U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM

25,058 posts, read 23,758,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Newflash: Republicans and Moderates hate exurban sprawl as well.
I have no problem with some sprawl either. People need to have their space too but it has to be controlled. I think that being like England would be a good place to start on those hotspots, building only townhomes. Florida needs that and many southern states do. But forcing people to live in tower blocks like NYC seems a little too distopian to me. Then you have the issue of people like me, who believe that we should shrink our housing size and economize on space but it seems wrong to force that on people. So what do we do? Cause I like having my space

Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 PM

9,274 posts, read 23,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have no problem with some sprawl either. People need to have their space too but it has to be controlled. I think that being like England would be a good place to start on those hotspots, building only townhomes. Florida needs that and many southern states do. But forcing people to live in tower blocks like NYC seems a little too distopian to me. Then you have the issue of people like me, who believe that we should shrink our housing size and economize on space but it seems wrong to force that on people. So what do we do? Cause I like having my space

Weren't you just nailing someone for being liberal? I'm so confused

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,219,413 times
And what would you like us to do? Do you prefer North Korea's lifestyle where your govt chooses your path before you are even born?

Your govt (not mine) is rapidly dismantling our freedoms that we once enjoyed but we still have more freedoms then all but 16 other counties who have since passed us by as more free. Most of that loss during the Bush regime.

Why does your govt charge me to send your kids to school? I have none.
Why does OUR country not provide accessible and affordable health care to all?
Who are you to tell anybody where they should eat out?
Who are you to tell anybody where they can shop?
I'm not crowding our highways, those who drive like granpa do. I exceed the artificially low low speed limits that YOUR govt set and forces me to abide by or they extort my hard earned money from me...so I don't clog them.

You have a problem with homes built out of wood? Do you prefer straw, thatch, paper mache, metal.........? What is your home made of?
Do you want to live in a high rise human filing cabinet? I would rather not be alive then living in one of those dumps.
I hate the city and I hate city living so I choose to live out in the country where my neighbors have 4 legs rather then 2. My store and my work is in the city where people spend money.

Global warming is the biggest hoax since Y2K and radon. It does not exist except for Al Gore's world.

We are not the reason that public transportation sucks in Houston and elsewhere in America. WE THE PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE going to work with some stinky smelly scam bag sitting next to us playing rap music and wearing pants 14 times too big with their hat on backwards. I will never ever take a bus and neither will 99% of Americans.

If you see illegals building homes why didn't you call INS? Doesn't that make you just as guilty? Or is it that the laws already on the books are ignored because America has become such sissies and don't want to offend anyone. You know......that political correctness crap you likely accept.

The things I am on your side:
Mexican food is just about the most grotesque mush I have ever layed eyes on and I would never touch that garbage

I am more anti Walmart then the best of them. I support local mom and pop business and I WILL NEVER EVER EVER buy ANYTHING made in China, at least if I have a choice.

Electric cars? They won't tow my boat or RV and they can't go but an hour drive.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,530,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
The past few days with the rain and all the traffic has been AWFUL, it's just put me in a bad mood.

So......

Why do YOU choose to clog our freeways and drive far everyday polluting the earths atmosphere in BORING traffic?

Why do YOU choose to limit your shopping needs to BORING mega-stores?

Why do YOU choose to eat the same 'ol BORING food in generic chain restaurant #234?

Why do YOU choose to subject your children to BORING schools with much more superior options in the city?

Why do YOU choose to live in a BORING crap quality, prefabricated, poorly built McMansion that destroys the precious forests that our country so sorely needs?

Why do YOU choose to make these horrible investment decisions in buying a house far away from the city knowing that gentrification is occurring while your BORING suburb will be our future ghettos?

I hear the familiar arguments....

"We go for the good schools."

"We go for the crime free environment."

How can you say these things when inner city Houston offers all that and more?

YOU are the reason why Houston's air is so bad and why your great grand children are going to be growing up in a world full of un-breathable oxygen.

YOU are the reason why our atmosphere is dwindling and exposing us to extreme climate change, do YOU even remember when it snowed HERE IN HOUSTON 2 years in a ROW?

YOU are the reason why Walmart and every other major corporation is killing small businesses and taking over the world.

YOU are the reason why public transportation sucks so much here in Houston, I can't even take Metro rail anywhere because YOU morons keep making right turns where you're not supposed to and crashing into our trains.

YOU keep complaining about illegal immigrants yet YOU bought a house built by them, YOU eat food cooked by them, and YOU even have your house cleaned by them.

I could go on and on, but this is just a warning, if affordable long range electric cars don't exist in 10 years, yall are screwed.
Please, let people alone ! You hate suburbanites ?
I hate urban and arrogant people from big cities
Suburbs are great you can't change that but you can cry

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,530,330 times
Quote:
OMG Certainly not ! The US is a free country, it's not China or Vietnam
And Texas is large, so many spaces are available...NO control.
I'm a student and I live in a city but I want to live so much in a suburb, can't wait

Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,219,413 times
I found something very very interesting just now.

Don't bust your gut laughing. The OP must be quite passionate about his losing cause

Why do you suburbanites do it? (http://houston.craigslist.org/rnr/1832937711.html - broken link)

Title sound familiar?

Last edited by desertsun41; 07-08-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,071,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Don't bust your gut laughing. The OP must be quite passionate about his losing cause

Why do you suburbanites do it? (http://houston.craigslist.org/rnr/1832937711.html - broken link)
Nice job.

That is damn funny.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 27,509,247 times
Wow, busted.

Freakin' hilarious.

I'll bet this guy is trolling casual encounters, too.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 PM

9,032 posts, read 14,965,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
I tell my mom that EVERY day, she's actually even reconsidering and thinking about selling the house. Plus my dad and I don't live in a suburb, we live in Houston.
According to a post you made exactly 29 days ago - she moved into her dream house that very night. So, you say you have almost convinced her to put her month-old house on the market and buy a son-approved choice instead. Do you have any idea how much money she would lose doing that? Why would you do that?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 PM

221 posts, read 548,853 times
Quote:
And what would you like us to do? Do you prefer North Korea's lifestyle where your govt chooses your path before you are even born?

Your govt (not mine) is rapidly dismantling our freedoms that we once enjoyed but we still have more freedoms then all but 16 other counties who have since passed us by as more free. Most of that loss during the Bush regime.

Why does your govt charge me to send your kids to school? I have none.
Why does OUR country not provide accessible and affordable health care to all?
Who are you to tell anybody where they should eat out?
Who are you to tell anybody where they can shop?
I'm not crowding our highways, those who drive like granpa do. I exceed the artificially low low speed limits that YOUR govt set and forces me to abide by or they extort my hard earned money from me...so I don't clog them.

You have a problem with homes built out of wood? Do you prefer straw, thatch, paper mache, metal.........? What is your home made of?
Do you want to live in a high rise human filing cabinet? I would rather not be alive then living in one of those dumps.
I hate the city and I hate city living so I choose to live out in the country where my neighbors have 4 legs rather then 2. My store and my work is in the city where people spend money.

Global warming is the biggest hoax since Y2K and radon. It does not exist except for Al Gore's world.

We are not the reason that public transportation sucks in Houston and elsewhere in America. WE THE PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE going to work with some stinky smelly scam bag sitting next to us playing rap music and wearing pants 14 times too big with their hat on backwards. I will never ever take a bus and neither will 99% of Americans.

If you see illegals building homes why didn't you call INS? Doesn't that make you just as guilty? Or is it that the laws already on the books are ignored because America has become such sissies and don't want to offend anyone. You know......that political correctness crap you likely accept.

The things I am on your side:
Mexican food is just about the most grotesque mush I have ever layed eyes on and I would never touch that garbage

I am more anti Walmart then the best of them. I support local mom and pop business and I WILL NEVER EVER EVER buy ANYTHING made in China, at least if I have a choice.

Electric cars? They won't tow my boat or RV and they can't go but an hour drive.
I'm not suggesting "human filing cabinets", Houston will never be NYC. We need to revitalize and improve all our neighborhoods IN Houston, not out of it. The problem is sprawl that IS congesting our freeways, look at 290, look at 288, look at 59, look at 45, look at 610 all are freeways that are nightmares to drive on because of suburbanites. We need more METRO RAIL, it would be the best thing to happen to Houston.

Oh and a good portion of the stuff in your house is either from china, or another country. We aren't an industrial economy anymore because we import more than we produce or export. We're more of an information, technology economy now.

Quote:

Title sound familiar?
lol I posted it on craigslist too see what they say there as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
According to a post you made exactly 29 days ago - she moved into her dream house that very night. So, you say you have almost convinced her to put her month-old house on the market and buy a son-approved choice instead. Do you have any idea how much money she would lose doing that? Why would you do that?
You're right, we won't be selling immediately. When home values rise she said she would consider it.

Quote:
Got a future Democrat voter in the making . FWI a lot of that pollution is caused by industry near you, not cars. And cars are becoming more environmentally friendly so stop whining and swallowing the liberal propaganda before it's too late. I'm from San Juan, Puerto Rico and I'm GLAD I lived in a rural area and I live in the suburbs now. Once you live out if the city few will want to come back
Carbon Dioxide - Human-Related Sources and Sinks of Carbon Dioxide | Climate Change - Greenhouse Gas Emissions | U.S. EPA (http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/emissions/co2_human.html - broken link)

That should put your claim to rest. A LARGE portion is transportation which is cars, planes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or