U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM

18,516 posts, read 16,589,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Lyndon Johnson taught school at Sam Houston High

oh yeah. Didn't he also have a house in Montrose?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:57 PM

Man, I have been lazy. I have not posted in this thread for a while.

How about I make the next entry a little more interesting and make it into a trivia game.

San Antonio, claims to be the birthplace of Texas, but more clinching events happened in and around (emphasis on around) the Greater Houston area.

1. What two GH cities have adopted the nickname "Birth Place of Texas" because of their proximity to a definitive battle in the war for liberty?

Other cities may be considered the birth place for other reasons. Cities where treaties involving liberty are signed are good contenders.

2. In what City was Treaty in which Santa Anna promised to end hostilities between Texas an Mexico was signed? I am looking for the present day name of the city.

3. What was the first (Interim) Capital of the Republic

Apart from Treaties, Definitive Battles, or Capitals, another great way of deciding where our country began is by looking at where our country started. Now no one would claim that the US started with Native Americans. I was always taught that our country was started by the colonist and then the founding fathers sealed the deal.

4. The original colonists first settlement in Texas was started in what GH county?

5. What was the first True battle in the War for our Liberty called?

6. Another strong contender is where Independence was first declared. What city was Texas Declaration of Independence signed??

7. Who is the Founding Father who wrote our Declaration and where is he buried?

8. Apart from Austin, Texas has had 6 other capitals (all in and around GH). Name them.

9. Apart from stealing our Capital, Austin also stole the body of the Father of Texas. Where did Steven Austin die and where was he buried before the body was moved to Austin?

10. The big guns were absent from the convention of 1836, what Houston area resident became the Interim president of our Republic?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:24 PM

The first Off shore drilling operation in Texas was based off of the city of Goose Creek.

Goose Creek was one of three cities that came together to form the city of Baytown.

Goose Creek, Perry and East Baytown, came together in 1948 to form the city of Baytown as we know it today.

Gary Busey and Mega Church Pastor John Hagee are from the area.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:39 PM

The Denzel Washington Movie- The Great Debaters- was based on the true life story of Henrietta Bell Wells.

Wells was born near Buffalo Bayou. She was a member of the first interracial intercollegiate debate in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/us/12wells.html?_r=1

Old 12-17-2010, 06:18 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,485,819 times
I have never read this thread until today. I love history and trivia. I know West Columbia was the first capitol of Texas.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberazeneth View Post
I have never read this thread until today. I love history and trivia. I know West Columbia was the first capitol of Texas.
If That is your answer to number 3, then you are wrong

Old 12-18-2010, 12:13 AM

HtownLove, they built a sidewalk by the Walgreens on S.H. 35 and they call it Capitol Park. They claim that they were the first capitol of Texas on the signage. The Old 300 settled in Brazoria County around Peach Point and Jones Creek correct?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:42 AM

9,958 posts, read 4,004,487 times
Williams Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At the very top of Williams Tower there's a small glass room that houses the rotating beacon light that everyone knows, it's about 5' x 5' and about 4' tall. The light itself uses an arc lamp which is similar to what can be found in large movie theater projectors. There's a small metal door/hatch to get into that room for maintaining the light and it's cooling system, when you stick your head through the hatch you can literally see for 30 or 40 miles in any direction if the skies are clear. On the top side of that hatch there are about 60 names of people who have signed it after being up there for various reasons. My name is on the back side of that hatch. Hurricane Ike did a bunch of damage to the beacon area but the hatch survived.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberazeneth View Post
HtownLove, they built a sidewalk by the Walgreens on S.H. 35 and they call it Capitol Park. They claim that they were the first capitol of Texas on the signage. The Old 300 settled in Brazoria County around Peach Point and Jones Creek correct?
Ding Ding Ding.

You got the answer to question 4 correct, but question 3 is still wrong.

Yes, the first settlers to our great state settled in the lower Brazoria county area. You get the #4 prize.

Let me give you a clue to answer number 3.

In 1836, things were shaky so a permanent capital was not settled until the next year. The capital was moved between 5 cities because of this unrest. The first President made his capital in the city that bears his name, but the interim President before him, had his interim capital in the city where an important Treaty was signed soon after the Battle of San Jac had ended.

Quote:
1. What two GH cities have adopted the nickname "Birth Place of Texas" because of their proximity to a definitive battle in the war for liberty?

Other cities may be considered the birth place for other reasons. Cities where treaties involving liberty are signed are good contenders.

2. In what City was Treaty in which Santa Anna promised to end hostilities between Texas an Mexico was signed? I am looking for the present day name of the city.

3. What was the first (Interim) Capital of the Republic

Apart from Treaties, Definitive Battles, or Capitals, another great way of deciding where our country began is by looking at where our country started. Now no one would claim that the US started with Native Americans. I was always taught that our country was started by the colonist and then the founding fathers sealed the deal.

4. The original colonists first settlement in Texas was started in what GH county? -Answer- Lower Brazoria County-Amberazeneth

5. What was the first True battle in the War for our Liberty called?

6. Another strong contender is where Independence was first declared. What city was Texas Declaration of Independence signed??

7. Who is the Founding Father who wrote our Declaration and where is he buried?

8. Apart from Austin, Texas has had 6 other capitals (all in and around GH). Name them.

9. Apart from stealing our Capital, Austin also stole the body of the Father of Texas. Where did Steven Austin die and where was he buried before the body was moved to Austin?

10. The big guns were absent from the convention of 1836, what Houston area resident became the Interim president of our Republic?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Well I do remember the easy locations of Houston, Harrisburg, and where they drew up the state constitution at Washington-on-the-Brazos. I knew those were Capitals. Why does West Columbia claim to be the first capital of Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston