U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 4,627,148 times

Advertisements

It's a walmart lawnmower, I'm using gas from last year.... It will crank but then stop.

is it the gas quality? Should I drain it and use new gas or go to mid or high grade gas?

Are you supposed to mix oil with the gas like the old mopeds?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 AM

3,362 posts, read 10,448,398 times
Old gas may be the problem. Gas will not keep anymore because of the additives now added. Change the gas and try again.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM

284 posts, read 858,240 times
I had this issue-have you check the spark plug and filter?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,765,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
It's a walmart lawnmower, I'm using gas from last year.... It will crank but then stop.

is it the gas quality? Should I drain it and use new gas or go to mid or high grade gas?

Thanks!
Drain the tank, give it new gas and change the oil. My mower will belch a little black smoke when it wants an oil change, but if the gas (especially ethanol gas) has been sitting for a while that may be the problem. If the mower was "shelved" with a full tank and the gas has evaporated out you may have some varnish problems or sediment in the fuel line.

Anyway, draining the gas, replacing it and changing the oil is probably going to get you up and running.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:35 AM

3,987 posts, read 3,439,533 times
Your mower needs a tune-up. Change (or at least clean) the spark plug, get a new air filter, change the oil, and get new gas. Last year's gas will kill your lawn mower faster than anything.

Never mix 2-stroke oil in your lawn mower gas. Rule of thumb for small engines, if it has an engine oil reservoir, you don't have to mix oil and gas for the gas tank.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 AM

8,293 posts, read 14,480,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

Thanks!
First, drain your old gas. Then fill the tank with fresh gas. Do NOT put oil in the gas.

Second, it could be that the butterfly on your carb is sticking shut, and essentially flooding the engine. That might be due to where you have the throttle positioned, or it could be gummed up.

But definitely go with new gas. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 AM

512 posts, read 697,013 times
It's 'probably' MIB disguised as John Locke!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:55 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,857,199 times
Old gas is bad? I'm using leftover gas from last year and my mower is working just fine.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,961,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Old gas is bad? I'm using leftover gas from last year and my mower is working just fine.
That depends on where you live. Out West most gas has an ethanol blend. It won't last because it absorbs water, and gums up the carburetor.

In the East it is still very common to get straight gas. I quit buying gas at Wal-Mart when they went to ethanol.

Black smoke indicates that it is running rich. Blue smoke is burning oil.

I would drain the old gas, clean the plug, and give it a shot. If it still doesn't run right, a few drops of Sea Foam will clean it out. One bottle will treat 20 gallons, so only use a few drops in a mower.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 PM

3,362 posts, read 10,448,398 times
If it's in a sealed gas can it probably will store OK. The problem is in a mower or other gas powered tool, the tank is not sealed and evaporation happens and the gas is no longer good. It used to be you could leave the gas in a mower, but with ethanol and other additives now added, you cannot let it sit over the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House