Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,768 times

Advertisements

Thank you Sampaguita!!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagles01 View Post
To AcresHomes44.......

As a native Bostonian, I like Houston. The cost of living here is GREAT. You get alot of square-footage for your dollar here.

Being from Taxachusetts,it is of course my opinon that no one here can EVER complain about taxes...unless you spend a year in New Jersey,New York or Massachusetts. It's a KILLER.

Great climate, the economy here seems to be very robust...even in slow times. In my time here..going back to 2001, I've seen nothing but growth. It's slowed at time,but nonetheless steady growth over my time here.

Alot of large companies are headquartered here. The big airport has shown nothing but growth ( which is a great thing ) a city that adds service or continues to recieve service is a great indicator of local growth.

I can never figure out why some people here are always trying to stack up to New York or LA. It's always seemed in talking with some of my co-workers there's this need to 'prove' something to the rest of the country.

I can tell you as a Bostonian, I LOVE Boston. I'm extremely proud of my hometown. But it's not New York. It's not LA.

And neither do I care. We're good at what we're good at. I think the local school system is one of the best in the country. I think the local colleges there are some of the tops in the country and world. But no we don't have a broadway or hollywood or nice sunny beaches.

Be proud of what Houston does have. A strong corporate community. Low taxes ( comparable to New York, San Fran,and LA ) I mean do you REALLY want to pay what they pay in Taxes ? Do you know what a 1 bdrm, 1 bath will run you in Boston ? Do you know what the median home price is in the Boston area ? You have a great school in Rice which is considered a TOP university in the country ( I still think BC is better ) I live in Houston but I hear people say all kinds of things about Massachusetts and Boston,but I don't care. Most have either never been there, go on what they've heard or seen on TV, or visit/drive through and figure they know all about the place. Same with Houston..don't sweat what other people think.

Houston is just fine. I think it's a hidden gem and you should too.
Oh trust me, I love Houston for what it is, not because it's trying to be something it's not. We'll get the amenities we want in time. And yes, you'll pay an arm and leg in the NE (especially Boston, NYC, DC and Philly) but at the same time, the jobs pay well up there so I guess it evens out.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,971 times
I wouldn't bash Houston for not being enough like other major American cities because they are cr@p as well.

The facts as I see them are that Houston is a geographically challenged swamp in an area of little or no interest and seemingly populated by vacuous empty vessels that move from one grazing/shopping opportunity to the next like a plague of fat locusts.

While it's true that there is some interest in watching the microbes in the petri dish the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

I'll be happy when my contract period ends and I can move back to a civilised country where people do more than exist.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,050 times
Lemme move back to beautiful Helena, MT (my home before Houston) I'll complain to all my neighbors about the high taxes, frigid winters, the crappy, drafty trailer I've traded my TX climate-controlled brick house for. The lack of restaurants and shopping, how everyone looks the same (white) how I can't get a good plate of Mexican food, or Indian Food, or soul Food...etc..., etc...

I'll go on and on how Helena, MT should be more like Houston, pleasant Spring and Fall, pretty houses, good schools, culture, no need to drive 80 miles to buy a new mattress or car. I'll tell everyone that Houston is better than Helena, and Helena is just a no-good town. Yeah, they'll LOOVE me! I'll be speaking the truth! Me! With my "worldly knowledge" All those hicks who were born and bred there have NO CLUE how better it could be... IF ONLY IT WERE MORE LIKE HOUSTON!

See how stupid I sound there? Houston bashers need to get over themselves. Houston can't and shouldn't be more like San Francisco, Boston (insert your hometown here.) Houston should be HOUSTON. Take it or leave it. You don't have to like everything about it... but let's be honest, no place is 100% perfect... so get over it and enjoy the good while you're stuck here. Who knows what you might miss when you're gone!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,050 times
City-Data is a great site to get the vibe of what locals think about their city. I challenge any/all Houston bashers to scour the other city forums and find this perfect, no-fault city you think Houston should be...

Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 AM

316 posts, read 784,381 times
Quote:
I don't mind the criticisms so much (read threads from any other city, all are criticized for something), but many Houstonians get way too defensive, and lash back with talk like "we like our busted up sidewalks just the way they are 'cause that's what makes Houston what it is.." that to me is just stupid.
-

Thank you.......And so many Houstonians have never lived in another major city outside of Texas, so they have this illusion and think this place is so great, you know the type..Boosters - Houstonians are way too sensitive - Too much False pride..."Texas this and Houston that" - and over what? A sweltering albatross in the middle of a swamp -

OK I know you Boosters like to tell everyone how great this place is ...but maybe it's time for ya'll to take a Vacation outside of you beloved state - Relax & take a break..for once, check out some new exotic and Magical far away places, like California, New York, D.C., Colorado,MFlorida, North Carolina, Hawaii, New England - you know put away the denim shorts, camouflage ball caps, Orange T-Shirts, peel off the Dub'ya 04 stickers on the minivan, park the Dually's, turn off the country music and live a little, see some real beauty....outside of your beloved City & State -

Welcome to Houston:
You can throw a Saddle on a Pig, but you're really better off trading up to a Horse... or at least a donkey: see Austin....

Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
I lived in North Carolina for 13 months. To be honest, I didn't appreciate Houston until about two or three months into that stretch.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 AM

Oh yeah - i forgot to mention the most important thing Houstonians like to tell people: *********, We're from Texas!!

Is this the state song?? -
YouTube - *********, We're from Texas

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I lived in North Carolina for 13 months. To be honest, I didn't appreciate Houston until about two or three months into that stretch.
I can understand that - but I would bet you had to like the music scene and culture in Chapel Hill -Carrboro areas - the geography is pretty nice up there as well.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:30 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
I can understand that - but I would bet you had to like the music scene and culture in Chapel Hill -Carrboro areas
It's like Austin without the city around it. If I have to choose, I'll take Austin. Sorry man. It just really wasn't my thing. Hell, I only like Austin when taken in moderation.

As for the rest of "The Triangle" - take every recurring criticism you hear of Houston. Sprawl, decentralization, no/poor mass transit, bad traffic, bad weather, patches of high crime, nothing to do after dark.....multiplied sevenfold.

I will say though, this was in 2006 going into early '07 and I'm gathering that Raleigh's coming on up in the world. The massive construction around downtown and the attendant traffic/parking headache kept me away from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston