Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Forums and chat lines usually work best when the lessor intelligence of the participants actually read, comprehend, then respond, rather then read with hate with a sole purpose to prove those in the know dead wrong, and fail miserably. Not to mention be embarrassed.

I can not find where I said a 24" SB can't be done at all. Those who did more then 2 kitchens in their lifetime may know that nearly all modern kitchens (and homeowners) demand a 2 bowl sink which start at about 32" wide. You can get a 21" sink but I can't remember a family of over 6000 I have done who wanted a 21" single bowl in their kitchen, no matter how small. Including apartments which we do hundreds and hundreds of. All having a minimum of a 30 SB, most at 36".

With the way Plumbers stub in their pipes so haphazardly these days I sure would want at least a 30" to give some fluff for the plumbing location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:21 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
forums and chat lines usually work best when the lessor intelligence

now, now, what 'tute' did you go to?... Oh wait, tx... That explains it.

of the participants actually read, comprehend, then respond, rather then read with hate with a sole purpose to prove those in the know dead wrong, and fail miserably. Not to mention be embarrassed.

I can not find where i said a 24" sb can't be done at all.

direct quote:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/23885262-post56.html

quote:"a 24" sink base? No can do. Not in the kitchen."

'splain to me lucy.

lay off the liquor.

those who did more then 2 kitchens in their lifetime may know that nearly all modern kitchens (and homeowners) demand a 2 bowl sink which start at about 32" wide.

i have two double sinks, and an island sink. You are preaching to the choir (also two dishwashers, so one can be running while the other is being filled. You sell cabinetry, you know, like a used-car salesman sells cars. I designed and built all my own, because the commercially available crap that you sell is not going in my house. Just my personal opinion.

you can get a 21" sink but i can't remember a family of over 6000 i have done who wanted a 21" single bowl in their kitchen, no matter how small. Including apartments which we do hundreds and hundreds of. All having a minimum of a 30 sb, most at 36".

With the way plumbers stub in their pipes so haphazardly these days i sure would want at least a 30" to give some fluff for the plumbing location.
jmho

Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Well...
I will second Supersparkle here and not because of lessor intelligence, nor hate JTBC.

During my many home site visits when I worked in the housing...
I have surveyed some few finished kitchen projects using SB24 for a 25 sink... the carpenters just carved out the sides of the SB24 (of a great quality higher end sides to the cabinet of course... nothing MDF so any water damage will not compromise the structure), attached decorative 3" / 6" fillers on both sides so no attached side cabinet will have to be compromised (like unusable drawers)... and that time is wayyy before the common lines like "kraftmaid" & its like even come up with specialty sink base for an apron front sinks etc...
The only reliant for special SB / custom SB is through the craftmanship skills of a good carpenter.
Not for "even the minimally trained" to be able to install....

SB is usually centered w/ a window... only when the layout "is" possible, and mostly is for new-built homes, for many old build... when the newer guidelines & rules / codes is even there, for many, the layout is just either impossible or major demolition has to take place; hence big bucks involved. So tell me... unless you the designer is on HGTV payroll & can do these kitchens and its demolition for *free*... as any budget strapped homeowner, would you just as "lightly" go through the headaches of having to compromise structure to have a new window put in, walls shifted when the cabinet layout don't workout for you??? Yes, with money "anything" is possible even burning down one's old kitchen & building a new house in its place... but the normal working, cash strapped people???? Working with what you have will be key to cost & savings... even if the centering of sinks is just not possible, "work with it".

The best designers (or any human with good sense, eg. the person doing the physical installation even) will think "outside the box" of the kitchen rule books like an construction or structural engineer / architect.
= Why many architects / engineers even are hired in place of just a mere designer sometimes for the most prolific of projects = they make things "happen" (even if that crazy home owner wants a viking hearth or that old world pizza oven inside his home / that amusement park). They just use the designers as in between to purchase that certain brands they represent if their own contacts cannot produce the lines (that only is sold to kitchen places or furniture shop etc.)... aren't I right???

The "forbidden city" has a kitchen too that never needs that rule book of that kitchen designer.
And the rules & codes are only written by a human, who is to say another human cannot rewrite it????

Last edited by hueyeats; 04-22-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
jmho

Those 4 letters are exactly your downfall. Never argue based on your opinions unless you're talking politics. When you have facts then speak up with your fist raised high. Until then, you have fun. I only believe as a nice person it is wrong to give bad advice that cost others money. Go argue your opinions with your husband. People come on forums looking for facts.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Those 4 letters are exactly your downfall. Never argue based on your opinions unless you're talking politics. When you have facts then speak up with your fist raised high. Until then, you have fun. I only believe as a nice person it is wrong to give bad advice that cost others money. Go argue your opinions with your husband. People come on forums looking for facts.
I say that just to not get flagged. I guess I will change that to 'JSF' -- Just Stating Facts.

--Still waiting for telling us all the 'tute you went to.
-- My Chihuahua doesn't have an opposable thumb, so she can't use the most complex device you have in your toolbox (a tape measure), and she can't read, so she can't just go to the books to look up all the answers.
-- Now for the 4th time, I am not a woman. (Though legally I can have 4 wives ).
-- I give people facts on this forum, as I have 24/7 to read and study anything I want, and am not trapped as a used-car (oops, kitchen cabinet) seller.

JSF.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I say that just to not get flagged. I guess I will change that to 'JSF' -- Just Stating Facts.

--Still waiting for telling us all the 'tute you went to.
-- My Chihuahua doesn't have an opposable thumb, so she can't use the most complex device you have in your toolbox (a tape measure), and she can't read, so she can't just go to the books to look up all the answers.
-- Now for the 4th time, I am not a woman. (Though legally I can have 4 wives ).
-- I give people facts on this forum, as I have 24/7 to read and study anything I want, and am not trapped as a used-car (oops, kitchen cabinet) seller.

JSF.
Chihuahuas are nasty little dogs. Why do you compare yourself to one? They are easily provoked to attack. Very interesting. They are unsuitable in homes with parents and kids who are impatient. Hmmm. They are also known to burrow themselves under a pillow or under covers when scared because they are wrong. Those facts come right out of the book, not my opinion.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Please avoid personal attacks... good information here and would like to keep thread open...

Old 08-09-2016, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 905 times
Default Kitchen Cabinets

DesertSun41 - we are in the beginning stages of a kitchen remodel here in Houston, Texas. Never have remodeled a kitchen before. Picked out cabinets - ProCraft - and found out birch is sourced from China. ): I try not to buy anything from China so this is a major concern. I saw your post about looking for KMSA(?) certification - post was really old. Is there any updated information re kitchen cabinet safety now? How do you feel about ProCraft? I will look into Merillat as you seem to like that brand although I'm sure there will be a big cost difference. Thanks for any feedback!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 PM

60 posts, read 68,637 times
desertsun has not been on the treads for about 3 or 4 years. However about 6 years ago I took his advice and inquired about Merlat. These were stock cabinets, excellently made and have not had a problem in the 6 years.Also after pricing many places, custom, semicustom and stock, we went with stock and saved over 10 grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House