Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
amp amp started this thread

519 posts, read 1,509,234 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are building a home and one of the upgrades is central vacuum. Does anyone have this or have any opinions on this? Does it work well? Is it worth it?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,291,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
Hi,
We are building a home and one of the upgrades is central vacuum. Does anyone have this or have any opinions on this? Does it work well? Is it worth it?

TIA

we bought a 5 year old resale that has central vac the seller LOVES it, and Im excited about it she said it was the best investment she made..

Old 06-04-2007, 08:59 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,370 times
One of my dearest friends has a central vac and she swears by it. I would have done it in the house we're building, but we don't have a closet large enough on the main floor to store the hoses!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,061,970 times
WOW ... this is new to me. Never heard of it before. Can someone describe? It's OK to laugh. I am definitely intrigued!

SL

Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
WOW ... this is new to me. Never heard of it before. Can someone describe? It's OK to laugh. I am definitely intrigued!

SL
I call it the travel vaccum, I take the hose into each room and plug it in and walla I am vaccuming without an actual unit so to speak..however im sorry I cant explain it maybe the original poster can...I will say this ive never had one so this should be very interesting..

Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 PM

673 posts, read 2,671,578 times
Default Central Vac

I just posted on another thread about this a few days ago. Yes the central vac is awesome! We just built a house with it, and I am so glad we got it. We also have a vac pan in the kitchen which you can sweep crumbs into and it sucks it up into the central vac (no more bending to sweep into a dustpan). Our unit is in our garage & it has an outlet on the unit itself, which we didn't know would be there. This is great because we can now buy extra attachments for a car vac, and use it there! The best part of the central vac is using it on wood floors. You don't need the motor of the vacuum for this, and it so quick and easy.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM

146 posts, read 636,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
I call it the travel vaccum, I take the hose into each room and plug it in and walla I am vaccuming without an actual unit so to speak..however im sorry I cant explain it maybe the original poster can...I will say this ive never had one so this should be very interesting..
it is very convienent since we have a two story house. was at the house in April doing some painting and on one of the days the guy who installed the vacuum came over to show me how it operates. very strong suction, it pulls you along. told the wife and daughter they will enjoy vacuuming. the base is mounted in the garage and you can also use it to vacuum out you car, a nice feature.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I just posted on another thread about this a few days ago. Yes the central vac is awesome! We just built a house with it, and I am so glad we got it. We also have a vac pan in the kitchen which you can sweep crumbs into and it sucks it up into the central vac (no more bending to sweep into a dustpan). Our unit is in our garage & it has an outlet on the unit itself, which we didn't know would be there. This is great because we can now buy extra attachments for a car vac, and use it there! The best part of the central vac is using it on wood floors. You don't need the motor of the vacuum for this, and it so quick and easy.

Oh so that is what I have in my kitchen???? thanks FL im glad u posted that

Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 AM
amp amp started this thread

519 posts, read 1,509,234 times
Im so glad the responses have been good! We will have hardwood throughout the main floor, from what FLtoNC wrote its good for use with wood? Also, never thought about the vacuuming out of the car, DH will love that! Hopefully it will be a good enough selling point as its on the "wish" list right now rather than the definate upgrades

Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM

673 posts, read 2,671,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
Oh so that is what I have in my kitchen???? thanks FL im glad u posted that
Yes, that's probably what you have in your kitchen. Mine has a lever that you kick with your foot to turn it on. When you do, you should hear the loud suction, and then you just sweep the crumbs right into it. Then you kick it again, and it turns off. It is very convenient!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House