U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 02:19 PM

16 posts, read 110,126 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was wondering what the estimated cost is to install attic vents and make sure the bathroom exhaust fans do not vent into the attic. We have a home in which most of the attic is converted into finished bedrooms, but were told we need attic vents to avoid moisture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 03:07 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,194,116 times
Default Me too

Sorry to jump on your bandwagon but ME TOO.

I heard that having an attic fan will reduce the heat contained in your home therefore you will use the ac less. True?

So any rec's for a good attic fan installer in Central NJ?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:10 PM

4,285 posts, read 13,558,805 times
Prices are likely going to depend on exactly how much is involved in creating a vent system. There's more to it than cutting some holes in the roof and banging in a fan or a couple of static vents.

Attic ventilation reduces condensation in winter and helps eliminate heat in the summer. Here's how it works.

First of all, there has to air inlets at the soffit, (the area immediately underneath your eavetrough or gutter). These allow cool or low pressure air to enter the attic. This air will then ideally flow upward along the underside of your roof sheathing and exit your attic through static vents place either on the roof near the peak, or through a vented ridge cap.

Some houses replace the static vents with a thermostaticly controlled fan that increases the air flow from the soffit vents.

Regardless of static vents or electric fans, the system requires both an air inlet at the bottom of the roof and an outlet at the peak.

For the OP whose attic is finished, the major area of concern would be ensuring there is room between the finished ceiling and the roof sheathing for air to flow. If the space between the roof joists is packed with insulation, you could be looking at a major project to open up an air space.

For situations where bathroom fans have simply been exhausted into the attic space, there are 2 options.

The exhaust hose can be extended to the roof and vented with a fitting specifly designed for this application. Of course, this requires piercing the roof which leads to a risk of leakage.

An easier alternative might be to extend the exhaust tube to an exterior wall and vent it there with a hooded fitting with a backflow preventer.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 25,037 times
Sorry to jump in on the answer with a new question- but what if there is no wall to vent through, only roof. Is it possible to vent out the soffit? And how do you then prevent back flow?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 AM

8,309 posts, read 31,442,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russthehomeowner View Post
Sorry to jump in on the answer with a new question- but what if there is no wall to vent through, only roof. Is it possible to vent out the soffit? And how do you then prevent back flow?
Most bathroom vents will have a one-way shutter at the unit exhaust (where the exhaust hose connects) but that doesn't keep mud daubers, wasps, rodents etc. etc. from using the hose unless you have something on the exterior as well. If you walk into the ventilation aisle at any big-box store you will see tons and tons of kits for this very application. Cut an appropriately sized hole in the soffit, fit your exterior cover, seal it, call it good.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:52 PM

48,526 posts, read 75,136,468 times
You can buy sofit vents for bath exhaust at many home supply stores that are screened and much eaier to instll than attic thru roof vents.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM

510 posts, read 1,348,166 times
Can I be your contractor? I do good work. It's all to code.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z35/Georgpl/image014.jpg (broken link)
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z35/Georgpl/image015.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 20,464 times
Exhausting the bathrooms to soffit vents is the wrong answer since the attic is pulling fresh air from the soffit. In the cold months, moisture will be sucked into the attic and freeze on rafters, roof deck. The best way to exhaust bathroom moisture is through the roof....

Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 PM

48,526 posts, read 75,136,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuopat View Post
Exhausting the bathrooms to soffit vents is the wrong answer since the attic is pulling fresh air from the soffit. In the cold months, moisture will be sucked into the attic and freeze on rafters, roof deck. The best way to exhaust bathroom moisture is through the roof....
The mositure will not be sucked into the softit vent. Why would anyone located it within even ten feet with correct soft venting.Maybe if you have the old incorrect contious venting it might be drawn but very little.I that case you need to close some of the venting thru the sofits anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House