Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,541,771 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 12 and she is quite capable of babysitting.

I would have the babysitter sleep on the couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 05:35 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,161,004 times
You might have a sleeping bag handy he can roll out on the couch, if he gets tired before you get in. That is what I used to do when the parents were getting in late and it was easier for me to ahead and stay over night.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,834,437 times
Don't do it... drive her home... Too many crazy accusations can be made against you and your family these days... for YOUR protection- drink some coffee and the wife of the house should drive her home. As a teacher you are taught to always leave a door open so everyone can see your business... never be left alone w/ a student... I am going to say the same goes with a sitter....

Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,612,984 times
First, I don't think that 12 is too young to babysit. Second, if the sitter's parents think it is ok for the child to babysit, and to spend the night because of the lateness, I don't see any problem with that. Third, I would have the sitter sleep in a guest room, so that there would be privacy.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:20 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,437,154 times
I think the child should sleep on the couch until the parents return from their night out. Once they come home he can go upstairs to bed and he will know but not necessarily remember that his responsibility has ended.

I don't yet leave my nearly 12 yr old home alone and therefore he would not be babysitting at this age. In Chicago you cannot leave a child home alone that is under 13. I don't need a visit from DFCS. All states and counties have different laws on the books. When in doubt check with your local authorities.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,213,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm sorry but if a person desperate enough to get away from their baby that they would leave it with a 12 year old child, maybe they should re-examine parenthood.
With all due respect who gives you the right to judge people the way you do? Not just in this thread but many other threads, your entitled to your own opinions and that is fine, but the way you talk down to people like your opinions are better than everyone elses, or your methods to life are better I find to be very rude and uncalled for.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:16 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,015,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stc123 View Post
Our baby sitter is 12 and we will be geting home late so when we get home he is going to sleep at our house. should i have him sleep in one of the bed rooms upstairs or down stairs on the couch?
My opinion is that asking someone to sleep on the couch is uncivilized. I would certainly offer her a bed. What I can't understand is why you cannot drive her home.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-27-2008, 11:21 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,124,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Don't do it... drive her home... Too many crazy accusations can be made against you and your family these days... for YOUR protection- drink some coffee and the wife of the house should drive her home. As a teacher you are taught to always leave a door open so everyone can see your business... never be left alone w/ a student... I am going to say the same goes with a sitter....
Yes! You beat me too it. There is no reason why the child has to spend the night. Wake them up and take them home.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:26 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,124,000 times
I babysat when I was 12 but only for people who lived a short run from my house or closer, and only for a few hours during the day. Never at night. My mom wouldn't have it. She figured at 12 I could only be practicing to be a full-fledged babysitter. I'm glad she didn't give me enough babysitting rope at 12, to hang myself.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:22 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,473,320 times
I'm thinking that perhaps she doesn't want the child to stay over because perhaps they will be drinking while out....and yes, someone might feel comfortable driving themselves after a few beers, but not someone else....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House