can corrode too!). Which may explain why it doesn't want to turn on.

If you're handy, dismantle it to see if that's what the issue is. It's broken already ... it's not like it's going to get worse by taking it apart.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Thanks for the tip on draining the tank...I'll make sure I do that once I get it to turn on.

Yes, I have tried other outlets....just won't cut on.

I guess this one is just broke! But for 100 psi- a cheapo should work...and darn if I'm not 1 room away from being done with my whole house renovation! Guess I'll have to get another one- I'm surely not going back to hammer and nails...that was murder!
I really wish I could put my hands on it. This is the sort of thing that is very difficult to diagnose via internet (or diagnose period).

Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I really wish I could put my hands on it. This is the sort of thing that is very difficult to diagnose via internet (or diagnose period).
I think these same words when people ask questions. Frustrating huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House