U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:50 PM

11,200 posts, read 9,353,217 times
Default How much should I pay to get a garage spring replaced?

The spring on my (2 car garage) door snapped this weekend. It's one of those large torsion springs, like this one:

Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement

I'm usually a religius DIY devotee, but I'm not sure I want to tackle this one. How much should I expect to pay to have it done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 PM

10,427 posts, read 28,674,228 times
You have no choice. It takes a trained pro to repair or replace those springs. They are under tremendous tension and you could injure or kill yourself trying to do it yourself. Do not try!!

A service call and replacement of both springs should cost you less then $150.00

Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM

4,475 posts, read 8,090,496 times
I think it was a little less than $200 when we had it done, and it was one of those things that whoever you called would quote you essentially whatever the going/market rate was for the area without much variation.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 PM

8,310 posts, read 20,710,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The spring on my (2 car garage) door snapped this weekend. It's one of those large torsion springs, like this one:

Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement

I'm usually a religius DIY devotee, but I'm not sure I want to tackle this one. How much should I expect to pay to have it done?
I've replaced a set before without injury or notable incident, but it was pretty flippin' stupid of me. Basically, I risked my health, good looks and (to some extent) my life to save about $100 on the service call.

If you have two torsion springs you probably want to replace them both. Depending on what kind of springs you need you are probably looking at a bill of about $185 - $300.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,268,786 times
If one went, the other usually isn't far behind it for breaking as well. After all they each have made the same number of cycles up an down. call somebody in to replace them both. There is just too much tension to mess around with them if you don't have the right tools to do the job.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,353,217 times
Thanks to all!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 AM

5,154 posts, read 8,862,613 times
I've replaced a set before and I'll say that there was a lot of sweating going on while doing it. It's not too difficult once you understand what's the safest way to do it, but there is a lot of tension (pun intended), while you're working on it.

Oh, the reason I did it myself, is that the quote for labor was about the same price as the new garage door I put in.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM

2,900 posts, read 6,344,757 times
I had this done exactly a year ago. They came out within the hour after one of the springs broke, and replaced both of them. The cost for everything was $189.

Frank

Old 04-07-2010, 04:28 AM

860 posts, read 1,812,700 times
We have a 3-car garage with a 2-stall door and a single-stall door. Naturally the big door breaks springs much more often than the little one because it's under so much stress. Last summer we did a full garage remodel and it was right in the midst of the painting that the spring on the big door gave up the ghost yet again. Of course it did it right at the end of the day so the door folks couldn't make it out until the next day.

You can be DIY religious all you want but all it took for me was watching them pop that tensioned spring loose and I don't even want to breathe near that thing. It is under a tremendous amount of pressure and it will rip your arm clean off if you give it the chance. I think we paid $125 parts and labor....it was worth every penny.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 AM

12,146 posts, read 21,268,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
We have a 3-car garage with a 2-stall door and a single-stall door. Naturally the big door breaks springs much more often than the little one because it's under so much stress. Last summer we did a full garage remodel and it was right in the midst of the painting that the spring on the big door gave up the ghost yet again. Of course it did it right at the end of the day so the door folks couldn't make it out until the next day.

You can be DIY religious all you want but all it took for me was watching them pop that tensioned spring loose and I don't even want to breathe near that thing. It is under a tremendous amount of pressure and it will rip your arm clean off if you give it the chance. I think we paid $125 parts and labor....it was worth every penny.
Next time try a different door company, because it sounds like they are cheaping out with the replacement springs. the size of the door doesn't make a difference in the lifespan of the springs. I installed overhead doors for years and can tell you the springs on a 24' wide, 22' tall overhead door will last just as long as a pair on a 9' X 7' if they are the right springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House