Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I said most because there are other cities in Harris County. Let me ask you, what would Houston gain from annexing more people? It's city council would turn Republican (they don't want that) and then the city would have to provide city services to a lot more land. Just doesn't seem feasible in my opinion. It's why Houston has been releasing ETJ little by little. They aren't going to annex much anymore.
It doesn't matter if it gets more republican, it will be more democratic again as the population grows, and it is not the people I am worried about, its the new burbs popping up everywhere

Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It doesn't matter if it gets more republican, it will be more democratic again as the population grows, and it is not the people I am worried about, its the new burbs popping up everywhere
It does matter. The city is not going to take that chance and wait decades so the neighborhoods it annexes "hopefully" become Republican. How democratic is Kingwood? Exactly. Besides, you already posted a map of Houston's ETJ. It's not going to be hemmed in any time soon. No new cities can form because one, Houston annexed a lot of the commercial areas for tax dollars (so the new cities won't have that luxury), and two, you can't form a city in Houston's ETJ.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 PM

what do you mean no new cities can form? they are forming. and it is not the new cities I am worried about, for the zillionth time I don't care if outside cities form or houston builds them itself, I was the area to remain undevelopped.

they have plans for new developments at various points along Grand parkway

Old 11-10-2010, 05:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what do you mean no new cities can form? they are forming. and it is not the new cities I am worried about, for the zillionth time I don't care if outside cities form or houston builds them itself, I was the area to remain undevelopped.

they have plans for new developments at various points along Grand parkway
No new cities can form because new cities can't be created in another city's ETJ, unless that city releases it (The Woodlands for example). And you want the areas to remain undeveloped? Where are the people moving to Houston going to go? Plus, developers have already bought the land for the developments along the various points of the Grand Parkway. You want the city to annex the land, spend a bunch of money buying land back from developers, and then let it sit? Not going to happen.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Dang, Houston needs to release it's ETJ limits to these cities.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No new cities can form because new cities can't be created in another city's ETJ, unless that city releases it (The Woodlands for example). And you want the areas to remain undeveloped? Where are the people moving to Houston going to go? Plus, developers have already bought the land for the developments along the various points of the Grand Parkway. You want the city to annex the land, spend a bunch of money buying land back from developers, and then let it sit? Not going to happen.
have you driven south on 288? have you gone south on Almeda past the medical center? Houston has miles and miles of open fields within the city. Have you seen the north east quadrant of the city?

yes I want the area to remain developed. Houston has tons of land withing the current limits to build on and after that it can start demolishing derelict buildings in midtown and the east end to build on. after all that they can start to build up.

as for the grand parkway project that is exactly what I mean. all these far flung projects are not needed. it is only going to get worse if the land isn't protected. we are just going to need more and more highways and going to spread out further and further.

I am not being stupid to saying to buy back the land. I never said that. I said I wanted to prevent future development you know what I am saying but you are just being difficult.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Htownlove, we can wish all day, but seriously, have your thoughts been thought of by city leaders? They are really good thoughts.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 PM

This is what the Municipal Utility districts around Houston look like:

Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Htownlove, we can wish all day, but seriously, have your thoughts been thought of by city leaders? They are really good thoughts.
only along bodies of water

Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM

From your map, I can tell where the rural area of Harris County is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston