U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM

8,902 posts, read 8,183,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
have you driven south on 288? have you gone south on Almeda past the medical center? Houston has miles and miles of open fields within the city. Have you seen the north east quadrant of the city?

yes I want the area to remain developed. Houston has tons of land withing the current limits to build on and after that it can start demolishing derelict buildings in midtown and the east end to build on. after all that they can start to build up.
But it's NEVER going to happen. This is America. You can't force people to live close to the city center. Those areas of open fields along 288 inside the Beltway are getting filled in by developments, little by little, anyway. Houston has tons of land in the city limit, but it is not as desirable. The west and northwest side of the metro have always been the fastest growing, and people are moving to those areas. It would be literally impossible for Houston to annex the land and buy back the land from developers. It isn't going to happen. Especially when a lot of the developments have already began construction and have people living in them.

Quote:
as for the grand parkway project that is exactly what I mean. all these far flung projects are not needed. it is only going to get worse if the land isn't protected. we are just going to need more and more highways and going to spread out further and further.
The Grand Parkway IS needed. It will connect the suburbs. There is already a lot of development along a lot of the proposed route for the Grand Parkway. Have you not seen the Springwoods Village development plans? Or EarthQuest? Or Bridgeland? The Grand Parkway is vital to all of these areas. The people are going to move here anyway. If Houston doesn't want to expand it's freeways and roadways, then we will end up like Atlanta. Freeways/tollways are going to be needed with the future growth, but adding in other forms of transit along the way is what will improve this region's mobility. For example, commuter rail along 290, etc. Did you know that Houston was the only major American metro to reduce congestion this decade? And that is with the population boom.

Quote:
I am not being stupid to saying to buy back the land. I never said that. I said I wanted to prevent future development you know what I am saying but you are just being difficult.
No, I don't know what you're saying. I'm trying to understand what you're trying to say, and from what I'm reading, it wouldn't work, nor is it feasible.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM

10,177 posts, read 10,132,296 times
Great info! +1

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM

10,059 posts, read 10,272,217 times
Quote:
not so much the number but the land locked nature.

Like I said I would rather that Houston takes over the rest of Harris and set aside all the undeveloped land as parts and force knew dwellings in the core. If Not Houston will be feet away from Hawaii before we know it.
But the difference between a lot of neighborhoods outside 610 and inside Houston vs. places like Richardson or West Plano isnt really much. The fact that a suburban neighborhood has the Houston name doesnt magically turn it urban.

If Houston kept expanding its city limits line, those new annexed areas would not all of the sudden be urban (nor, as Scarface points it out, can you force or even entice people living the suburban lifestyle want to go live downtown). On the contrary, they would still be every bit as suburban as they are now. It would just make Houston (outside 610 of course) more suburban on the whole.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM

To Scarface, I hope Grand Parkway isn't going to have 4 lanes. I hope it has at least 6 lanes that willa ccomodate the growth.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,495,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
From your map, I can tell where the rural area of Harris County is.
not really, you still see cow pastures along 288 a few minutes from downtown. there are rural looking pockets within the city limits

Houston still has lots and lots of open land. heck there are lots of unused land along the metro rail

Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM

Cow pastures a few minutes from downtown in the 4th largest city in America? Shocking!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Cow pastures a few minutes from downtown in the 4th largest city in America? Shocking!
The area Htownlove is speaking about has never been a desirable area. Slowly, development (starter homes, apartments, warehouses) have been going in along the stretch.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
yep, along a busy highway too.

my neighborhood is about 5 minutes from downtown and the lot sizes are about 6000 sq feet and up. you don't find those sized lots so close to most downtowns either.

the houses are all huge 75 year old mansions built for rich Jews who were banned from living in RiverOaks because it was a white only neighborhood.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
yep, along a busy highway too.

my neighborhood is about 5 minutes from downtown and the lot sizes are about 6000 sq feet and up. you don't find those sized lots so close to most downtowns either.

the houses are all huge 75 year old mansions built for rich Jews who were banned from living in RiverOaks because it was a white only neighborhood.
You're talking about the Third Ward? The Jews moved from there to Meyerland, IIRC.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The area Htownlove is speaking about has never been a desirable area. Slowly, development (starter homes, apartments, warehouses) have been going in along the stretch.
288 is highly desirable because of its proximity to the med center. the west side is rapidly developing, the east side is still rather empty.

as for Almeda much isn't going on there either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston