U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 AM

2,962 posts, read 2,869,867 times

Advertisements

The only way to really tell if you are saving anything is if you had a meter on your water heater. There are too many variations from month to month to just look at your bill and decide if you saved much by keeping it off.

Without the meter, I'm confident (with my background) to say that turning it off for a day or 1/2 day would be detrimental to your bill. However, over the course of a weekend or a week, it would probably help.

My water heater has a vacation setting where it keeps the water at 50 or so to prevent damage from freezing water. If someone does plan to do this, either put it on vacation/cabin mode or manually set the temp down. Don't just flip the circuit breaker (unless you live in a climate where no freezing temps are expected while away).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 AM

445 posts, read 1,340,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Pigankle and Charles are correct, from a heat transfer point of view. The heat required to raise one pound of water from 59 to 60F at normal atmospheric pressure is the definition of a BTU.
Thanks - I thought that BTU= the energy required to raise one pound of water one degree F. I am happy to find out that the sunamis (sic?) of Jack Daniels did not kill all the grey matter..

I too used to go out of town 3 days a week and I would get up Tues morning and turn the water heater off - then get in the shower - thus using the hot water that was in the tank - at least most of it. when I came back Thur night I would pop the breaker back ON...you will only forget to do that once, if you have to take a quick shower Fri morning and find no WARM water.....

The only other thing to consider is what temperature do you have your water heater set to - mine is at 120. The higher you have it set the more energy you use to get it up to temp. I do not shower at 120 but doing dishes is better. My heater is way to hard to adjust the temp setting but freezing temps are not that common. Good point to keep in mind..

Old 04-14-2010, 03:36 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
That is why most heaters have a vacation setting to reduce the cost when you not needing the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or