Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

As Houston's population grows, its skyline(s) grows with it. Does anyone have any skyline picks of Houston including downtown, uptown, midtown, TMC, etc. Also, post so new skylines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:37 PM

I found this one with the Hardy Rail Yard.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
That looks interesting.

I wonder what Houston will look like in 50 years. Will people still be coming at the rate they are now? Where would we put them? will we be building more residential highrises than business ones?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
There's also Greenspoint, the area around Greenway Plaza, the Energy corridor, and the area around Halliburton - Beltway 8 and Bellaire. I read an article that said the skyline of the TMC is larger than downtown Denver, and is expected to surpass Downtown Dallas in a few years.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 PM

That's really awesome. Any pictures?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
I like all of Houston's skylines so its kinda hard to pick just one. About the only gripe I have with Houston's skylines except the Med Center is the unimaginative lighting, or lack of that they use on the buildings. Houston used to have a great night time skyline 10 years ago...I don't know what happened. Being the Energy Capital of the World you would think they could showcase their signature skyscrapers a little bit more than just stringing some Christmas lights around the top.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
As Houston's population grows, its skyline(s) grows with it. Does anyone have any skyline picks of Houston including downtown, uptown, midtown, TMC, etc. Also, post so new skylines.
Yeah let me give you the tour-

Downtown Houston Skyline:

Uptown Houston Skyline (3 different views):

Here is just one segment of it-

Texas Medical Center- Houston Skyline:

^^ These are a bit outdated, it has changed quite a lot since then.

Greenway Plaza Skyline:

^^ This is the best picture I could find of it, it's still bad because the other twin tower is behind one of them... and the other buildings don't show up because they are behind these two. From the picture it only looks like two buildings, but it's really a lot more... 12 buildings total.

And some other minor skylines that I am leaving out but oh well- here's the main picture.

The combined Houston Skyline (almost everything put together from a distance):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I like all of Houston's skylines so its kinda hard to pick just one. About the only gripe I have with Houston's skylines except the Med Center is the unimaginative lighting, or lack of that they use on the buildings. Houston used to have a great night time skyline 10 years ago...I don't know what happened. Being the Energy Capital of the World you would think they could showcase their signature skyscrapers a little bit more than just stringing some Christmas lights around the top.
It's 2010, and Houston went from the oil & gas capital to a level up on Energy Capital. The old is the past, I think Houston should just get brand new signature tower instead.
They're growing the skyline out, but they aren't showing it off as much as before, you are right, I remember a building in downtown Houston used to have green lights on... I don't see much of that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
If you want, I will put together a thread for ALL the new projects Houston has planned, is proposed, is under construction, is stale proposal, is dormant proposal, or recently canceled, or is approved but hasn't started yet.

Let me know if you're interested in a thread like that.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 PM

Why not?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
It's 2010, and Houston went from the oil & gas capital to a level up on Energy Capital. The old is the past, I think Houston should just get brand new signature tower instead.
They're growing the skyline out, but they aren't showing it off as much as before, you are right, I remember a building in downtown Houston used to have green lights on... I don't see much of that anymore.
Yep that's the Wedge Tower & it used to be outlined in green neon at night. They kinda got the idea from Dallas' Bank of America.

Wedge didn't receive that lighting treatment until about the early-mid 90's. Rarely will you ever see it lit up anymore. I haven't even seen just the roof lines lit up in 3-4 years like they used to do when they stopped lighting the whole thing 10 years ago.

Some say its because of the people in the nearby residential towers who complained they couldn't sleep with it at night. I say it was more of a way to save on the electric bill & constant maintenance.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 PM

From your pictures, Greenway Plaza is real close to Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston