Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A surge in temporary federal Census Bureau jobs coupled with new leisure and hospitality positions helped local employers create 20,200 new jobs during May.
The data, released Friday by the Texas Workforce Commission, marks the biggest one-month April to May increase of the past decade, said Joel Wagher, labor market analyst for Workforce Solutions, which manages job services and training for the 13-county Houston-Galveston Gulf Coast region.
Nearly half of the increase — 47 percent - stems from the temporary census workers, he said. While those government jobs eventually will disappear, Wagher noted that 22 percent of the new positions were in restaurants, hotels and entertainment venues - a sector that typically doesn't grow this early in the year or so robustly during slow economic times.
Hospitality, census jobs lift local employment | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,323 times
This will also increasingly bring into question the "value" of a college degree, but that's for another thread.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
This will also increasingly bring into question the "value" of a college degree, but that's for another thread.
No, say me.What do you mean ?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:04 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
I think it will be the majors that will be in question. For example, Liberal Arts degree holders will take a nose dive.

Anyways, I'm sick of seeing politicians on both sides using the Census either for their gain or to dampen the mood. Everybody knew exactly what the Census would bring job wise.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think it will be the majors that will be in question. For example, Liberal Arts degree holders will take a nose dive.

Anyways, I'm sick of seeing politicians on both sides using the Census either for their gain or to dampen the mood. Everybody knew exactly what the Census would bring job wise.
I would make the argument that many hard science/technical majors are taking a hit. They are called "outsourcing to India" and "H1B visas" and "automation."

Virtually all jobs that you go to college and get a degree for can be done over the Internet and consequently by someone in a foreign country. Social work and teaching may be notable exceptions. And guess what? Communications and computer technology are constantly getting better/cheaper/easier to use. (teleconferencing, unlimited cell phone plans, Skype, Wi-Fi, 4G Internet, etc, etc.)

On the other hand, it's a little difficult to outsource police officers and plumbers. (Jobs that don't require a college education).

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-19-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,434 times
^ what does it mean to the professional student that stays in school for 7, 8, or 9 years accumulating one degree after another, yet hasn't laid 6" of rubber in the real world? What's he going to do?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
^ what does it mean to the professional student that stays in school for 7, 8, or 9 years accumulating one degree after another, yet hasn't laid 6" of rubber in the real world? What's he going to do?
If you are talking about me, I do have 4 years of active military experience did considerable time in Iraq. (Would forward you my DD-214 for proof). I was also a reservist in a Houston area Army Reserve unit -- the 451 CA in Pasadena (Good people). I would call that laying 6" of rubber.

I am a college student, but unlike many, I'm not badly in debt to pay for it (thanks to government benefits, dividends earned on Iraq investments, and my parents) and I have something to fall back on (enlisted military/law enforcement/go back in as an Officer, etc).

Thanks to my Iraq savings and investments I made with it, I have more money than a lot of my friends I went to high school with especially in this economy where many of them can't find jobs. (and I went to Clements) Making money at age 18 and being smart with it does wonders.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-19-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 05:13 PM

392 posts, read 749,384 times
Quote:
If you are talking about me, I do have 4 years of active military experience did considerable time in Iraq. (Would forward you my DD-214 for proof). I was also a reservist in a Houston area Army Reserve unit -- the 451 CA in Pasadena (Good people). I would call that laying 6" of rubber.

I am a college student, but unlike many, I'm not badly in debt to pay for it (thanks to government benefits, dividends earned on Iraq investments, and my parents) and I have something to fall back on (enlisted military/law enforcement/go back in as an Officer, etc).

Thanks to my Iraq savings and investments I made with it, I have more money than a lot of my friends I went to high school with especially in this economy where many of them can't find jobs. (and I went to Clements) Making money at age 18 and being smart with it does wonders.
Thank you for your service, buddy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston