U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,337,260 times

Advertisements

My mom purchased a new Rheem HVAC last June. Both the inside part and outside part. It stopped cooling this week and I called to have it repaired.

Turns out that the outside part is a Weatherking. When I asked about it, he said that it was the same thing as a Rheem, he just forgot to switch the labels.

Then when he came inside, he repeated that it was a Rheem, but the labels were never switched. The invoices say Rheem... What is up with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 PM

10,713 posts, read 11,412,857 times
Weatherking is made by rheem, but is their bottom barrel units. a "weatherking by rheem" type of deal.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 19,725,943 times
Same as Goodman makes Janitrol and Amana, and others.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,337,260 times
Well, when I bought a Janitrol a few years ago, I didn't expect it to say Goodman, nor did I pay as much as a Goodman would have cost. But the guy explained the differences to me up front.

The word Rheem is no where on the condenser and the invoice only says Rheem. I think he figured she was an old woman who would never go out to see the condenser and pulled one over on her.

What really makes me mad, she had two other quotes from companies that I have worked with professionally. She had to get a Rheem and this guy "was so nice" and was the only one who said she could replace her old with Rheem without enlarging the pad. She is in a townhouse, so there are four or five in a row, so enlarging the pad would have required another on to be moved slightly.

It's a POS, BTW. Loud as can be and no reduction in electric bills.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:47 AM

10,713 posts, read 11,412,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Well, when I bought a Janitrol a few years ago, I didn't expect it to say Goodman, nor did I pay as much as a Goodman would have cost. But the guy explained the differences to me up front.

The word Rheem is no where on the condenser and the invoice only says Rheem. I think he figured she was an old woman who would never go out to see the condenser and pulled one over on her.

What really makes me mad, she had two other quotes from companies that I have worked with professionally. She had to get a Rheem and this guy "was so nice" and was the only one who said she could replace her old with Rheem without enlarging the pad. She is in a townhouse, so there are four or five in a row, so enlarging the pad would have required another on to be moved slightly.

It's a POS, BTW. Loud as can be and no reduction in electric bills.

A good lesson learned not to buy something because "they were nice" also to get quality units, especially with something like a furnace or AC

Old 05-28-2010, 10:09 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,671,095 times
Since its less than a year old all should be covered. Just have call the original installer and have them correct any issues you may have. Weatherking has a five year parts warranty as to the labor you should have at least one year. She should have recieved a certificate for each part of the system. Also did she have the thermostat replaced to the newer digital type? Has the filters been changed consistantly? Is there a tree near the outside unit?

Heating and Cooling Brands: Weatherking

Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,989 times
I had the same thing happen to me just had a new RHEEM AC/Furnace installed. The outside unit says Weatherking, I called them out on this and they said its the exact same thing as a RHEEM just a different label. Is this truly the case? Or is RHEEM a better quality... They were going to change it out for me but then said that if I would rather they would knock $200 off to keep the Weatherking unit there. Which has me questioning even more? Thoughts? Single parent here who has no clue on A/C units and don't want to be taken advantage of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or