Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wear shoes in the house?
Yes 26 33.33%
No 52 66.67%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,333,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No - I'm not kidding.

Shoes are regularly worn in my home - and in my area. Saves us from being bitten by unwanted ... "visitors"
Where do you live - the desert??

Yes, wearing some sort of shoe in the home is fine - some of us with plantar fascitis aren't supposed to go barefoot. But use a pair of shoes that are strictly "indoor" shoes - ones that never go out in public.

When you walk around nasty city streets or even some country roads, and especially if you use public restrooms during the day, you are picking up things like feces, urine, vomit, spit, spilled sugary soft drinks, pollen - all kinds of nastiness on the soles of your shoes.

Just because you wipe your feet at the door when you get home doesn't mean all the germs or allergens from that stuff are gone. If you keep your shoes on you are bringing into your home all that germy, vile stuff. YUCK, that is just gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,841,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Yes, wearing some sort of shoe in the home is fine - some of us with plantar fascitis aren't supposed to go barefoot. But use a pair of shoes that are strictly "indoor" shoes - ones that never go out in public.

When you walk around nasty city streets or even some country roads, and especially if you use public restrooms during the day, you are picking up things like feces, urine, vomit, spit, spilled sugary soft drinks, pollen - all kinds of nastiness on the soles of your shoes.

Just because you wipe your feet at the door when you get home doesn't mean all the germs or allergens from that stuff are gone. If you keep your shoes on you are bringing into your home all that germy, vile stuff. YUCK, that is just gross.
And when you walk around barefoot you are tracking around dead skin cells, bacteria, and fungus. YUCK.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,333,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
And when you walk around barefoot you are tracking around dead skin cells, bacteria, and fungus. YUCK.
YOUR dead skin cells at least, LOL!!!

Seriously, that stuff is naturally occuring and can't be avoided. Tracking someone elses feces or some animal urine into your home CAN be

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,131,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yep. Javelina. Coyotes. Scorpions.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,366,214 times
I'm wondering if all these people who are worried about tracking 'stuff' into the house on the soles of their shoes ... do they ever go barefoot outside? Do they touch public doorknobs or handles? Did they never play in the dirt or make mudpies as a child?

Old 04-11-2010, 12:30 AM

422 posts, read 1,467,809 times
do bedroom slippers count? i don't wear my regular outdoor shoes in the house...but i'd change into my indoor slippers the minute i step into the house.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,783,869 times
Sometimes but I try not to. I have a designated area for shoes near the door and have designated "house shoes" for inside (crocs, flip-flops, slippers) depending on the time of year.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgoodwin39 View Post
I do not wear shoes in the house, nor do my children. My husband does and it drive me nuts!
You're living my life.

My husband says "I'm going back outside."

His other great excuse is that the dogs don't take off their shoes.

Sometimes having a husband is like having a child.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm wondering if all these people who are worried about tracking 'stuff' into the house on the soles of their shoes ... do they ever go barefoot outside? Do they touch public doorknobs or handles? Did they never play in the dirt or make mudpies as a child?
I'm not worried about tracking germs into the house.

I just don't like the house getting dirty faster by making a bigger mess than necessary.

I don't want to spend my life cleaning.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Hate wearing shoes, hate wearing a bra. I don't wear either at home.
Same here! It's mostly a comfort thing for me too. When I get home, I take off my shoes, go upstairs and change my clothes into something comfortable. I couldn't imagine sitting and watching TV in my shoes. My husband seems strange to me when he does it. And I hate when he's wearing is dirty shoes---the ones that he reserves for outside chores and working on the car. They're white shoes that are almost black from dirt. I see no reason for them to be inside my house messing up my floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House