Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM

99 posts, read 612,444 times

Advertisements

We are getting quotes to refinish the hardwood floors in our home. One area that the quotes differ is that some contractors remove and reattach the baseboards and others say that we don't need to.

In theory, I can see that having the baseboards off would yield the best result. However, the baseboards are made of MDF, so they may not be in very good shape after being taken off and reattached. If there were fewer pieces, I would cut new ones and just replace them, but with 36 different pieces of baseboard, that's a significant time investment.

Searching the Internet, I find varying recommendations with regards to removing baseboards and refinishing floors. Could anyone inject some experience on the topic? If we don't remove them, how close to the baseboards could the floor be refinished and will there be a noticeable lip between the refinished and original sections?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
The 1/4 round base trim should be removed at the very least, IMO. Yes, there will be a noticable difference between the original and refinish, if not in level, in finish/color.

Ask for references and see if you can get one of the references to let you look at the job your prospective contractor completed. The only thing worse than hardwood floors that need refinished are those that have been refinished poorly!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewba View Post
We are getting quotes to refinish the hardwood floors in our home. One area that the quotes differ is that some contractors remove and reattach the baseboards and others say that we don't need to.

In theory, I can see that having the baseboards off would yield the best result. However, the baseboards are made of MDF, so they may not be in very good shape after being taken off and reattached. If there were fewer pieces, I would cut new ones and just replace them, but with 36 different pieces of baseboard, that's a significant time investment.

Searching the Internet, I find varying recommendations with regards to removing baseboards and refinishing floors. Could anyone inject some experience on the topic? If we don't remove them, how close to the baseboards could the floor be refinished and will there be a noticeable lip between the refinished and original sections?

Thanks
Removing all the baseboard can get pretty tough - not just the difficulty of removing and replacing it, but potentially damaging not only the trim but the wall.

I assume there is also quarter-round on the baseboard. That should be removed. Without doing that you'll have a hard time getting the finished product to look really good.

The nice thing about the removal & replacing of the quarter-round is that it's fairly easy and if you break it (not that I've ever done that ), it is fairly cheap and easy to replace.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,742 times
Usually, only the shoe molding is removed and re-installed (or replaced). If your hardwood floors were originally finished before the baseboards were installed, it's possible that you might not have shoe molding. If this is the case, then it's much easier and cheaper to simply add shoe molding after the floors are refinished, instead of removing and re-installing baseboards.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
some contractors remove and reattach the baseboards

Did they specifically say "Baseboards and/or shoe mold?
And not just shoe mold?
Removing b'bds and shoe would be very time consuming and costly. I'm sure they mean just the shoe mold.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM

99 posts, read 612,444 times
There isn't shoe molding or quarter round, just the baseboards. The floors were almost certainly finished prior to the baseboards being installed; the gap is very tight in some locations and there are a couple of locations with a hint of paint on the floor at the joint.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I would always remove the baseboard. Its not that difficult and the refinishers do it all the time.That way you woudn't see a rise at the baseboardsfrom sanding

Old 04-13-2010, 06:44 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,423 times
We had a situation where, for some odd reason, the previous owners had installed the baseboards over the SUB-floor, therefore, when they put hardwoods down, it came up 3/4" on the baseboard, making the baseboard look really tiny. Since we were replacing the hardwoods, we decided to go ahead and remove AND replace the baseboards (you can buy a contractor's pack yourself of primed pine 3.25" at HD for $50 per 120 linear feet...pretty decent deal). We considered just popping off the old and re-applying them, but the labor cost involved was not much cheaper and it probably would have looked like crap. This would also be a great opportunity to really overhaul your place and install 4.25" or 5.25" baseboards, which would look really nice (although your cost will go up). For me personally, if your baseboards look okay and are sitting on the hardwoods, I would just have shoe mold added and it will probably look really nice.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
There isn't shoe molding or quarter round, just the baseboards. The floors were almost certainly finished prior to the baseboards being installed; the gap is very tight in some locations and there are a couple of locations with a hint of paint on the floor at the joint.
If it were me, I would start thinking about whether I wanted my shoe moulding stained and finished or painted.

I can't really think of a good reason to remove the baseboards unless you just want to inspect the sill plate and studs.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Personally, I remove the baseboards when I refinish floors. However, that's an OCD thing. Can't stand the thought of the entire floor not being refinished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House