U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2007, 12:59 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,355,447 times
That area in far North Katy is definitely a starter home enclave (mixed with some nicer neighborhoods), but you need that in order to have a healthy and thriving Real Estate market. As you drive further North towards 290, everything gets nicer.

Lot's of building going on in Cypress over the past 10 years. There's a pretty big core of $250,000 to $1 Million homes going up all along that Fry Rd. Corridor in Cypress, which will eventually be around 50,000+ some odd homes in that corridor alone built within the next 15 years.

That whole area on the South side of 290 has boomed along with the North side which is approaching build out. Personally, I prefer the wooded North side, but that's neither here nor there. There's not really a North/South thing here in Cypress...other than it being a geographical preference of wooded vs. open prairie. North Cypress may be more connected to the Klein and Champions areas by way of access to malls and shopping than say South Cypress which may be more connected to Katy and/or Copperfield. As the retail/office/entertainment centers develope in Towne Lake, Fairfield and Bridgeland, North/South Cypress will begin to consolidate there.

As for the North/South Katy thing, it seems pretty ridiculous. Cinco Ranch is just like any other community out there, 2 little live oaks in each front yard and an abundance of fast-growing crepe myrtles offering what little shade there is to the sun-scorched residents of the Katy Prairie. I realize the difference lies in the socio-economic/racial homogeneity that South Katy enjoys, but there are still an abundance of easily obtainable homes in the low $100's in South Katy...and still homes ranging all the way up to the $400's in North Katy - not the vast economic disparity that's made out by South Katy resident's who bring it up all the time like it's the poor kid from a John Hughes movie. Yes, the area between Katy and Cypress is not as high-income as the parts of Katy or Cypress that most refer to, but people have to live somewhere and as long as they're paying for it themselves, more power to them. It's the American Dream.

I believe the Grand Parkway extension will change people's paradigms as it opens up new areas for development and features others, like Bridgeland, which will have some pretty awesome amenities in the coming years. Amenities that will (like the ones going up along the I-10/Katy Corridor) be beneficial to the areas between Katy & Cypress that are currently in BFE.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 12-30-2007 at 01:23 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 AM

2,703 posts, read 235,937 times
South Cypress is just like North Katy. All along Fry Road from Clay on up to just north of FM 529. Just like Cypress gets nicer north of FM 529, Katy gets nice south of I-10.

But like you said, Cinco Ranch and Bridgeland is no different. Two live oaks in the yard. Same thing, different community.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 PM

550 posts, read 1,138,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
There are many nice neighborhoods going up in the area. Morton Creek Ranch will be a master-planned community sort of like Seven Meadows. With the monster they call the Bridelands just north of Morton Ranch, north Katy will be getting better and better. Also, with The Grand, Katy's first real mall (it will have a Macy's and Dillard's), being built just by JC Penny's. There is also an upscale neighborhood (maybe by Kickerillo) planned just north of the mall along Colonial Parkway, and south of Pope John High School. Then, the Grand Parkway will surely help with development up that way until 290. North Katy has good times ahead of it.

Hi! I was wondering if the OPS still think that all of this still holds true and is Colonial Parkway being built or still in the proposal stages? Also would you say North Katy has gotten better or worse in the past 2 years.. and do you think it will have improved in only 2 more years?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 PM

2,766 posts, read 4,232,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Williamsburg Settlement is an older, established subdivision zoned to fabulous Winborn Elementary. It is a Kickerillo development. It will probably see some increase in value if The Grand gets developed as promised.
LOL looking back at this thread, I must say that was a very good call. I should have listen to you and saved myself some money.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 PM

780 posts, read 1,693,434 times
Smile Katy South of 10 is better

You hae a choice either take the word of the consensus and move to South Katy or move to North Katy and find out later why people say South katy is better. YOU DECIDE!! Believe me South Katy is better. there are too many differences you just have to live here to see.

I know you get tempted by those great prices in North Katy but believe me they are cheap for a reason.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,363 times
What about Fawnlake Circle off of Avenue D in Katy? There is a golf course nearby, but those prices are mid-100s and resales are just sitting there this summer.

And, speaking of Bridgeland, we are now going on three months of David Weekley 65-foot lot inventory homes in Bridgeland that are STILL sitting unbought. This is amazing, considering it's summertime.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:39 PM

153 posts, read 327,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
LOL looking back at this thread, I must say that was a very good call. I should have listen to you and saved myself some money.
Hindsight is always 20/20. If I had to do it over, I would have moved into a more established subdivision in Katy (with trees, like Barkers Ridge).. but coming from Cali, we couldn't see past the new homes and cheap prices ("...We get this much house for that price?! Where do I sign!")

Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 PM

2,766 posts, read 4,232,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
That area in far North Katy is definitely a starter home enclave (mixed with some nicer neighborhoods), but you need that in order to have a healthy and thriving Real Estate market. As you drive further North towards 290, everything gets nicer.

Lot's of building going on in Cypress over the past 10 years. There's a pretty big core of $250,000 to $1 Million homes going up all along that Fry Rd. Corridor in Cypress, which will eventually be around 50,000+ some odd homes in that corridor alone built within the next 15 years.

That whole area on the South side of 290 has boomed along with the North side which is approaching build out. Personally, I prefer the wooded North side, but that's neither here nor there. There's not really a North/South thing here in Cypress...other than it being a geographical preference of wooded vs. open prairie. North Cypress may be more connected to the Klein and Champions areas by way of access to malls and shopping than say South Cypress which may be more connected to Katy and/or Copperfield. As the retail/office/entertainment centers develope in Towne Lake, Fairfield and Bridgeland, North/South Cypress will begin to consolidate there.

As for the North/South Katy thing, it seems pretty ridiculous. Cinco Ranch is just like any other community out there, 2 little live oaks in each front yard and an abundance of fast-growing crepe myrtles offering what little shade there is to the sun-scorched residents of the Katy Prairie. I realize the difference lies in the socio-economic/racial homogeneity that South Katy enjoys, but there are still an abundance of easily obtainable homes in the low $100's in South Katy...and still homes ranging all the way up to the $400's in North Katy - not the vast economic disparity that's made out by South Katy resident's who bring it up all the time like it's the poor kid from a John Hughes movie. Yes, the area between Katy and Cypress is not as high-income as the parts of Katy or Cypress that most refer to, but people have to live somewhere and as long as they're paying for it themselves, more power to them. It's the American Dream.

I believe the Grand Parkway extension will change people's paradigms as it opens up new areas for development and features others, like Bridgeland, which will have some pretty awesome amenities in the coming years. Amenities that will (like the ones going up along the I-10/Katy Corridor) be beneficial to the areas between Katy & Cypress that are currently in BFE.
LOL looking back on this post, I have to say I agree (dam, that was hard to write)

Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,188,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
lol looking back on this post, i have to say i agree (dam, that was hard to write)
:d:d:d

Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,067,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charris911 View Post
The neighborhoods and schools...are what makes things cheaper. South of IH10 is in much more in demand because you do not have to worry as much how the neighborhood will turn out (forclosures are high). Schools in Katy ISD south of IH10 are rated far higher. It is because the houses are cheaper north of IH10, that is part of the problem in-its-self. You can drive around and see the difference.
Sundown considered North Katy? Isn't South Katy mostly Fort Bend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston