U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,267,346 times

Advertisements

Houston and the three other major Texas markets registered the nationís strongest employment gains during the past five years, according to figures released Wednesday morning by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Houston came in No. 1, with 129,800 private-sector jobs created between June 2005 and June 2010. Dallas came in second, gaining 71,300 private-sector jobs. Austin ranked third, with 56,100 new private-sector jobs; San Antonio ranked No. 4, with a gain of 32,600 private-sector jobs.

Read more: Houston ranked No. 1 in job growth over past 5 years - Houston Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,192,686 times
Yes finally. Yesterday's thread kind of literally bummed my day out a little bit, losing to Austin is not my ideal day. Hahaha, it's the competitive spirit here in Texas.

But this is awesome actually. It needs to keep this up on growth standards. I already know the economy is healthy to last, so it's looking bright post term.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,264,418 times
Wow, Houston really had it going. I am surprised San Antonio wasn't higher. The Way SweethomeSanantonio talks I was thinking SA would have created 500000.

But yeah Texas represented as always.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM

12,204 posts, read 17,577,064 times
Congrats Houston! Texas is where it's at!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,267,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Yes finally. Yesterday's thread kind of literally bummed my day out a little bit, losing to Austin is not my ideal day. Hahaha, it's the competitive spirit here in Texas.

But this is awesome actually. It needs to keep this up on growth standards. I already know the economy is healthy to last, so it's looking bright post term.
You can smile now

Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,937,672 times
Default But 2015? Another story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Houston and the three other major Texas markets registered the nation’s strongest employment gains during the past five years, according to figures released Wednesday morning by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Houston came in No. 1, with 129,800 private-sector jobs created between June 2005 and June 2010. Dallas came in second, gaining 71,300 private-sector jobs. Austin ranked third, with 56,100 new private-sector jobs; San Antonio ranked No. 4, with a gain of 32,600 private-sector jobs.

Read more: Houston ranked No. 1 in job growth over past 5 years - Houston Business Journal

It will be interesting to see if Saudi Arabia's flooding of the world oil markets will hammer all the Houston-based energy project work and result in a slowing of job creation - if not downright job destruction. I'm especially worried about the complex (i.e. high cost per barrel produced) projects to get tough-to-explore-and-produce hydrocarbons in shale and tight limestone and sandstone needing fracking, heavy crude, and conventional oil and gas in remote and difficult locations such as the Arctic, Greenland, deep water, war zones (N. Iraq, S. Russia and Ukraine), etc. Let me give you an example, several large Houston-based companies were working on early stage projects in Ukraine for shale gas, which would have been a very worthwhile project for the Ukrainians to gain energy (and political) independence from Russia but now it's both a high-cost tight reservoir white elephant and in a near (or actual) war zone. I'm sure those kind of things will be shut down soon if they haven't been already.

Should be an interesting year for upstream workers and the Houston economy. Anybody here remember the slogan "Stay Alive in '85" (the beginning of another bust). Now it's "Stay Alive in One Five".

Old 12-11-2014, 06:07 AM

39 posts, read 67,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
It will be interesting to see if Saudi Arabia's flooding of the world oil markets will hammer all the Houston-based energy project work and result in a slowing of job creation - if not downright job destruction. I'm especially worried about the complex (i.e. high cost per barrel produced) projects to get tough-to-explore-and-produce hydrocarbons in shale and tight limestone and sandstone needing fracking, heavy crude, and conventional oil and gas in remote and difficult locations such as the Arctic, Greenland, deep water, war zones (N. Iraq, S. Russia and Ukraine), etc. Let me give you an example, several large Houston-based companies were working on early stage projects in Ukraine for shale gas, which would have been a very worthwhile project for the Ukrainians to gain energy (and political) independence from Russia but now it's both a high-cost tight reservoir white elephant and in a near (or actual) war zone. I'm sure those kind of things will be shut down soon if they haven't been already.

Should be an interesting year for upstream workers and the Houston economy. Anybody here remember the slogan "Stay Alive in '85" (the beginning of another bust). Now it's "Stay Alive in One Five".
I would not call it a shut down. It should be a slow down. In a big picture, energy source will always be human's problem. Until we find a better energy source, O & G will always be needed. However, 2015 will definitely be very interesting for Houston.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 AM

2,038 posts, read 1,478,133 times
Kinda obvious isnt it?....job growth in Houston isnt going to slow down anytime soon...there are just building projects going up everywhere in Houston...you drive along your usual route every day, and the next thing you know you look up and a space has been cleared and fenced off preparing for a new construction project. Some of Houston's areas will be barely recognizable in 10 years, in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 AM

2,164 posts, read 2,742,945 times
It will slow next year, along with housing, car sales, and disposable income.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 AM

419 posts, read 678,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaoinc View Post
I would not call it a shut down. It should be a slow down. In a big picture, energy source will always be human's problem. Until we find a better energy source, O & G will always be needed. However, 2015 will definitely be very interesting for Houston.
Actually solar is becoming more competitive every day:

How Solar Power Could Slay the Fossil Fuel Empire by 2030 | Motherboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or