Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:36 AM

676 posts, read 926,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think it was Katy Mills Mall opening and Memorial City Mall expanding that dealt the death blow to West Oaks. I still went there to shop at Dillard's and Sears when I lived over there, because it was the closest one to me. The Dillard's closed and I'm not sure about the Sears location.

I didn't feel unsafe there, but the shops I wanted left. ( and we moved into Houston)
The Sears and Macys are still there, but have gone way down-hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:55 PM

226 posts, read 309,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think it was Katy Mills Mall opening and Memorial City Mall expanding that dealt the death blow to West Oaks. I still went there to shop at Dillard's and Sears when I lived over there, because it was the closest one to me. The Dillard's closed and I'm not sure about the Sears location.

I didn't feel unsafe there, but the shops I wanted left. ( and we moved into Houston)
This is just me, but I think it was more First Colony Mall opening paired with the Memorial City renovation that really brought down West Oaks. I grew up in Pecan Grove, and we shopped West Oaks until the mid-90s. I don't think of Katy Mills as a mall in the same category as the above, since it's outlet shopping. That's just me, thought.

West Oaks is now my closest mall, but I will drive to Memorial City for JC Penney and Dillards. The one at West Oaks is still open, I believe, but it's a clearance store.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C62012 View Post
*bump
Trying to start this thread up again....
What are your thoughts on that area...briar village, briar park. I'm looking to see if more flip homes will come on the market.
--just from reading on the forums. Bush elementary is a good school but I'd like to hear from someone who sent their child to bush or have friends in the area.

Why is this area lower cost in housing??? Given it's market area is energy corridor?

Any thoughts appreciated!
Are you looking to flip or for a flipped house? The Ashford communities (west side of DA south and north of BF) have had some flipped recently (or in the process of). They don't have the great school that Briar Village does, but when we bought almost a year and a half ago, our house was under 200K. I haven't seen a house listed for under since this summer, and that house was flipped. This area seems to be appreciating, even if the elementary schools are only so-so.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 PM

60 posts, read 69,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlibrarian View Post
Are you looking to flip or for a flipped house? The Ashford communities (west side of DA south and north of BF) have had some flipped recently (or in the process of). They don't have the great school that Briar Village does, but when we bought almost a year and a half ago, our house was under 200K. I haven't seen a house listed for under since this summer, and that house was flipped. This area seems to be appreciating, even if the elementary schools are only so-so.
Looking for a flipped house. Completely remodeled.
I'm still looking on har for flipped homes on the west side but there are not many. It probably coming through the years, but I think bc of the schools, it's not priced as high as other upcoming areas. What do you think?
And briar village area, I'm not too sure if there are older aged owners who own the homes. Gentrification?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:32 AM

5,595 posts, read 4,893,030 times
Quote:
I'm still looking on har for flipped homes on the west side but there are not many. It probably coming through the years, but I think bc of the schools, it's not priced as high as other upcoming areas. What do you think?
And briar village area, I'm not too sure if there are older aged owners who own the homes. Gentrification?
Gentrification is a little tougher in areas where the elementary school isn't that well-regarded (though I've not really heard much negative about Daily); that said, these are suburban 1970s-80s era homes in leafy subdivisions which might need a some updating and maintenance work but are hardly falling down, and are located within easy reach of two large employment areas (Energy Corridor and Westchase). Plus there's access to Terry Hershey Park. The apartments near Kirkwood and Wilcrest don't have great reputations but the area isn't known as a dangerous ghetto either; Alief has a much worse reputation. The nearby section of Westheimer, for all its aesthetic ugliness and traffic, has a bunch of good places to eat.

The further west you go, close to Dairy Ashford, the better. I think childless households working in either of the two aforementioned areas who aren't looking to spend a total fortune on a house like you have to do north of the Bayou anymore, and like homes from that era, would definitely take a look. It's really a pretty good location from several perspectives.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
How important are schools to you? The Ashford community, just east of DA (my mistake in previous post) has had some houses flipped recently. It is zoned to Ashford/Shadowbriar elementaries. I don't know from personal experience, but it's not doesn't have the rep of Barbara Bush, which has all the money of the zip code attending, and it has middling greatschools ratings. However, houses in the neighborhood, a mix of original residents families, and some DINKs, do sport Ashford Elementary signs. The Chronicle actually profiled it several years ago:

Ashford community a draw for young families - Houston Chronicle

I would add 50-100K to the price avearges listed in the article.

It is one of the oldest subdivisions in 77077, late 60s/early 70s. I wouldn't exactly say this or any subdivision in this area are down enough to need "gentrification", but some of the houses could undoubtedly use updating.

Hope this info and the pm help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston