U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,177,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You're talking about the Third Ward? The Jews moved from there to Meyerland, IIRC.
The Jews were never in Third ward. Third ward was the black neighborhood, and is rapidly being swallowed by mid town. I am talking about Riverside Terrace

Third ward is 67 on the map, Riverside is 83.

62 and 56 used to be part of 3rd ward

Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,536,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
288 is highly desirable because of its proximity to the med center. the west side is rapidly developing, the east side is still rather empty.

as for Almeda much isn't going on there either
Don't you think if that ares was desirable that there would be more development on it? Why did it skip to Pearland? There is no other side of the Houston metro like that.

Quote:
The Jews were never in Third ward. Third ward was the black neighborhood, and is rapidly being swallowed by mid town. I am talking about Riverside Terrace

Third ward is 67 on the map, Riverside is 83.

62 and 56 used to be part of 3rd ward
Not according to this: Third Ward, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was even a Jewish Church in Third Ward. Those big houses along Brays Bayou weren't built for Blacks.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,542,115 times
Maybe, a lot of developers are trying to get the pieces of land, and whoever owns the land is trying to see which developer can develop the property better. Who knows? I would love to see an Atlantic Station type development in the open spaces in Houston's city limits.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Don't you think if that ares was desirable that there would be more development on it? Why did it skip to Pearland? There is no other side of the Houston metro like that.
what are you talking about? the development in that area is huge. three times teh scale of Pearland. Pearland is developing now because it was empty and closer to the 610 loop. 10 years ago Pearland only had 37 000 people

Quote:
Not according to this: Third Ward, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was even a Jewish Church in Third Ward. Those big houses along Brays Bayou weren't built for Blacks.
They expand the term third ward to include areas that were never third ward and call it greater third ward. Third ward was the area going from Alabama to as far north as the Pierce Elevated.

as for your point on the big houses where do you think Riverside Terrace is?? Duh it is along Braes Bayou. That area Is Riverside Terrace.

Third Ward only touches the bayou east of Scott.

I should know the boundaries of Riverside, I live there

EDit: In fact Riverside Terrace and Third ward don't even abut each other, they are separated by Washington Terrace

Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
what are you talking about? the development in that area is huge. three times teh scale of Pearland. Pearland is developing now because it was empty and closer to the 610 loop. 10 years ago Pearland only had 37 000 people
Development in what areas? Areas along 288 from 610 to the Beltway (that's the areas I was talking about). Looks like open fields to me. Pearland has much more development.

Quote:
They expand the term third ward to include areas that were never third ward and call it greater third ward. Third ward was the area going from Alabama to as far north as the Pierce Elevated.

as for your point on the big houses where do you think Riverside Terrace is?? Duh it is along Braes Bayou. That area Is Riverside Terrace.

Third Ward only touches the bayou east of Scott.

I should know the boundaries of Riverside, I live there
I've always thought and heard of that area as Third Ward. Like you said, they expanded the boundaries. May have not been the historical Third Ward, but a lot of people consider it that today (instead of getting into specific neighborhood names). No need to get so upset though.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM

It would be nice if Pearland grows upward.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
It would be nice if Pearland grows upward.
It'll be a while before we see that, if ever. There isn't much of a market for residential towers in Pearland. There are, of course, a few hotels and some midrise office buildings planned for Pearland.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM

[quote=Scarface713;16607831]Development in what areas? Areas along 288 from 610 to the Beltway (that's the areas I was talking about). Looks like open fields to me. Pearland has much more development. {/quote] I am sorry, I thought we were still talking about Katy. That is what I get for drinking beer with diner.

Quote:
I've always thought and heard of that area as Third Ward. Like you said, they expanded the boundaries. May have not been the historical Third Ward, but a lot of people consider it that today (instead of getting into specific neighborhood names). No need to get so upset though.
No they did not expand the boundaries, people only associate it with 3rd ward because it is really close and after the black lawyers and doctors started pouring into the neighborhood, the area became almost entirely black as the Jews fled. Since it was a black neighborhood close to another black neighborhood people simply referred to it as 3rd ward too.

to simplify things people call it the greater third ward but 3rd ward boundaries end at Alabama in that area, then it drops down to Bloggett at Ennis and continues to Scott where it further drops down to Brays Bayou/ Macgregor. The area east of Ennis and south of Alabama is called Washington Terrace, south of that is Riverside Terrace.

The Heart of 3rd Watd was Dowling Street. when you get to areas passed HCC like Dowling and Mc Gowen that used to be the heart of 3rd ward. Emancipation Park was where all the festivities used to be held, and that park is north of Elgin (between Elgin and McGowen)

its misconceptions that pushed the 3rd ward as far south as people think it is. you wouldn't believe how close to Downtown 3rd ward was.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
It'll be a while before we see that, if ever. There isn't much of a market for residential towers in Pearland. There are, of course, a few hotels and some midrise office buildings planned for Pearland.
you would be surprised. Have you driven down Broadway resently? going east to Cullen? They are building some really nice looking apartments along that street.

But ya, Brazoria county is really sparce. there is a lot of land available and no real need to build up right now.

oh they are also building a ginormous specs in Pearland

Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Houston annex land past Pearland in Brazoria County, since there is a lot of land down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston