Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times

Advertisements

We had a new tankless water heater installed. Once the plumber came back and worked out all the kinks/got the settings set right, I like it for the most part. Not so much in love with the hole in the (plaster) wall he left for us to patch thought. We have a bunch of friends who think they can patch it with drywall then mud it to blend in. Since it will be behind the dryer anyway, we will try it. If it turns out terrible we have a few phone numbers to call. But we'd rather not pay someone for it because....

After having the old water heater out, we are able to see clearly now a nice sized leak coming from our bath tub drain. So the plumber is already back again, to fix that.

As I type this, my husband is desperately trying to cut a hole in the bathroom wall to insert a new recessed medicine cabinet. It is not going well because the studs are not where he thought they would be. Apparently his studfinder does not work thru plaster AND drywall.

That's right-- This end of the house is plaster on the bottom half of the walls, then on the top half there is drywall with plaster OVER it?!?!?! I was wondering why the walls had drywall seams when they're plaster. Actually, I'm still wondering. Non-plaster walls is now on the must-have list for the next house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
ACK! Sorry to hear of your trials there campmom, I feel your pain.

Our house was built in 1902 and there are many rooms that we've learned (over the years) that are gypsum board over plaster and lath.

Yeah, stud finders are pretty useless in old houses...it's the lath that's the problem. Also the studs were not spaced that same distance apart as they are now. (16")

And of course older homes don't always have the same distance apart in the same freakin' room even!

Did you free up some interior floorspace when you 86'ed that stupid old water tank heater??

Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times
yeah, once we fix the wall the "laundry room" should look much better, like a laundry area instead of a catch-all utility area right off the kitchen. That's my dream anyway.

The weird thing in here is that the drywall is on first, then plaster over it, sometimes with the wire stuff, sometimes not. My husband said maybe it's a special drywall that they used to put plaster on before they realized they could JUST use drywall WITHOUT plaster and that's much easier

We ended our night tonite with finding a tire on our only vehicle completely flat, hopefully not ruined. We really don't need that in addition to these house things going on (not to mention my husbands dental stuff he's been dealing with lately too-- too much going on!!!!)

Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,907 times
Wow, sorry to hear about the troubles. You'll get through it! I still have yet to see the movie "Money Pit", but it is on my list for sure and if you haven't seen it, you might want to check it out.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Heh, I love that movie. Sometimes I feel like I'm living it, though.

Older houses have studs set on 12" centers in a lot of cases, if that helps with the medicine cabinet issue.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
Wow, sorry to hear about the troubles. You'll get through it! I still have yet to see the movie "Money Pit", but it is on my list for sure and if you haven't seen it, you might want to check it out.
We rented "The Money Pit" the day we went into contract on our house. It was eerily familiar. At least my stairway hasn't fallen down....yet.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:01 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
We rented "The Money Pit" the day we went into contract on our house. It was eerily familiar. At least my stairway hasn't fallen down....yet.
Neither has mine, actually... then again, it's a 1 story house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House