Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,141 times

Advertisements

Please don't assume. My child is 18 months, so NO, I would not allow her to walk across the street, let alone run near the end of the driveway. Children play on my street all day long, and no, my children will NEVER play in the street, ever. Safely crossing a neighborhodd street to see a friend is different from playing in the street, and they will learn how to do so properly, as I was taught as a child.

And I've read her post, but thank you for re-posting for others to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM

34 posts, read 58,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyMomOfTwo View Post
Please don't assume. My child is 18 months, so NO, I would not allow her to walk across the street, let alone run near the end of the driveway. Children play on my street all day long, and no, my children will NEVER play in the street, ever. Safely crossing a neighborhodd street to see a friend is different from playing in the street, and they will learn how to do so properly, as I was taught as a child.

All children should be taught how to cross the street. You can put in stop signs and speed bumps, but you can't rely on the driver to not be reckless. I am an adult and was recently hit by a car at a cross walk due to the driver recklessly texting and running the stop sign.

You can try to actively make your neighborhood safer by limiting traffic to the best of your ability.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM

OPT is not the only neighborhood in the U.S. opposed to Aldi. Neighbors oppose plans for Aldi's store - Buffalo News | HighBeam Research

Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Even for those whose property will not back up to ALDI it WILL effect the entire area’s property values. Additionally, I have neighbors and friends that live in OPT that would be severely impacted by this store. That’s what we do here – help our friends and neighbors and hold our community to a standard that makes this a great place to live and raise kids.

Do you know these facts about the proposed ALDI store site?
*Truck traffic for deliveries will be routed into an entrance on Oak Park Trails Drive (not Mason Rd)? Just across from another nice quiet business/neighbor, an alzheimers care facility. Oak Park Trails Drive is not a major street that should be subjected to daily truck traffic from grocery store deliveries. It is a neighborhood streets meant to move traffic in and out of the community. We fought for years to get the traffic signal to provide a safe way in and out of OPT. Now find out that if there was no signal, ALDI would not have selected it as a potential site. Nice. Oh yea nad when they have to put in a turn lane to turn left onto MAson from OPT Drive – they get to rip out our nice esplanade and all our pretty landscaping. We will be lucky to keep a spit of green around the monument signs and flag poles.
*Most deliveries will be made at night – after midnight. Great unless you happen to live in the “ALDI” zone. Or at the Alzheimers home. Or in one of the apartments that faces onto the ALDI site.

* There will be no access to the site for southbound Mason Rd traffic unless they turn left onto OPT Drive, forcing shopper traffic into our neighborhood and on a neighborhood street (not a major thoroughfare). Then there will be the cut through traffic as people try to get there and avoid the Highland Knolls/Mason Road traffic. Directly effects the safety of our neighborhood and the children that live and play here in OPT.

*ALDI loading dock and trash/garbage areas will back up to homes and an exisiting dog park that belongs to the apartment complex. Not a good thing at all!
*Aldi stores are only staffed by 2-3 employees at a time for 2 shifts. So no big increase in jobs here – will hire 6-10 employees MAX! And since they staff so little there is no one to patrol parking lot, etc. They barely have time to stock the shelves – oh wait a minute – they dont have shelves…they barely have time to stack the pallets and open the cardboard boxes while trying to also check out shoppers.

*No security provided which means the deputies that our HOA pays to patrol OUR neighborhood will have to keep an eye on things over inthe ALDI parking lot. Guess we can foot the bill for that too.
*Property values have gone down in other neighborhoods that have been in similar situation with ALDI. I think fighting to protect the value of my home and all the homes in my area is of great importance! I moved here from the Alief area many years ago so I know what can happen when a neighborhood does not or cannot fight for higher standards.

Just some thoughts that I wanted to share to help clarify our opposition.
We are not opposed to ALDI – just the location.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Katymomof2 - Don't you have two kids or are they both under the age of 18 months?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyKares View Post
Katymomof2 - Don't you have two kids or are they both under the age of 18 months?
I have an 18 month old and I have one on the way. Is that relevant to this discussion?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:32 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
Quote:
I have an 18 month old and I have one on the way. Is that relevant to this discussion?
You are the one constantly talking about them.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You are the one constantly talking about them.
Actually, KatyKares asked me a question and I responded. One post about not allowing my children play in the street is not 'constantly talking about them'

Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,127,907 times
I talk about my kids all the time too. They're the bomb!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Katymomof2 - Your name is Katy Mom of 2. You said that your child was 18 months old. Remember we were talking about how you child could not cross the street. I was just wondering about the other.

I consider my dog my child. So I thought maybe you had an 18 month old and four legged child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston