Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 AM

67 posts, read 304,305 times

Advertisements

A couple of days ago our neighbors (in our culdesac) landscaping drains (that run from the gutters, under the flower bed mulch, to the yard) were pulled up.

This morning ours were pulled up, a long track on both sides of the drains.
They were torn up extensively with holes, tear outs, bent, etc. the flowers in the flower bed were fine.

The neighbors down the street have the same thing happened last night (the same time ours occured). One neighbor said her dog was barking ferociously at something and also her light bulb was broken and she heard a big thud. She contacted the sheriff this morning. He thinks its rodents, but that doesn't explain the bulb being broken,

Does this sound like Rodents? If so, what kind?

We are planning to a surveillance system today. Please recommend yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Pulled up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbiz View Post
A couple of days ago our neighbors (in our culdesac) landscaping drains (that run from the gutters, under the flower bed mulch, to the yard) were pulled up.

This morning ours were pulled up, a long track on both sides of the drains.
They were torn up extensively with holes, tear outs, bent, etc. the flowers in the flower bed were fine.

The neighbors down the street have the same thing happened last night (the same time ours occured). One neighbor said her dog was barking ferociously at something and also her light bulb was broken and she heard a big thud. She contacted the sheriff this morning. He thinks its rodents, but that doesn't explain the bulb being broken,

Does this sound like Rodents? If so, what kind?

We are planning to a surveillance system today. Please recommend yours?
Feral hogs maybe? I don't know of any animal that would pull up drains without causing damage to flowers on top of the drains. I guess I cannot picture what you are describing.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Feral hogs maybe? I don't know of any animal that would pull up drains without causing damage to flowers on top of the drains. I guess I cannot picture what you are describing.
There are flowers planted on each side of two of the drains in one flower bed(but no flowers planted on top of the drains). No damage to nearby flowers. No damage to grass in the yard. Just to the mulch and the drains.

The 3rd drain is in the second flower bed, but there are no flowers planted in that bed, just hedges. No damage to the hedges.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Memorial Park and the Arboretum have been swimming in feral hogs recently and the more agricultural areas West of town have had hogs for decades, steadily getting worse in any place where the pigs are not vigilantly prosecuted. They use Buffalo Bayou and the big electrical easements as travel corridors into the relatively low-pressure municipal parks. If you are near the bayou, I'll bet my paycheck that you're seeing damage from feral pigs.

Do you have any oak or pecan trees on your lot?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Memorial Park and the Arboretum have been swimming in feral hogs recently and the more agricultural areas West of town have had hogs for decades, steadily getting worse in any place where the pigs are not vigilantly prosecuted. They use Buffalo Bayou and the big electrical easements as travel corridors into the relatively low-pressure municipal parks. If you are near the bayou, I'll bet my paycheck that you're seeing damage from feral pigs.

Do you have any oak or pecan trees on your lot?
An small oak tree and a small pine tree. No pecan trees.
I wonder why just the drains and not the lawn? Same with my neighbor's incident on Monday....just his drains.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Quote:
I wonder why just the drains and not the lawn?
Maybe a hog has figured out that the moist environment surrounding the drain provides a smorgasbord of good eats?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:23 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
An small oak tree and a small pine tree. No pecan trees.
I wonder why just the drains and not the lawn? Same with my neighbor's incident on Monday....just his drains.
Pigs love rotten acorns. If you have an accumulation of old acorns in a wet environment like a landscape drain they can smell it and will start rooting around for access. I'm venturing a wild guess without seeing your property of course, but what you're describing sounds very, very much like a hog rooting.

Maybe you and your neighbor want to go halfsies on a trap and stick it in the backyard somewhere and bait it with corn? I'll bet the sheriff would do something if you told him you had trapped his rodents and they are actually wild pigs.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Pigs love rotten acorns. If you have an accumulation of old acorns in a wet environment like a landscape drain they can smell it and will start rooting around for access. I'm venturing a wild guess without seeing your property of course, but what you're describing sounds very, very much like a hog rooting.

Maybe you and your neighbor want to go halfsies on a trap and stick it in the backyard somewhere and bait it with corn? I'll bet the sheriff would do something if you told him you had trapped his rodents and they are actually wild pigs.
I think you have something. My husband had just watered the the flower bed yesterday evening.
Yet, I'm still a little shocked

Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM

Default Found out what is going out

It happened again to our neighbor last night. He checked his surveillance this morning that he recently installed and it two dogs or wolves that are tearing the drains up.

Each time this has occurred it has been the night before trash pickup the next day.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
could be armadillos.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston