Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,814 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband got a job in Deer Park and we are moving from Hermitage, (Nashville), TN. What are the nicest areas to buy a home around $210 with reasonable property taxes and a safe neighborhood and some trees. So far, all we can come up with is Pearland because it's close to Deer Park. But I've heard the homeowners insurance is very high. Can anyone enlighten us. I am a stay at home mom with a 17 month old girl so we're not worried about good schools! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,791,229 times
Property tax is about 3%. Pearland or Clear Lake areas may work, but I'll let the Pros chime in. Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation

Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,429,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjenkins View Post
I am a stay at home mom with a 17 month old girl so we're not worried about good schools! Thanks.
Are you planning on moving before your daughter hits grade school? Regardless, you should be worried about good schools as homes zoned to better schools generally do better in terms of retaining value/appreciating.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM

108 posts, read 170,651 times
There are places in Deer Park, La Porte, and Clear Lake that all match that criteria. The commute will be less and the school districts aren't bad either.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,123,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Are you planning on moving before your daughter hits grade school? Regardless, you should be worried about good schools as homes zoned to better schools generally do better in terms of retaining value/appreciating.
Absolutely correct. As to insurance - yes it will be lower if you move much further away - but you have then just shifted that money to extra gas to commute (not to mention commute time).

Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM

9 posts, read 29,374 times
I would stick to the Clear Lake, LaPorte areas. The commute is closer than Pearland.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,037,875 times
If you work in Deer Park. I would say maybe something around the Pasadena/La Porte area. Insurance will probably be slightly higher in those areas, as well as Pearland/Clear Lake/Friendswood, only because they are relatively close to the coast. Pearland would be the furthest from the coast and would also have the longest commute to Deer Park.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:55 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,892,589 times
Deer Park is nice - some of the newer areas off of Canada St. Good schools too. You should at least look. Also try Village Grove or Baywood Shadows (off of Fairmont & Space Center Blvd.) - although in Pasadena - they go to Deer Park Schools. If you look in that area - tell the realtor you want the side with Deer Park schools. Despite what some people say - its a good area to live in. Other than that, I would do as others have suggested and go with Clear Lake or Seabrook. In Clear Lake try Bay Glen, Bay Knoll and the areas immediately around those (Space Center Blvd & Clear Lake City Blvd).

Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 AM

6 posts, read 18,055 times
Look in LaPort or even Deer Park its self. Pearland tax base is high I pay 9,000.00 a year. Its one of the fastest growing citys in Brazoria county. Schools are good but your child will get a good education in those places also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston