Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 AM

352 posts, read 569,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Much of the above sounds like typical games played by staffing agencies or company recruiters during a bad economy. Many of them are simply trying to look busy to save their own jobs.

As for being direct or ''confrontational,'' from what I've experienced the clowns who beat around the bush, yank your chain, and play other games aren't interested in doing anything else for you.
Yep, thats what it sounds like to me! I'm taking it with a grain of salt and keepin' it moving. Just another adventure of life..

Last edited by USNomad; 07-13-2010 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM

352 posts, read 569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex87 View Post
You have to ask for the job at the interview directly. If they say no, then you know the answer and you won't wait around wondering whether you got it or not. That's what I had to do for my current home security systems job. If they tell you that they have to think about hiring you or consult with their business partner first, or whatever, then you're chances of being hired aren't that great. Sometimes just being persistent pays off though. Try calling HR again to find out the status of their hiring decision or to find out if they expect more positions to open up. Most of all, don't give up. Also, ask WHEN they want someone to start. If they say they need someone to start on Monday then ask them what time they would like you to come in but do it tactfully. Perhaps you just need to ask better questions and to take control of the interview.
Thanks for the suggestions, however I've been doing what you've suggested for quite a while now. I can usually tell during the first 5 minutes of the interview, which questions to ask. Since being in houston, some interviewers seem a bit sensitive to assertiveness. I consider it MY interview. I simply ask at the end of the interview, "Has there been anything that you learned about me today, that would prevent you from hiring me right now?" This is where most of them fumble the ball; I guess they feel that candidates aren't bold enough to ask this. If they say "no", then I ask when my start date is. I like to interview the company first to see if I even want to work for them.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 PM

24 posts, read 72,145 times
Thank God I'm not alone. I am so very frustrated with the job search. I spend more time in front of my computer looking for jobs than I do sleeping. It seems like I'm just sending my resume to a black hole. Everyone told me that Houston was great because it's the only city with it's own economy and all of that bull****. If that is true then why can't I find anything? I regret moving from Dallas so much.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,381 times
USNomad,

[FONT=Verdana]I've checked this forum from time to time and your post is the one that made me join. I've been going through the same thing... have been offered a few jobs that I accepted, and then I don't hear anything... I called the job that I was offered (which made me move to Houston in the first place) and was told you're the man for the job still but the city has a freeze on our department's budget. This move have been one big nightmare, I network and all I here from the locals is that you need to know someone! It is apparent that the economic situation (planned by those who are ruining this country) is mostly part of the blame for this. Also, it is also apparent that this is not a city that is based on credentials alone.[/FONT]

Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
I really like Houston however, I've been here 6 months, seeking employment, and so far I've encountered some interesting happenings, repeatedly; as follows:

1. I interview, they claim they're ready to hire me, and never hear back from them.

2. Staffing agencies must get paid for simply placing you in their database because I haven't heard back from any of them despite their claims that I'm a very strong candidate and i should have NO problem getting hired.

3. People here seem very personal and want to know all of your personal business, sometimes during interviews.

4. I've accepted 3 job offers thus far, and still don't have a start date for any of them.

5. Hiring managers/owners of businesses clam up when you ask them direct questions, especially face to face; I appreciate honest responses-my feelings won't get hurt.

6. People here seem like they have trouble handling confrontation (I don't mean negative confrontation either)

My conclusion: This is one of the biggest "Who you know" places in America. If you don't know someone, than a significant percentage of people are feeling the same way i do. And, If the job market is slow, why does it take Human Resources forever to respond to anything? I'm not angry, but humbly seeking some sense of understanding here people.
A lot of places have policies on having to interview X amount of outside people before they can hire internally. You'd think they would have the decency not to lead people on but they do. I worked at a place where the guy enjoyed his little slice of power and laid it on really thick during the interviews.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,103 times
I don't think these issues are unique to Houston. Pretty much happens everywhere.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,678,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I don't think these issues are unique to Houston. Pretty much happens everywhere.
Pretty much. I've just gone through much of the same thing here, albeit on a larger scale. I blame the economy. Employers are in no rush to hire. They're being picky because they can afford to be.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:36 PM

104 posts, read 359,651 times
I been in Houston 1 year and been on tons of job interviews, so many I can't even count. It makes me so upset because I am a single mother and I'm only trying to provide for myself and my daughter without welfare assistance. I cry and pray about it but seem like I'm always let down. I don't even get nervous or excited anymore when someone call me asking me to come to an interview because I already know I'm just burning my gas going get denied AGAIN!!..Eventually I got a job but pay is not good, but atleast it is better than nothing, the only reason I got this current job is because I knew somebody who knew somebody who knew me *smile*. I am thankful for this job, but I did wish I could find one with more pay. Don't give up Jobseekers, I pray that your time comes.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:36 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
I really like Houston however, I've been here 6 months, seeking employment, and so far I've encountered some interesting happenings, repeatedly; as follows:

1. I interview, they claim they're ready to hire me, and never hear back from them.

2. Staffing agencies must get paid for simply placing you in their database because I haven't heard back from any of them despite their claims that I'm a very strong candidate and i should have NO problem getting hired.

3. People here seem very personal and want to know all of your personal business, sometimes during interviews.

4. I've accepted 3 job offers thus far, and still don't have a start date for any of them.

5. Hiring managers/owners of businesses clam up when you ask them direct questions, especially face to face; I appreciate honest responses-my feelings won't get hurt.

6. People here seem like they have trouble handling confrontation (I don't mean negative confrontation either)

My conclusion: This is one of the biggest "Who you know" places in America. If you don't know someone, than a significant percentage of people are feeling the same way i do. And, If the job market is slow, why does it take Human Resources forever to respond to anything? I'm not angry, but humbly seeking some sense of understanding here people.
I wish the best!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 AM

322 posts, read 709,874 times
Network! I know its been said here already. Also, TELL people you are looking for work. Find the movers and shakers. Be a guest at Rotary Clubs.

If you are USG, that is really tough, and at this point, Houston is not the place to be for USG, unless you are bi-lingual (and not necessarily Spanish speaking) and Homeland Security. USG, as you know, like many companies, HAVE to interview a certain number of candidates to prove competition for the job.

Did you know most jobs advertised already have the intended candidate? Its to keep discrimination/competition lawyers at bay.

You need to NOT just 'interview a company' - to see if YOU want to work for THEM, you need to market yourself so much that they will MAKE A POSITION FOR YOU, if you are the bee's knees of your industry.

You know American HR folks say, "Wonderful, we'll let you know." is NOT "I want to hire you!" - its more like going to a bar and meeting someone and they say, "I'll call you." Its a NICE way to let you know - 'sorry, we aren't interested.'

No HR department on earth would truly say 'we want to hire you' as that is a lawsuit waiting to happen, if they aren't prepared to follow it up with a contract.

You say 3 firms have given offers to you. Then stand at their HR door with those offer letters and ask for a start date! Or during the offer process, NAIL DOWN the start date.

Instead of moaning that its the HR folks or the economy, look at each case and how YOU could have turned it to YOUR favor, and how next time YOU will close the deal. Days are long gone with companies begging people to work for them, or waiting for the company to wine and dine YOU. YOU must close the deal or learn the signals that your time is being wasted, so move onto another candidate opportunity.

Also remember (did you ever go to career counseling in school or college??) something like 3 out of every four jobs available are NEVER ADVERTISED.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: