Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:02 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
LMAO You folks obviously haven't been outside Houston much. Houston has a lot of great things going for it, but beauty and aesthetics isn't one of them.
I have only been in Houston for less than a quarter of my life Buddy. I have spent time in every area of the US except big sky country.

And I am always drawn back to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

What ditches are you all talking about? I've only seen this in the more rural areas of Houston or those "country" style neighborhoods you see. .
There are ditches around my aunt's house, but she lives all the way in Pearland.

That Algreen guy doesn't know Houston, he always makes wild claims

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
LMAO You folks obviously haven't been outside Houston much. Houston has a lot of great things going for it, but beauty and aesthetics isn't one of them.
Somewhat agree except:

1. Most people here and probably on this thread, moved to the area, me included. I've lived in Atlanta, L.A., Chicago, Nashville, Austin

2. I really miss the hills, but some places in the city are genuinely gorgeous:

(a) Museum District/Hermann Park/ Meacham Fountain/Rice U.
(b) Buffalo Bayou intersection with the West Loop at Woodway/Omni Hotel/Post Oak
(c) Memorial Dr./Woodway/Memorial Park confluence
(d) I really like my neighborhood features: T.C. Jester/White Oak Bayou/11th Street Park. Lots of green and Spanish moss, nice residences. The 11th street park, if you don't know, is forested 24 acres with trails, added to the park system 3~4 years ago.

3. Missing the hills is made up for by having Galveston I. so close. I went to a beach party recently on the southern tip, at that huge expansive beach down there near the bridge. At night, something like that can be magical. Where in SoCal can you drive onto the beach, stop, run naked into the water and not get the shivers?

Last edited by groovamos; 07-10-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 PM

for as much as I love Houston, I wouldn't brag about the coast. I go down to Galveston a lot but you couldn't pay me to touch the water

Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
for as much as I love Houston, I wouldn't brag about the coast. I go down to Galveston a lot but you couldn't pay me to touch the water
What is it about the water that you would say that? There's sometimes some silt from the rivers that hangs out around here, but what else? You can't see the silt at night I might add.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
What is it about the water that you would say that? There's sometimes some silt from the rivers that hangs out around here, but what else? You can't see the silt at night I might add.
It's because of the Mississippi River. That's why the beaches to the east of it are generally deemed as "nicer" than Galveston. I think Galveston should invest in importing sand to it's beaches, and fixing up the look of the Seawall (maybe some paint, art work, vines, etc.). Even then, it's been said during the news that Galveston is seeing it's best summer in years, partly because of the oil spill effecting other beaches along the Gulf.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Its probably just in my head. I grew up in the Caribbean and have a certain concept in my head, so I probably have unreasonable expectations.

Kinda like Paris Hilton shopping at walmart

Old 07-10-2010, 02:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I haven't been outside of Houston much? Do you know me? ...Yeah, that's why I thought. Houston doesn't look cheap. Maybe some of the unincorporated areas, though.

What ditches are you all talking about? I've only seen this in the more rural areas of Houston or those "country" style neighborhoods you see. There are obviously going to be bayous and ditches behind the neighborhoods though.
I think they talking about neighborhoods like this:

Houston,tx - Google Maps

Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Did you fail to read the whole sentence? I said "Zoning ... makes prices very volatile, very sensitive to tiny changes in demand, and as prone to huge crashes as big booms". I believe "huge crash" accurately describes Detroit and Cleveland. Just because zoning undersupplies land in times of normal demand doesn't mean that it can prop up land prices when entire cities are being abandoned. If you look at home prices from the last 5 years, you will see that the highest volatility occurs in places where land use controls are most strictly applied: California, Florida, Nevada, and parts of the Northeast.
I read the whole sentence. Housing values in Houston were in free-fall 24 years ago. And the city wasn't zoned 24 years ago either. Zoning has no effect.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think they talking about neighborhoods like this:

Houston,tx - Google Maps
LOL How long before someone says "Areas like that are far and few in Houston"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston