U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,203 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to Houston. We have just moved to Cypress (77429) My 2 year old son doesn't have any friends here yet and I would like him to socialize a little bit with other kids at his age. I was thinking about the Mothers day out programme. Does anyone have opinion about St John Lutheran school in Cypress? or can maybe someone can recommend other schools in that area? I just want to send my son for 2-3 mornings a week right now so he can adjust.

Appreciate your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM

220 posts, read 424,407 times
Check into your local mom's club group. They usually do stuff together once or twice a week. Check out www.momsclubhfnw.com

Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM

408 posts, read 1,133,382 times
What subdivision are you in? I don't know anything about the mother's day out program at St John's but I'm sure most of the church programs are good. I'd also recommend classes at the Cy-Creek YMCA (for you and him!). They have a great child care program. There's also Gymboree classes by Willowbrook mall. I meet most of my friends at either the Y or Gymboree when my children were that age.

Classes suitable for Baby, Infant, Toddler and Preschooler - Classes That Aid Early Childhood Development - Gymboree Play & Music
http://houstonymca.ebookview.net/guide.php?orgid=62&catid=1880&p=2 (broken link)

Last edited by citizen_jane; 07-28-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 PM

714 posts, read 1,259,794 times
St Johns has an excellent rep... and has for years. It also has quite the waiting list in many cases! I used to teach at Chrysalis Preschool at Messiah Lutheran (staff/directors have switched over since I left in 07) and many kiddos there were on the waiting list for St Johns!

Wee Wuns at the Methodist Church on Cypress N Houston also has a great long-standing reputation.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM

1,186 posts, read 4,442,101 times
St. John's is good as are the Mother's Day Out programs at Lakewood United Methodist and Cypress United Methodist (mentioned above).

We have our kids at Lakewood UMC and they love it. Great teachers, excellent curriculum, nice facilities.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM

45 posts, read 128,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellemommy View Post
Hi, I am new to Houston. We have just moved to Cypress (77429) My 2 year old son doesn't have any friends here yet and I would like him to socialize a little bit with other kids at his age. I was thinking about the Mothers day out programme. Does anyone have opinion about St John Lutheran school in Cypress? or can maybe someone can recommend other schools in that area? I just want to send my son for 2-3 mornings a week right now so he can adjust.

Appreciate your opinions.
I take my daughter to Wee Wuns off of Cypress North Houston. She goes on Tue/Thursday from 845-230. Heres the number 281-469-2058. They also have everyday and MWF classes.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,203 times
Thank you very much for your advices. I will look into it. It's good to hear the opinions of other parents especially that I am new to Houston, actually I am new to the US.
I need to find a good pediatrician in that area as well. I am just learning about the health care system here as well.
Again would appreciate your advices!

Thank you

Old 07-31-2010, 10:09 AM

220 posts, read 424,407 times
This is the pediatrician we use....Find a location - Texas Children's Pediatric Associates (http://www.texaschildrenspediatrics.org/locations/default.aspx - broken link)

the one we go to is at intersection of 290 and huffmeister. Dr. Winer or Dr. Nguyen are our favorites although they're all good.

I like them because they also have weekend appointments too at their cypresswood location.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 AM

6 posts, read 14,990 times
Default Relocated from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellemommy View Post
Thank you very much for your advices. I will look into it. It's good to hear the opinions of other parents especially that I am new to Houston, actually I am new to the US.
I need to find a good pediatrician in that area as well. I am just learning about the health care system here as well.
Again would appreciate your advices!

Thank you
Am just curious. Do you come from the Philippines?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM

19 posts, read 41,300 times
There are a lot of playgroups on meetup.com. There are other things too (sports, ladies night, etc). We met a lot of people through meetup when we moved here 3 years ago
Real Housewives of NW Houston Playgroup (Houston, TX) - Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/Real-Housewives-of-NW-Houston-Playgroup/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston