U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 AM

2,784 posts, read 4,115,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
So say's the American Born Desi” from Chicago who grew up on the mean streets of Sugar Land - you talk the talk...but really?

While yours data is interesting, I don't think you have ever lived in either NYC or California - Have you? The fact is, Harris, Ft Bend and Montgomery are three of the top 100 most conservative counties in the U.S. -- Did you know that? - so unless you consider first generation Latin American, Mexican and Vietnamese immigrants bumping into wealthy, upper middle class, or blue collar conservative whites at the Houston Galleria as feeling integrated, Houston still has a long way to go - I agree that it's becoming more intregrated, but the overall culture is much different here than in other major U.S.cities I have mentioned - L.A. - S.F - New York - as being progressive...53% of Southerners in the last election, believed Obama was born outside the U.S...it's still got a long way to go, .....and no I can't stand CA politics - so don't go there.

Regarding the Indian culture OmShahi - of all the Asian cultures/countries - Chinese, Korean, Filipino, Japanese, Indonesian & Vietnamese all are 2 to 10 times more likely to be in an Interracial Marriage than someone from Asian Indian Culture - I have attached the link - so maybe you feel Houston is integrated, but how many of your Family is in a interracial relationship or married outside of your culture - Even in liberal CA, a Asian Indian Female/White male relationship is still pretty taboo to Desi's - however your going to see thousands of white male - Filipino, Korean, Japanese Female relationships in San Diego, O.C., L.A. and San Francisco and even more Latina Females with White Males in SD & L.A than anywhere I traveled, including SoFl & NYC - When you see a older group 35+ of Asian Indians out shopping or at one the many museums in Houston, are they there all together as a group or out and about with different race? And Im not talking Rice students - They always seem to stick to their own group and not assimilate with the locals - just an observation!

Interracial Dating & Marriage : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues

Indian couple electrocuted for daring to marry outside caste - Asia, World - The Independent
America’s top 20 conservative-friendly counties | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
Marrying Out - Pew Research Center
What the heck does intermarriage (in other countries!) have to do with integration in Houston, and for that matter what does political affiliation have to do with integration? Go take a walk through North Berkeley or Pacific Heights in SF, or Beverly Hills, Brentwood, etc. etc. and tell me how many non-white upper middle class people class you see- and oh, the mexican maids don't count.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 AM

316 posts, read 455,262 times
Quote:
I've lived in many beautiful areas of the world (unfortunately including Newport Beach and Huntington Beach CA) and I've always made it back to TX by choice. Houston isn't everything or really anything I want in the natural beauty/outdoor activity department but it's home. Texas, in my opinion, has some of the most tight knit, caring and supportive communities in the country, maybe the world. I love the rural community (west of Houston) I live in and I would never trade THAT for mountains or a better climate. I can get to those in less than 2 hours on a weekend getaway if I want but my home and community is here in TX.
OK I got it, your a Rural Texan, nothing wrong with that, but comparing Newport Beach to Rural Texas? C'mon Is it even worth discussing - NB is 100 years ahead, it would be like comparing the Pro Football Careers of Joe Montana to David Carr - really no comparison!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:24 PM

7,196 posts, read 7,614,036 times
Quote:
OK I got it, your a Rural Texan, nothing wrong with that, but comparing Newport Beach to Rural Texas? C'mon Is it even worth discussing - NB is 100 years ahead, it would be like comparing the Pro Football Careers of Joe Montana to David Carr - really no comparison!
I really don't get the comparison thing. I have been all over the country and don't ever remember trying to sit down and do comparisons for different cities. They are all different and that's a good thing.

Houston isn't anything like those cities - AND THAT'S OK.

As a Texan, if I were "jealous" of California, I would move to California. Why would I sit here and seethe with jealousy? That view point is beyond weird. If you live here and hate it, why not move away rather than get on forums and bash everything? What is stopping you, unless you are underage?

OmShahi is correct as to the future of the city. Remember, it's a relatively new city compared to Chicago, etc. It grew too fast and is still looking at unbelievable growth. From what I have read about Chicago and NYC, they were both chaotic during the boom growth, which would be expected. We are behind because of age, not because somehow the citizens are backwards, which has been what you have been implying.

People move here and ask for diversity. Other than a very few enclaves, the whole city is diverse. It never had time to really become entrenched.

Here is why I am proud this city: after Ike, neighbors were out helping neighbors clean up the mess. Several people that had the equipment were out helping to clear roads (rather than waiting for the authorites to come take care of it) and driveways other than their own. Out of the bajillion peole who were without electric, those that had gas stoves cooked meat for those that only had electrical stoves. People shared the supplies they had with friends and neighbors. Sort of puts the whole tallest building or best sport team in perspective.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,667,381 times
Houston is not comparable to the big 3 and it is stupid to keep trying to compare them. So again we come to a point we all say, 'Theyre all different and thats ok' until the next thread where we get another outsourced houston booster insisting the cities are comparable because he's being forced to move because he lives with his parents.
Again, statistics/ratings and other factors need to be understood in the bigger picture. 2nd place is a long way to go if its a far 2nd place. for example, 1 train is not a transit system. 'Washington Ave' -really? 'Uptown' -really? 'Midtown; -really? 'Downtown' -really? They're all halfarsed at best. The bar has been set by americas greatest cities, sorry guys, you just reached the 1970s standard maybe. Houston has a lot of the elements but its either not being utilized properly, too little, empty or was there before now gone. Comparing Houston to other great american cities (not just the big 3) is like setting up a chess board - our side is set up with too few pawns, too many knights and bishops, a king that looks like queen... and like we dont know the rules to play. what a mess, its plainly just insulting

Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
The bar has been set by americas greatest cities, sorry guys, you just reached the 1970s standard maybe.
I thought you lived here, too. Either you could contribute, or just whine until we get it up to your standards.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:14 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,667,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I thought you lived here, too. Either you could contribute, or just whine until we get it up to your standards.
well I have to wake up a few more houstonians to get you guys moving forward into the 1990s standard atleast

Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
well I have to wake up a few more houstonians to get you guys moving forward into the 1990s standard atleast
So that means you fall into the latter category?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:25 PM

316 posts, read 455,262 times
Quote:
I have read about Chicago and NYC, they were both chaotic during the boom growth, which would be expected. We are behind because of age, not because somehow the citizens are backwards
With all due respect, How do you know - Have you lived in any of these places, experienced their Culture and History of immigration and established growth?

True Houston is becoming fairly diverse - But IMO it has a long way yo go before it becomes progressive city -No, your not going to see a dozens of NYC Limousine Liberal types walking hand in hand with their Caribbean or Hong Kong girlfriends down Post oak (its too hot) here - but yes it's becoming more diverse -

Because outside the loop the counties - Montgomery & Ft Bend are so conservative and still fairly Bible Belt Baptist, W 04 stickers, on their mini vans" - there will be many challenges along the way - I live 20 miles south of the city in Nassau Bay -Bordering Harris and Galveston County and while we love the no state income tax, central time-zone & waterfront living - actually being able to take our boat and water toys out almost every weekend + overall atmosphere in general - I have found most of this area south - especially League City 4 miles south of us is still very conservative in 2010 - my wife is Korean American, Im white with Blonde hair - and our son is obviously mixed - so I guess we stand out - In CA, we never ever got a second look because it's so much part of the established culture for so many years from SF to SD - I have never seen so many "Raised Eyebrow's" and "Awkward glances" when we go shopping in that area - I think most people just can't figure it out, and while we have never felt any sort of overt racism, I'm sure some of the rural folks that come in for the weekend don't care for it -

So yes Houston burbs 10+ years behind Bay Area, L.A. S.D. O.C. etc - Houston Metro 10+ years behind NYC - L.A. - SF regarding progressive and established cultural integration - Houston burbs = still somewhat behind of understanding and being accepted in a different culture is something some interracial couples will face outside of the metro area for this generation

Of the 3.8 million adults who married in 2008, 9 percent of whites, 16 percent of blacks, 26 percent of Hispanics and 31 percent of Asians married someone whose race or ethnicity was different from their own. For whites these shares are more than double what they had been in 1980. For Hispanics and Asians, these rates are little changed from 1980.
The top nine states for out-marriage rates, each with rates of 20 percent or more, are located west of the Mississippi River and include: Hawaii (43 percent), Nevada (28 percent), Oregon (24 percent); Oklahoma (23 percent); California (22 percent); New Mexico (22 percent); Colorado (21 percent); Arizona (21 percent); and Washington (20 percent).

About 39 percent of U.S.-born Asians Females now marry whites—a figure unchanged since 1980 - But in the "Bible Belt" Houston burbs it's nothing like the burbs of coastal California!!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:47 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,329,059 times
Quote:
With all due respect, How do you know - Have you lived in any of these places, experienced their Culture and History of immigration and established growth?

True Houston is becoming fairly diverse - But IMO it has a long way yo go before it becomes progressive city -No, your not going to see a dozens of NYC Limousine Liberal types walking hand in hand with their Caribbean or Hong Kong girlfriends down Post oak (its too hot) here - but yes it's becoming more diverse -

Because outside the loop the counties - Montgomery & Ft Bend are so conservative and still fairly Bible Belt Baptist, W 04 stickers, on their mini vans" - there will be many challenges along the way - I live 20 miles south of the city in Nassau Bay -Bordering Harris and Galveston County and while we love the no state income tax, central time-zone & waterfront living - actually being able to take our boat and water toys out almost every weekend + overall atmosphere in general - I have found most of this area south - especially League City 4 miles south of us is still very conservative in 2010 - my wife is Korean American, Im white with Blonde hair - and our son is obviously mixed - so I guess we stand out - In CA, we never ever got a second look because it's so much part of the established culture for so many years from SF to SD - I have never seen so many "Raised Eyebrow's" and "Awkward glances" when we go shopping in that area - I think most people just can't figure it out, and while we have never felt any sort of overt racism, I'm sure some of the rural folks that come in for the weekend don't care for it -

So yes Houston burbs 10+ years behind Bay Area, L.A. S.D. O.C. etc - Houston Metro 10+ years behind NYC - L.A. - SF regarding progressive and established cultural integration - Houston burbs = still somewhat behind of understanding and being accepted in a different culture is something some interracial couples will face outside of the metro area for this generation

Of the 3.8 million adults who married in 2008, 9 percent of whites, 16 percent of blacks, 26 percent of Hispanics and 31 percent of Asians married someone whose race or ethnicity was different from their own. For whites these shares are more than double what they had been in 1980. For Hispanics and Asians, these rates are little changed from 1980.
The top nine states for out-marriage rates, each with rates of 20 percent or more, are located west of the Mississippi River and include: Hawaii (43 percent), Nevada (28 percent), Oregon (24 percent); Oklahoma (23 percent); California (22 percent); New Mexico (22 percent); Colorado (21 percent); Arizona (21 percent); and Washington (20 percent).

About 39 percent of U.S.-born Asians Females now marry whites—a figure unchanged since 1980 - But in the "Bible Belt" Houston burbs it's nothing like the burbs of coastal California!!
How are Houston suburbs behind times and places like LA and SF when they are mostly populated with people from CA???

Your just contradicting yourself, because the suburbs of Houston are very transient and consist more of transplants than natives.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Uh, yeah, I have. Why would you just assume that all of us here have never lived elsewher. As a matter of fact, the native Houstonians are in the tiny minority. I think I know less than 30.

I don't know why you thinking people are giving raised eyebrows and awkward glances. Interracial couples have been here a long time. You mioght get that in an icehouse in the norteast end, but not in the main stream.

I am friends with quite a few of those couples myself. I'll have to raise my eyebrows the next time I see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston