Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times

Advertisements

Here is what bothers me about OmShai's infomation. There are almost 100K children of mixed race heritage here in Houston. They have parents - which means there may be almost 300K people that are either biracial or involved in an interracial relationship here. How am I going to get anything done? I have a lot of eyebrow raising and awkward glancing to do. I am so behind.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
It says they are conservative, not Bible-thumpers. It doesn't mention religion at all. I am as socially liberal as they get - but I am conservative fiscally - and certainly not a Bible-thumper.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,994,936 times
To anybody thinking of moving to houston because of the pics and 'ratings' posted here, understand that these a not what they seem. These show up every now and then when someone feels like its time to promote Houston to some prestigious 'world city' status. It's like seeing pics of henna tatto'd flight attendants, old pictures of the taj mahal and everything else to promote tourism. Houston is not going to be as advertised(as above). chances are youre going to see more of the grassy lots in and out of houston, the retail space signs, fugly trees and all things left behind by people constantly moving further out to the burbs. youre going to see things a bit differently because of the heat, the smell, the emptiness, inner city blight etc

The train system : as clearly mentioned, were not there yet. maybe someday it will be operational. Houston public transportation sucks today, we're just cheerful about the future. if you take a look at the nice pictures of our nice train with nice plants, and waterscape - well you'll really get little of that and more of the dilapidated/ empty/ parking buildings seen in the background
the street life : what life? notice there are no people around. the best shot i've seen is one taken of people coming out of the train + streetbums passing it as 'street activity'
that blue water? its sewage brown with debris
the water taxi : its not even in houston. its a sign of better things going on in the far suburbs. they like manufacturing environments over there - thats actually a good thing around here since we dont even have a theme park
close ups shots of buildings : means we got 1 building/exterior like that and embarassing to show the street level
the panoramic shot : thats where we work! it shuts down at dusk
artists rendering: its not built yet or not getting the intended patronage as pictured
blurry/time lapse pics : we got nothing else to shoot with this SOTA camera
red awnings : i think thats 1 BOA branch
the beaches : too much crap out there to take a real picture of the beach. you'll probably get stabbed out there if you stay out that late
sunset : not too many people even think about witnessing that here

anyway there are lots of reason to move to houston, but these(whatever being advertised above) are not it, they dont exist or highly misrepresented in the pictures. maybe the future of houston look promising, you can be here for that.

Last edited by SteveArmy; 07-05-2010 at 01:11 AM..

Old 07-05-2010, 03:03 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
^Sounds like whining for not having the chops to take a decent photo yourself, Wizzywig.

Here, have some Desitin for that butthurt.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Here I'll break what Steve said down into truth and lie:

Truth:
- He's right, downtown after work hours isn't very lively. It's the truth, he didn't make that up.
- He's right, the waters on the coast of Houston aren't blue, they're not the cleanest of the water, but it's called silt- not pollution.
- He's right, Houston doesn't have a water taxi system.
- He's right, there isn't much Houston downtown street life, more people use the underground tunnel system, but even then- the street life for downtown is not that great to be frank.
- He's right, Houston isn't a good public transportation city right now, it's light rail system is not at all extensive enough presently- but it's going to change in 2012 & later this decade.

But the liveliness factor for Downtown is changing, it's becoming more lively as the year goes by. So it's making that transition.

Here is the definition of Silt for those of you who don't know-
silt   [silt] Show IPA
–noun
earthy matter, fine sand, or the like carried by moving or running water and deposited as a sediment.
–verb (used without object)

Source: Silt | Define Silt at Dictionary.com

^ Basically sediments that unpurify the water, and discolor it.

The Lies:
- Houston's METRORail for what it's worth (7.5 miles currently) has the 2nd highest ridership per mile in the USA, that's actually pretty successful given it's length.
- Those renderings by those artists, he doesn't even know half of those projects most likely because two of them were proposed just recently in the last one and a half weeks- and those are what the corporation financing the projects have released. So whatever, we'll see when it get's approved for construction (if).
- He claims that Houston has "fugly" tree's, this is the Houston board people- a lot of you live in The Woodlands- think for a moment without an unbiased mind how inaccurate his statements truly are.
- No you don't get stabbed at the beach late at night, it's probably happened before- but things like that can happen anywhere, chances of that happening to you- not likely. Just look into Galveston beach safety- use Google.
- That picture from my last post of Downtown Houston's skyline where the water looks blue, it's not blue even in the picture that's just the reflection of the tall building in the back and the sky, look at it closer it's dark and brownish looking water even then... so check your eyes Steve.

Fine fair enough to Steve, I will use MY OWN PICTURES- the pictures that I have personally taken in Downtown Houston the Tuesday before I set out for Chicago. I even put my name at the bottom of all my own pictures- and I'll post my camera role as well.
First time using my own pictures- but it's worth it.

Here is a picture of my Camera Roll of my pictures taken in Houston from my iPhone's Camera:

^^ The reason I'm posting that is to establish my source of where I got it from, I never like to walk into a conversation and say something that I can't support. Otherwise I would feel like some idiot yapping away.

Anyways here are MY pictures that I have taken myself of Houston (Yes, I have put my name on it):

^^ Hey G.I Joe, how are these pictures from street level? More than one angle I believe and more than one building- I took them while strolling the streets of Downtown Houston one day after my interview.
So now that I've posted my own pictures- tell me again how Houston looks so "behind"?

I mean yes, I'll give you this- it doesn't have a lot of people on the street, but there are plenty of cars and it's not ugly the least bit. It was nice. And I had a great time taking pictures too.

If you guys request it- I can also upload my Downtown Houston tour video that I made also, of almost all of downtown, let me know, I will upload it in 4 parts on YouTube if you're curious for it.

I did the same thing here in Chicago too, taken over 630 pictures of Downtown Chicago and 240 of Downtown Houston. 110 of Downtown Detroit, 64 of Downtown Indianapolis, 120 of Downtown Cleveland, about 80 for Downtown Columbus, and 40 each for Ann Arbor & Urbana-Champaign.

When I get back to Texas in 2 days, I will be doing the ones for Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth, & Austin. Maybe El Paso if I can find crazy amount of time to get out there...

Now information time- I will be using excepts from various sources:

Quote:
Matt Thibodeaux, executive director of the Midtown Management District, notes that in 1995, there were only 1,000 residents in Midtown. Today, that number has soared past 20,000.

Read more: Downtown changes with times as projects come to fruition - Houston Business Journal
Next except:
Quote:
In 1995, there was over $500 million in taxable property compared with $1 billion worth today.
“That’s why we’re one of the most successful reinvestment zones in the city and maybe even the state,” Thibodeaux says.
Another Except:
Quote:
Meanwhile, other projects are forging ahead, despite the downturn. Site work has begun on MainPlace, a 46-story, 1 million-square-foot office tower located at 811 Main. The project, being developed by Hines Interests, includes a nine-level parking garage with 1,130 parking spaces. It is slated for completion in late 2010 or early 2011.
Overlooking the new 12-acre Discovery Green Park will be the Discovery Tower, a 31-story Class A, 871,000-square-foot office tower with a 10-level parking garage. Hess Corp. will relocate from Allen Center to be the sole tenant in the building, hence the planned name change to Hess Tower. Developed by Trammell Crow Co., the project is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2010.
Yet Another one:
Quote:
Perhaps one of the largest developments to come downtown’s way in some time is the $200 million Houston Pavilions at 1201 Fannin. An urban entertainment and retail hub occupying 700,000 square feet on three city blocks, Houston Pavilions landed a major office tenant in NRG Energy Inc. and is currently 82 percent leased.
“We expect to be fully leased by this time next year,” says Geoffrey Jones, co-developer of the project.
Other tenants include House of Blues, Lucky Strike Lanes & Lounge, Forever 21, Books-A-Million and several restaurants including McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant and Yao Restaurant and Bar.
Another one again:
Quote:
Located at 1400 McKinney, the project is Houston’s first, new downtown high-rise luxury apartment residences in over 40 years. Centered on the west side of Discovery Green Park, the 37-story property is being developed by Houston-based developer Marvy Finger. So far, the 346-unit property is 45 percent occupied and 52 percent leased.
The new park has also attracted a new player in the hospitality industry in Embassy Suites Hotel, the first privately developed, full-service hotel built from the ground up in downtown in the past 25 years. The 19-story, 262-room property, at 1515 Dallas, is adjacent to the George R. Brown Convention Center, the Hilton Americas–Houston and Discovery Green.
Source: Downtown changes with times as projects come to fruition - Houston Business Journal

Year by yeah projects in Downtown Houston:
Downtown Houston - History of Construction Projects Since 1995

Houston METRORail: 4,680 Passengers per mile (2nd highest amount in USA)
Houston METRORail currently the 14th busiest in USA (not bad for only a 7.5 mile long system):
List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston's skyline ranked among the world:
In Pictures: The World's 10 Tallest Cities - No. 8: Houston, Texas - Forbes.com

Houston's skyline is ranked 3rd most impressive in USA, 8th in the world.

By the way G.I Joe, my sources that you state "changing yearly" they're solid sources, the US Census Bureau, BEA, & Forbes/CNN Money Magazine. These people get paid to sit there and analyze and list these cities. So don't even try to discredit my work in my last post.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
To anybody thinking of moving to houston because of the pics and 'ratings' posted here, understand that these a not what they seem. These show up every now and then when someone feels like its time to promote Houston to some prestigious 'world city' status. It's like seeing pics of henna tatto'd flight attendants, old pictures of the taj mahal and everything else to promote tourism. Houston is not going to be as advertised(as above). chances are youre going to see more of the grassy lots in and out of houston, the retail space signs, fugly trees and all things left behind by people constantly moving further out to the burbs. youre going to see things a bit differently because of the heat, the smell, the emptiness, inner city blight etc

The train system : as clearly mentioned, were not there yet. maybe someday it will be operational. Houston public transportation sucks today, we're just cheerful about the future. if you take a look at the nice pictures of our nice train with nice plants, and waterscape - well you'll really get little of that and more of the dilapidated/ empty/ parking buildings seen in the background
the street life : what life? notice there are no people around. the best shot i've seen is one taken of people coming out of the train + streetbums passing it as 'street activity'
that blue water? its sewage brown with debris
the water taxi : its not even in houston. its a sign of better things going on in the far suburbs. they like manufacturing environments over there - thats actually a good thing around here since we dont even have a theme park
close ups shots of buildings : means we got 1 building/exterior like that and embarassing to show the street level
the panoramic shot : thats where we work! it shuts down at dusk
artists rendering: its not built yet or not getting the intended patronage as pictured
blurry/time lapse pics : we got nothing else to shoot with this SOTA camera
red awnings : i think thats 1 BOA branch
the beaches : too much crap out there to take a real picture of the beach. you'll probably get stabbed out there if you stay out that late
sunset : not too many people even think about witnessing that here

anyway there are lots of reason to move to houston, but these(whatever being advertised above) are not it, they dont exist or highly misrepresented in the pictures. maybe the future of houston look promising, you can be here for that.
FAIL. That Omshami kid owns you Stevearmy. This stuff works really good on my two year old when he gets, um, *inflamed.* You can borrow some if you like.

Nice pics Omshami!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Agree nice pix.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
http://static.letsbuyit.com/filer/images/uk/products/original/140/55/vagisil-100-talc-free-feminine-powder-100g-14055325.jpeg (broken link)

Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 AM

316 posts, read 784,219 times
Quote:
OmShahiTruth:
- He's right, downtown after work hours isn't very lively. It's the truth, he didn't make that up.
- He's right, the waters on the coast of Houston aren't blue, they're not the cleanest of the water, but it's called silt- not pollution.
- He's right, Houston doesn't have a water taxi system.
- He's right, there isn't much Houston downtown street life, more people use the underground tunnel system, but even then- the street life for downtown is not that great to be frank.

ok dude you did a good job - now you can punch out and go home and take the rest of the summer off - I buy you a beer for your efforts but your not 21 yet and you live in the bible thumping part of Houston - maybe you should go work for one of the research firms they sells data research to corporations and chambers - remember there all based in California, New York, Boston, and Chicago -

Why do you feel the need to Force Feed Houston down peoples throats??
Why do I want to see pictures of a knock off Washington Monument? or a park no ones ever heard of? This place just got a foot of rain dumped on it and there is more mosquito's right now in Houston than the Florida Everglades - It was 97 yesterday with 83% humidity - I mean when your favorite city is Tuscon - It's no wonder you have so much love for this place -
Let's be honest it's a second tier city with lousy weather, crappy sports teams, mostly fat conservative people outside the loop, a weak public transportation system, high crime, minor league entertainment and many of it's residents who haven't left the state - That's why Californian's -------- ---------!!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:32 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Let's be honest it's a second tier city with lousy weather, crappy sports teams, mostly fat conservative people outside the loop, a weak public transportation system, high crime, minor league entertainment and many of it's residents who haven't left the state
With the exception of the weather you just described San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston