Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 07:19 PM

71 posts, read 430,184 times

Advertisements

I have these rotting railroad tie retaining walls on two sides of my house (with a walkout basement). After this last winter, one side is totally blown out. I've removed some of the ties that were being used as stairs (not part of the wall) and they shredded as I lifted them.

1st Question: If I have a cinderblock basement that is lower than the retaining walls, are these retaining walls important for the structural integrity of the house? (In other words, do I need to get this fixed NOW?)

2nd Question: Next to my driveway, there is a slope that goes down towards the retaining wall. I'd like to put in a retaining wall RIGHT NEXT TO the driveway, then have it flat, then have the 2nd retaining wall. This would be a short retaining wall (about 6"). Can I put in a retaining wall adjacent to the driveway, or does that cause drainage problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 06:58 AM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Pictures?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
It would be better to show pictures and maybe then you would get a better answer. Off hand, I think the wall next to the driveway may cause draniage problems. Especially if you already thought of it. Take some pictures and let's see the lay of the land and go from there.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 22,950 times
Hi, I'm a structural engineer. The retaining wall has nothing to do with the house's basement walls. You should get it fix if you don't want messy soil everywhere in case the retaining walls fail.

ShaneSA is correct. There is possibly a drainage problem. My mother-in-law's house in TN has that problem. Her yard/driveway is poorly graded. It slopes all the wrong way. Her driveway is always collecting water after a rainy day.

p.s. This is my first post! I stumble across this forum while researching garden window info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyDaysForever View Post
I have these rotting railroad tie retaining walls on two sides of my house (with a walkout basement). After this last winter, one side is totally blown out. I've removed some of the ties that were being used as stairs (not part of the wall) and they shredded as I lifted them.

1st Question: If I have a cinderblock basement that is lower than the retaining walls, are these retaining walls important for the structural integrity of the house? (In other words, do I need to get this fixed NOW?)

2nd Question: Next to my driveway, there is a slope that goes down towards the retaining wall. I'd like to put in a retaining wall RIGHT NEXT TO the driveway, then have it flat, then have the 2nd retaining wall. This would be a short retaining wall (about 6"). Can I put in a retaining wall adjacent to the driveway, or does that cause drainage problems?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 PM

761 posts, read 3,414,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceci1628 View Post
Hi, I'm a structural engineer. The retaining wall has nothing to do with the house's basement walls. You should get it fix if you don't want messy soil everywhere in case the retaining walls fail.

ShaneSA is correct. There is possibly a drainage problem. My mother-in-law's house in TN has that problem. Her yard/driveway is poorly graded. It slopes all the wrong way. Her driveway is always collecting water after a rainy day.

p.s. This is my first post! I stumble across this forum while researching garden window info.
Welcome! There are plenty of people in need of structural engineer questions around here, so if you stick around you are going to have some questions!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 PM

71 posts, read 430,184 times
Here's some pictures of the driveway. The driveway drains fine now. Also, it is sloped down towards the street. I'm not sure that water really drains off the sides of the driveway where the short retaining wall would be, but I'm still concerned?

You can see where soil is eroding from underneath the driveway. Also, that's a stump I'm digging out.

Red Lines mark where I'd like to put the 1st retaining wall (about 6"-1' tall).

It looks really bad in person. I can't seem to capture how bad it is with the camera.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 AM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
What I can tell from the pictures-

The driveway is getting undermined right at the garage- not good. And all indications say that drainage is occurring at that area. So, the last thing you want to do is put a wall right against the drive (as indicated in the 2nd pic). You would actually be forcing water(run-off) underneath the drive. Keep the wall in it's original location- just make it taller (6" lower than the drive). And be sure to use a deadman system. It will prevent the wall from peeling over like it is now. What would help that corner would be to run the wall about 2' past the corner of the garage and turn it back into the foundation. Pipe the downspout down and under the wall and at least five feet from the foundation and/or retaining wall.

As far as the wall on the other side- it appears to be nothing more than a raised bed. I'd get rid of it and re-establish a good positive grade away from the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House