Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times

Advertisements

What do you think...

When a home is a one story (ranch) home which looks better for the house color...

A darker color like a taupe or a lighter color like a cream?

Just trying to determine if there is a design concept here I am not aware of saying that a shorter home looks better with one versus the other.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,110,362 times
I have a ranch as well. I tend to like darker colors for most homes because lighter colors are so common. My house is grey/off white. Eh, for all I know it's just dirty lol. We just purchased last year.

Any way, if I had my choice I would do a darker flat green, with light/med brown trim near the doors and perhaps a white trim around the windows for contrast. I vote taupe either way!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have a ranch as well. I tend to like darker colors for most homes because lighter colors are so common. My house is grey/off white. Eh, for all I know it's just dirty lol. We just purchased last year.

Any way, if I had my choice I would do a darker flat green, with light/med brown trim near the doors and perhaps a white trim around the windows for contrast. I vote taupe either way!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!!

I love taupe for the siding with forest green accents myself - but my husband doesn't like ANY greens He wants something called "cobblestone" which is more of a very light gray. It's pretty enough, but plain, and so light that I began to wonder which looks better on a ranch - darker colors or lighter colors

Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond!!

I love taupe for the siding with forest green accents myself - but my husband doesn't like ANY greens He wants something called "cobblestone" which is more of a very light gray. It's pretty enough, but plain, and so light that I began to wonder which looks better on a ranch - darker colors or lighter colors
I checked out some taupe homes on google images. Very pretty and ooohh, the green accents would be nice. Yes, cobblestone would be pretty plain. Maybe you could pick up some kind of design book or get a program to show him how your way is best.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I checked out some taupe homes on google images. Very pretty and ooohh, the green accents would be nice. Yes, cobblestone would be pretty plain. Maybe you could pick up some kind of design book or get a program to show him how your way is best.

hahahaha - not a bad idea!

give me a sec, I want to post a pic I want your opinion on...

Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 PM

I'm not sure how taupe this is, but it looks great.

And with a daker color. Pretty funky. I would do a white trim rather than blue or whatever color that is.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 PM

Okay, this house is similar in color to what my husband wants. I think what makes it is that color around all the windows

I told him I could live with this color scheme if we did the windows - and he is fine with that. But, this is a two story, my house isn't, so I am concerned with how this would all look on a ranch.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how taupe this is, but it looks great.

And with a daker color. Pretty funky. I would do a white trim rather than blue or whatever color that is.

Love the pics!

I agree, white trim for me only.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,775,696 times
I like lighter colors better on single stories esp if the roof height is not that much. The color choice will also depend on the neighborhood and climate IMO. Having said that, lighter colors would show dirt sooner, so that is one drawback.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Love the pics!

I agree, white trim for me only.
I like the coloring of that two-story, but I understand your concern. Even so, the color scheme can probably be translated. Here's a ranch that I believe is taupe, but a darker shade.

The white trim is key, but I would lose the red door, and put a different accent color around it. The green you noted might be nice.

Maybe you could also start a scrap book of stuff you find on the net, at home depot in books, and pics around your neighborhood. I'm doing something like that right now, but I'm starting a garden calendar book (at the advice of a colleague at work). I'll be taking pics of what grows where and when on my property so I can have an idea of what to expect, what to plant, and when it happens.

It's exciting that you're going to get a new color. New siding too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House