Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:38 AM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times

Advertisements

Bleach is nasty and strong, probably should only be used for occasional cleaning.

And mixing bleach with anything, yeah, you better know what you are doing or it could be fatal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 11:59 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
With a number of years under my belt dealing with movie theatres, janitors, cleaning services, and as a jobber for janitorial products, a couple of comments:

1. Pine oil is a MISERABLE cleaner. One location had been using it in restrooms for years, and the oil residue had turned into something similar to tacky shellac. It took three separate attempts at stripping to remove most of it. Theatres that used pine oil were the WORST at having roach problems. Whether food was sticking to the floor, whether the roaches were eating the pine oil itself, I did not know. I didn't ask the roaches. Once the pine oil cleaners were removed, a lot of sticky auditorium floors also suddenly were no longer sticky - however, the chewing out of the cleaning staff and proper instruction on cleaning may have had an effect there as well.

2. Limonene and orangene based cleaners are decent, but some of the concentrate industrial (detergent) cleaners are even more amazing when used with proper portion control.

3. Listerene was once marketed as floor cleaner before "bad breath" was invented for it to cure.

4. A weak bleach solution is best used only for kitchen and counter areas. The health departments of many states required a sanitizing bleach solution and test kit be on premises or the inspector would fail the inspection. Bleach was cheap, testing was easy, and it was effective, so it became the standard sanitizer. Unfortunately, the grease issues in restaurants and food service respond to another cheap product - ammonia.

5. The "Awesome" cleaning products sold at Dollar Tree are more effective than many, if not most, expensive brand name products.

6. Cleaning products should be switched out from time to time. Each has its own weaknesses, so swapping out for a different type of product every once in a while can keep things cleaner.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:38 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeleyes000246 View Post
Do not mix the two... I just made a bleach /water mixture and forgot to rinse the mop which was used in pine sol last. It Made a huge gas cloud and took my breath away. I had to go outside and get fresh air.
crazy. people are crazy.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
I was a dairy farmer who rotationally grazed my dairy herd.
Twice a day they got moved to a new strip of grass.

An 1100 gallon water tank was filled and moved daily to provide water in the grazing paddocks. I had problems with my float on the gravity valve that controlled the level of water in a 100 gallon tank that the water wagon emptied into due to algae forming in the big tank and tiny pieces of algae affecting the valve.

The solution from the County Extension office ?.........Bleach !

There was a ratio of how many ounces of bleach to add per 100 gallons of water each time I filled it. It did not affect the amount of water cows consumed and my 1100 gallon poly tank stayed clean all summer.

Plumber recommended occasionally to pour a water /bleach mix in my house A/C condensation pipe that that drains outside in order to prevent blockage by algae.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:01 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh my God, you are lucky he didn't create a vapor cloud that knocked you and himself out!

These are two things that should never be mixed!

Sounds like you did the right thing by ventilating the place. Be sure to educate him about the dangers of this for the future!
Please do chemicals like these should never be mixed , time he was educated. and one I didnt know about myself. mixing bleach with vinegar, not that Ive ever did this but worth knowing about..

The combination sounds like it'd be a powerful disinfectant, but the two should never be mixed. "Together, they produce chlorine gas, which even at low levels, can cause coughing, breathing problems, and burning, watery eyes,"

Old 07-10-2017, 06:27 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Please do chemicals like these should never be mixed , time he was educated. and one I didnt know about myself. mixing bleach with vinegar, not that Ive ever did this but worth knowing about..

The combination sounds like it'd be a powerful disinfectant, but the two should never be mixed. "Together, they produce chlorine gas, which even at low levels, can cause coughing, breathing problems, and burning, watery eyes,"
I worked for a large chemical company fifty years ago and I mixed powders; but we had a liquid mixing room. There we would combine one ton cylinders of chlorine with sodium hydroxide in an 8000 gallon mixer. The whole building would shake during the addition of the chlorine it was such a strong reaction. I remember that I was a smoker at that time and if I walked through the liquid mixing room I had to throw out my, even unopened, pack of cigarettes. The chlorine immediately changed the taste of every cigarette in the package. But I survived; even with fumes many times stronger than most are ever exposed to.

I am not saying that chlorine is not dangerous. You should have a healthy respect for it and know when to get to fresh air.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I worked for a large chemical company fifty years ago and I mixed powders; but we had a liquid mixing room. There we would combine one ton cylinders of chlorine with sodium hydroxide in an 8000 gallon mixer.
That's how you make bleach.

Quote:
But I survived; even with fumes many times stronger than most are ever exposed to.
Bet you had the whitest whites even before they went in the laundry, too!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:19 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Remembering my farming days and using bleach on my 1100 gallon water tank to prevent algae...................my bird bath gets bad with algae despite my frequent changing of water.

Yesterday I dumped out the water and refilled then added just a splash of bleach.

This morning the water and bird bath are sparkling clean and there is no bleach odor detected.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:05 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That's how you make bleach.

Bet you had the whitest whites even before they went in the laundry, too!
No; I believe that we were making chlorinated hydrocarbons. Which I think were used as organic solvents. Like I stated before; I mixed powders and that was in our 'liquid' room - so I could be wrong. We did make industrial cleaners for many different purposes.

We made one product from our liquid room that contained these chlorinated hydrocarbons and it would strip the grime and paint off an old carburetor so it looked like new. It was so strong that it even ate the rubber 'O' rings. But it was great for a carburetor rebuild. However; I think that they took it off the market because of DEP regulations.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:51 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I was there while he was mopping, but didnt know the solution he used till after. So I googled and wasnt pleased. Anything I should do now, as far as safety measures?

It was about 6-8 hours since he mopped the area. I opened all the windows, is the area safe to stay?
Clearly he is trying to kill everyone within a small radius. You survived the first wave. Take measures to ensure you will be alive for the second. And thank you for realizing that the zombie apocopylyse is real and very much headed our way. I dont own an Ak 47 but I am certain that I can purchase one without knowing how the F to shoot it. I hope Carol will turn up soon and rescue me. Older women are the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House