Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM

24 posts, read 61,718 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am about to move to Houston with my family (wife and children). We finally came to having to choose between 2 areas. Could you please tell us what's the SAFEST area to live in:

1. Westchase - on Richmond Ave between Walnut Bend Ln and Sam Houston Tollway (Zip Code 77042):

2. Memorial - on Memorial Dr. between N. Eldridge Pkwy and S. Dairy Ashford Rd (Zip Code 77079).

If you lived in Houston long enough to know, please help us make the right choice. Any help is really appreciated.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Memorial.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Memorial

West Chase has turned ghetto over the past few years.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Thank you guys....anyone else?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 PM

125 posts, read 203,861 times
Memorial.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 PM

611 posts, read 2,233,791 times
I grew up in Lakeside in the 042......Lakeside, Walnut Bend, Briargrove Park are all still great neighborhoods and I could still go back today 30 years later and knock on the same doors and see many of the same people

having said that when you get south of Westheimer into the actual Westchase area closer to Richmond many of those apartment complexes are hit and miss and Rogerdale is flat horrible from Westheimer to Richmond

also the apartments that happen to be sandwiched in between the front and back of Lakeside need to fall into hell along with many that live there and lived there 30 years ago....and yes I MEAN that

I would not guarantee that ANY, but the nicest apartments in Houston are not hit or miss, but the Memorial area you are asking about is much newer, off of the bus paths and has much less "trouble" close by

and for that reason I agree with the others so far the Memorial area

if you were asking about the three neighborhoods above and NOT the apartments anywhere around there I would not hesitate to say move on in because I still know exactly how those particular neighborhoods are (even with the quail hollow mini-ghetto) right there

but since you are asking about apartments specifically and closer to Richmond even more specific.......AVOID!

go west young person...

Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
I grew up in Lakeside in the 042......Lakeside, Walnut Bend, Briargrove Park are all still great neighborhoods and I could still go back today 30 years later and knock on the same doors and see many of the same people

having said that when you get south of Westheimer into the actual Westchase area closer to Richmond many of those apartment complexes are hit and miss and Rogerdale is flat horrible from Westheimer to Richmond

also the apartments that happen to be sandwiched in between the front and back of Lakeside need to fall into hell along with many that live there and lived there 30 years ago....and yes I MEAN that

I would not guarantee that ANY, but the nicest apartments in Houston are not hit or miss, but the Memorial area you are asking about is much newer, off of the bus paths and has much less "trouble" close by

and for that reason I agree with the others so far the Memorial area

if you were asking about the three neighborhoods above and NOT the apartments anywhere around there I would not hesitate to say move on in because I still know exactly how those particular neighborhoods are (even with the quail hollow mini-ghetto) right there

but since you are asking about apartments specifically and closer to Richmond even more specific.......AVOID!

go west young person...
Thanks a lot for the advice. This is exactly what I needed: a sincere opinion from someone born and raised in HOUSTON. Thanks

Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 PM

611 posts, read 2,233,791 times
one other note since you mentioned kids

if you get into the area around the Memorial area where you are asking about and can get into the area that would be zoned for Stratford HS you would be in an area zoned for one of the top public High Schools in the Houston area.....even if your kids are not HS age or near HS age lets be honest those Stratford kids don't start out morons going to moron schools and then suddenly turn it on the last 4 years of school

I personally went to Walnut Bend, Paul Revere and Lee (for a year)

that was a NUMBER of years ago, but sadly Walnut Bend and Revere were Katrinafied because of the apartments right in the middle of Lakeside and it even spread to Westside HS which is probably the top (regular) HS in HISD

Westside was not built when I was around and Lee is some kind of hodgepodge of nonsense now

so being in Spring Branch ISD in the area that draws to Stratford would be fantastic for kids and sadly much better than what Walnut Bend probably is today

last I heard the apartments right around Lakeside had emptied out for some reason after the Katrina (and the waves) had destroyed the area.......again.......and to tell you how stupid HISD is they went around to the apartments asking when and how they could get them filled back up (when everyone else was asking can we finally burn them down now)

so again with kids......go west......get into the Stratford zoned area and love it....Westside is still a decent school, but you never know when HISD will break out the yellow bus and bus in destruction to try and even things out

Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
"Westside is still a decent school, but you never know when HISD will break out the yellow bus and bus in destruction to try and even things out"

Forced busing doesn't happen in HISD. Westside had, has, and will have a magnet program. People are bussed in on a voluntary basis, as overseen by the school's magnet department. Also people who are in the Lee High School zone may go to Westside instead, with no transportation provided. It has always been this way.

What changed is the apartment complexes. However they can be bought and torn down.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 AM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I agree: Memorial!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston