Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 20,769 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Texas to finish school. I have decided on Social Work. Wanted some opinions on schools here and the Social work programs. I guess I would be considered and adult student, but wouldn't necessarily mind campus life. The schools I am considering include University of Texas at Austin, University of Houston Clear Lake, or University of Houston Downtown. I know UT is a tier one school. But I don't have much info on the other two or really much on UT. I am kind of leery about UHD's program since it is still in candidacy.

So any info you can share on the schools and how they compare (pros and cons, etc). Also anyone familiar with the Social Work program at either school's--your take would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 AM

249 posts, read 561,676 times
Dumb question. If you can get in to UT, UH shouldn't even be on your radar.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 AM

wstaffor,

I thank you for your input, however the your tone was not appriciated. This is a forum. It is used to share ideas and knowledge. My question was not just a matter of where I could get in. I am attempting to find the right fit for me. And the right social work program. Obviously I know UT, being a tier one school, is better than the others. I was getting at why and wanted some specifics. In the future, if you think a question is dumb you should probably refain rather than being rude.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 PM

249 posts, read 561,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenigrowup View Post
wstaffor,

I thank you for your input, however the your tone was not appriciated. This is a forum. It is used to share ideas and knowledge. My question was not just a matter of where I could get in. I am attempting to find the right fit for me. And the right social work program. Obviously I know UT, being a tier one school, is better than the others. I was getting at why and wanted some specifics. In the future, if you think a question is dumb you should probably refain rather than being rude.
OMG A FORUM!?

You're right, this is a forum; an internet forum. Don't expect people to be nice to you on the internet when you ask a dumb question. People who whine about wanting a program that's the "right fit" generally have no idea what they're talking about. The "right" program is the one that will impress employers the most post-graduation. End of discussion. You should work on taking advice, regardless of how it's delivered to you.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
Like previous posters said (in not-so-kind terms) UT Austin is by far the best school -- any program there will be better than the others.

Before you decide though, I'd definitely call the admission offices and get information on placement for your desired program and average graduating salaries. I don't think social work degrees tend to pay very much, so depending on the tuition differences between the programs you might not be able to merit spending much if it will take you a lot longer to pay it back.

Another thing you'll want to think more heavily about -- why are you going back to school? If it is simply to 'get a degree', one school will work as well as the next. If you want to have an experience, that will change the equation, as UT is a MUCH larger and more fully developed program. It you want to network a lot, the different schools likely have very different student bodies. Will you be working while attending school, or just going full-time? None of these are necessarily pros or cons, just something you need to think about.

Why did you choose to come back to Texas to finish, without having chosen a city? Should you look at schools outside of Texas, or in other cities?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
If I could go to UT - that would be my top choice - regardless of the school. However; I can tell you that UH Clear Lake does have an excellent social science/social work program. If I were staying in Houston, I would definitely choose UHCL over UH Downtown.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Thank you all for your input!

I guess I forgot to mention I currently live in Houston, I moved here about a month ago from the Hampton Roads area in VA and was in Columbia, SC for 10 years before that. I moved here because my brother lives here. So I plan to stay in Houston for at least a year and establish residency before I go to a 4 year. I like Houston so far and at this point wouldn't mind staying.

I am set on Social Work as a career as well as making Texas my home and it's either Houston or UT. I know i have resigned to a life of poverty, but I know this is what I want to do (finally)! I do kinda have my heart set on UT (the resources and the power of their SW program) but I wasn't sure about a big residential campus with me being an adult student (I'm 31). But from what I'm reading UT is still the best regardless of the situation huh?

So 0815, what makes UH not student friendly?

And texas7, do you attend UHCL? UHD does seem kinda iffy.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
UT is definitely the better school -- that doesn't mean, however, that it will help you get the best job in your field.

A degree in Education would be a good example. If all you wanted to do was teach 5th grade you could go to just about any university would be qualified for the same jobs with identical pay. Obviously, this isn't true for all fields, but you'll want to research that for your social work program.

I guess what I'm saying is that just because UT is the superior academic institution, doesn't mean a degree from their program will server you any better in your chosen career path.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenigrowup View Post
I know i have resigned to a life of poverty, but I know this is what I want to do (finally)!
UT is out of the question since it's too expensive. One of my professors worked as a social worker for a while and it broadened her experiences but decided to go back to grad school and ended up teaching my class. She was complaining about her loans from undergrad to grad.

Do you already have an undergraduate degree? If so, the State of Texas discourages post-grad work by not subsidizing the cost of tuition. They want you in an appropriate level program.

If you want a graduate degree in Social Work, UH has a graduate-only program based out of their Graduate College of Social Work based out of their namesake building.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Well I want to get into policy and the grad school is important for that aspect. As for as local or state I guess it doesn't matter much unless the hiring manager is an alumnus of that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: