Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 PM

30 posts, read 76,117 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me exactly why it is that Californians all seem to tell me that I will hate Texans in general and Houston in particular. People here pull up their noses at Texas and I don't get why. They're actively involved in telling me that I will be truly miserable there.

As far as I can see, apart from the humidity (which some mention), it seems to me to be a pretty international city with lots to offer.

I'm also constantly told that if I do have to go to Texas, then I must choose either Austin or San Antonio, because they're 'lovely' or 'acceptable'.

I've looked at both. They don't offer what Houston does.

I'm a single baby boomer. My kid is educated. I don't want to buy a home. I'm a dual German/South African and have been in the States 7 years. I'm neither Republican nor Democrat. I'm also not religious, prefer the big city to small towns, like to be near the ocean, want an international airport so I can hop on the plane to Europe or Africa or wherever I'm going, and prefer to be where there are many different nationalities.

I have NOT felt at home in California because there's something about the level of hedonism that doesn't appeal to me. Also, I'm sick and tired of the high cost of living.

I am a bit scared of the humidity in Houston, but love swimming, and if there's a pool in the complex, I reckon I'd be able to cool down that way. Everything else seems to be in great - stable economy, low cost of living, international airport, cruise ships, good schools, - and I think I might truly enjoy the place.

So, any Californians who have moved to Texas, can you please tell me what the story is?

Thank you.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
This is a common theme in City-Data. It's because they (Californians) are jealous. The numbers do not lie:
Migration: Texas, here we come | The Economist

Ok being more serious - there are a lot of hard working folks in Texas from California who appreciate what Texas has to offer, but there are still a spoiled few who think that wherever they move should cater to their whims and desires. You will enjoy Houston, although it is sprawling, hot, and the closest beach isn't all that great. However, Houston is very international (you won't have a problem finding German or S. African expats), has lots of cultural possibilities, Texans will embrace you with open arms (this is one of the friendlier states overall), there is a stronger more stable economy in place, and you can easily OWN a house in a great neighborhood in your lifetime. Welcome!

Last edited by DanielWayne; 06-26-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Texans do the same to Californians. Its a two way street.

Either way, you will be fine here. Houston is a nice city and the people are friendly.

I live in Dallas and I love Texas. Its a very easy state to live in and the big cities (Houston and Dallas both) offer pretty much every city ammenity you could want.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,970 times
welcome to houston, single moms!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 PM

30 posts, read 76,117 times
Thank you so very much! Now I get the picture. I'm coming down in early August for a week, just to check that I'm okay with the humidity. However, I've been in both Durban and Johannesburg, South Africa, both of which can be very humid, and I survived. Also, London, in the summer gets very humid, and I survived that as well.

I am very excited to be moving to Houston, but not one person I have met here, has been positive about the move. It was beginning to get to me!

Thank you so very much for reassuring me.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
We smell bad and make more money.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
I'm going to fly out to CA and get to the bottom of this.....I'll find out why and get back to you.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:26 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Because Texas is become the most dynamic state and have the largest pop growth.Californians are jealous, but some of them aren't jealous and go to Texas because they have opportunities not available in Cali !

Old 06-26-2010, 03:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Just talked to my friend who got a job out in San Jose as a mechanic at a dealership. He's already about to be laid off.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default More..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
We smell bad and make more money.
We smell bad, drink more beer, and make more money and pay no state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston