Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,941 times

Advertisements

After several years of traveling, hubby and I have collected a lot of cool stuff from around the world

We plan to set up one of our guest bedrooms with an Asian theme, decorating with collectables we have from China, Thailand, and South Korea.

What we don't have is furniture for the room...we would like to purchase the furniture when we get there, but not sure of availabilty.

Does Houston have stores with selection & prices such as this:

Shiu Fung Rosewood Furniture - Oriental Furniture, Chinese Furniture

beautiful rosewood furniture, not plywood, *reasonably* priced, depending on the piece...

If it is not available in Houston, we will purchase it here before we move (hopefully soon!) and move it along with the rest of the stuff.

Given the large population of Asian folks in Houston....I would have to imagine something like this would be in Houston??? Lots of these types of showrooms in San Francisco area. This one seems to have the best value, however. Probably because they are both the importers and retailers...no middleman

Though if we do buy here, it would be in the Sacramento showroom (about 2 hours drive) vs the Oakland showroom (about 1 hr drive...but Oakland is NOT my favorite city---gangs, crime proliferate the area...would rather drive the extra 1 hour!!)

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 05:02 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,829 times
I think Rosewood furniture on Fondren might be what you are looking for. Check out their website for more info: Rosewood Furniture Inc.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
I think Rosewood furniture on Fondren might be what you are looking for. Check out their website for more info: Rosewood Furniture Inc.
Thanks Timnwendy!!

Do you know what their pricing is like?? They only show a couple of web specials.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
You might also check out Home Source at Post Oak and San Felipe. Their style is more eclectic, but they do have some good finds.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
Thanks Timnwendy!!

Do you know what their pricing is like?? They only show a couple of web specials.
I have not been in the store since last fall, but as I recall they are not cheap. However, you can find some more reasonably priced items here and there. I do recommend visiting the store, as their showroom is very nice.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
There is a store whose name I don't recall that is located on Harwin Dr. just west of Hillcroft. They are chocked full of all manner of Asian furniture and you can tell the store by the large floor-sized Asian vases sitting in the window. They are on the north side of Harwin in a small south-facing strip center. Sorry I can't remember the name. But I should think finding authentic Asian furniture in Houston would not be a problem given the large Asian population here. Here are some other places to check out:

Oriental Palace Furniture
1982 Fm 1960 Rd W
Houston, TX 77090
281-440-1115

Asian Antiques Inc Center
5868A Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77057
(713) 780-9222‎

Here's a directory of Asian Houston businesses with all manner of things:
Houston Furniture, Antiques Directory

Here's a link to a place in Spring that sells Asian furniture:
Eastwind Asian Antiques - Houston Chinese Antiques, Asian Antiques, Tibetan Antiques, Oriental Antiques, Chinese Antique Furniture, Asian Antique Furniture, Tibetan Antique Furniture, Oriental Furniture, Chinese Jewelry, Tibetan Jewelry, Chinese Clot

Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM

33 posts, read 143,611 times
Default great Asian store.

You want to go to: Eastwind Asian Antiques - Houston Chinese Antiques, Asian Antiques, Tibetan Antiques, Oriental Antiques, Chinese Antique Furniture, Asian Antique Furniture, Tibetan Antique Furniture, Oriental Furniture, Chinese Jewelry, Tibetan Jewelry, Chinese Clot
in Old TOwn Spring. The woman who owns it is married to a man from China, and they spend months out of the year travel in China and southeast Asia and then ship the antiques and furniture they find to a warehouse in Beijing, where her father-in-law manages it and sends shipments to Houston. You can request a certain piece, or have them end you pictures of what they have in the warehouse, or you can request a region, etc. They can literally find anything for you and the prices in the store are cheaper than the web site. The owner is so friendly, she will find whatever you are looking for. I love their store!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!! Gives me something to work on..just want to make sure the prices & quality are at least as good as sfrosewood.com, also factoring in the cost of moving the furniture from CA to TX. Don't want to shoot myself in the foot, and get all the way out there to find prices are higher and not the same quality or availability...that would be REALLY disappointing!!

...and this current research project (helps to) keep my mind off stressing out about our CA home selling...

Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,159 times
There are tons of them on Harwin that specialize in nothing but importing stuff from China and India. Sometimes that is good and sometimes that is bad.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,840 times
there is a rosewood furniture on fondren between richmond and westheimer rd. very large selection of rosewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston