Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 PM

31 posts, read 248,134 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am retiring from the military next year and plan to move to Sugar Land. My wife and I currently live in Maryland and have decided to make Texas our new home.
We visited Sugar Land last year for 3 days and are leaning toward having a home built in Telfair. We are going to visit again next month for a week to make our final decision as to what community we want to live in and who our builder will be.
I am so glad that I found this web site as I have gained a lot of information about the area. I've learned that Highland is a pretty good builder and we have contacted them to discuss building our house.
What I haven't been able to find on this site is:

1. What is the crime rate in Sugar Land/ Telfair (not looking for hard numbers, just your honest opinion)
2. Any Highland home owners in Telfair; please give me a assessment of your home and the Telfair community
3. Besides Telfair, what other community should my wife and I visit this time? (we are looking for a home in the $250k-$440k range)
4. Can someone PLEASE explain the different sections to me?

In closing, we are not sold on living in Telfair but we are sold on living in Sugar Land. We are open to living in another community or going with another builder. Your input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 07:03 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
What makes you so set on Sugarland -- family? If I were moving here and didn't have to commute downtown every day, it wouldn't be high on my list...

Old 07-17-2010, 07:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA357 View Post
1. What is the crime rate in Sugar Land/ Telfair (not looking for hard numbers, just your honest opinion)
It's low by Houston/Texas standards in the subdivisions. Once you get into the commercial areas (shopping or public parking lots) I think that goes out the window and you are likely just as vulnerable as any commercial area in the major Texas metros. Hwy 59 is a major in/out route from Houston (including some rough areas of town).

Quote:
2. Any Highland home owners in Telfair; please give me a assessment of your home and the Telfair community
From what I've seen, Telfair is great. Basically a newer First Colony. It's the same developer as Cinco Ranch. Don't know much about the specific builders though.

Quote:
3. Besides Telfair, what other community should my wife and I visit this time? (we are looking for a home in the $250k-$440k range)
If you want new construction but don't care about having a Sugar Land address, look into Old Orchard or Aliana, which are nearby. Lower taxes and more competitive pricing on new homes.
If you want Sugar Land but are open to older homes, look into First Colony or New Territory. Both are great.

Quote:
I don't know myself, but know a friend who lives in Telfair, is a realtor and on the Telfair HOA. I can send you her info you'd like.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I am retiring from the military next year and plan to move to Sugar Land. My wife and I currently live in Maryland and have decided to make Texas our new home.
We visited Sugar Land last year for 3 days and are leaning toward having a home built in Telfair. We are going to visit again next month for a week to make our final decision as to what community we want to live in and who our builder will be.
I am so glad that I found this web site as I have gained a lot of information about the area. I've learned that Highland is a pretty good builder and we have contacted them to discuss building our house.
What I haven't been able to find on this site is:

In closing, we are not sold on living in Telfair but we are sold on living in Sugar Land. We are open to living in another community or going with another builder. Your input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Good luck!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 PM

No particular reason as to why I have to live in Sugar Land other than this is where my initial plan to retire is. We'll be in the area for a week (which really isn't a lot of time) and we will visit other areas. Who knows, maybe we'll settle somewhere else.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:

I am retiring from the military next year and plan to move to Sugar Land.
Though Sugar Land is very Republican, I thought I would just throw in for a quick second that Sugar Land (like much of Houston minus Clear Lake) isn't a very strong prior-military/Officer area. Judging from your post and the kind of house you are in the market for, you appear to be a retiring Officer, which is cool.

Though it would be rather difficult for me to explain why without starting a flame-war, overall Sugar Land is not a very military-friendly town. One of the more obvious reasons for this is that much of Sugar Land is recent Asian immigrants (Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, etc.) and the US military to them is a very, very, very foreign concept. There area few other reasons too...

I'm not saying don't move to Sugar Land. I'm just saying to a soon-to-be retired Officer that be aware that the military is way over the heads of a lot of people there, esp. among the foreign born/first generation population, which is significant and growing.

When I think of a good place in Houston for retired O's, I think of Clear Lake, as NASA has a strong, deeply-entrenched working relationship with the military and the core of NASA (astronauts) are usually military Officers.

I'm saying this as someone who is Asian-American, grew up in Sugar Land and served. I know of at least two Officers in my former Army Reserve unit that would agree with my assessment.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 07-17-2010 at 11:14 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 AM

Thank You. I will definitely put Clear Lake on my "To Do" list while I am in the area. Any suggestions of which communities we should visit while there?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Yes, Clear Lake is nice too (Clear Lake and surrounding communities I think are referred to as "Bay Area" now.) You'll be closer to the water.

You might also check into Memorial. You won't get as much in that price range (and it will be a much older, smaller home) but it's a long-standing great area of Houston.

If you don't mind being far out from town and like the master-planned feel, look into The Woodlands as well.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:20 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
If commute to downtown wasn't an issue, but I still wanted to live in Houston, I'd concentrate my search in the Woodlands and Kingwood. Nothing against Sugarland -- it's a great place, I'd just expand my search to North Houston.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
We recently moved to Sugar land, my Husband is retired Af and for us it is wonderful to live somewhere away from all the military stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston