Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:13 PM

286 posts, read 677,873 times

Advertisements

America has crime,but Americans must fight crime,not run from it.This country's problem is cowardice.Stand up for America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 AM

96 posts, read 306,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAngelina View Post
My wife works in retail in Scottsdale and she is amazed at the negative attitudes and the rudeness of the locals.

The politics and the border fear mongering are ALWAY IN OUR FACE!. Every TV station, newspaper, etc. is talking about the "dangers and beheadings" in the desert. Too many political lies. When Arizona re-elected a woman who is showing obvious signs of dementia to stay as Governor - I was alarmed to say the least. 16 White Supremacists groups in Arizona and more coming. My wife and I are not racist. We are not White Supremacists. We feel that SB 1070 is an inhumane bill.

Other things to consider: Sales tax of 9 1/2%, tax on food of 1.65% in Scottsdale and 2% in Phoenix. Oh, and a state income tax up to 4 1/2%. Auto registration is higher here then Texas. Liability insurance is one of the highest in the nation. The main local attraction (Talisian West) cost $75 per person to visit, but is closed from May to October. Farmers Markets are closed from May to October.
I appreciate your input. I know from visiting the Phoenix area many times that you are right about the locals being rude.

As for politics, I have a very different point of view and Governor Brewer is one of the reasons I WOULD move to Arizona. I'm not racist either- in fact my new Grandson is 1/2 Mexican, but I can't possibly understand why you feel SB 1070 is inhumane, but that's a discussion for another forum.

Anyway, unless taxes have gone up, last time I was in Scottsdale their sales tax was lower than mine here in Oklahoma- and the state income tax rate of 4.5% that you quote is lower than Oklahoma also. But, the liability insurance you mention is something I will look into- this I did not know.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:38 AM

96 posts, read 306,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
Harris county has higher property tax than L.A. county ....AZ may have 4.2
if you make over 70k.
Im retired and dont.....
We payed about 450 a month in taxes on a house in harris county....thats it was over 5k a year.....just for a house.....its absurd....and that was with "retired" discount....I cant remember what they called it there.
Thats why there is so many retirement age people in AZ.
Dont need high prop tax,floods..dont get me started on home owners ins too.
hurricanes etc, the highest elec rates in the nation.
Yes I kissed the ground when we crossed over back home to AZ....when My wife goes to see her daughter there she ask me if I want to go...not a chance in H$LL will I ever go back there.
If you are moving there ask lots of questions on flood ins and tax rates.
The only place I like was the Woodlands....I could have lived there and been pretty happy but its out of Harris county too.
And check the A.C. ....I had never run the A.C. in Feb before I moved to Houston.
Im soooooo happy to be out.
Everything you mention is what causes me to hesitate to move to Houston. I know from my daughter's experience about the high utility bills- what's the deal with that anyway? I've been told the industry was deregulated but it seems like the competition would result in lower rates, not higher. But anyway, I'm also concerned about the prop. taxes and high H.O. insurance rates- I was down there visiting last week and heard something on a local talk radio program about that- that Texas (or maybe it was Houston) had surpassed Florida for the nations highest H.O. ins. rates due to hurricanes, etc. I'm not sure I should move someplace where I might not be able to buy a house (I would be renting for about 6 mos. at first) and build a new life- what would be the point in that? Is there any more info you can provide on these topics (ins., prop. tax, etc.)?
p.s. - what part of AZ did you move back to? The Phoenix area? Sounds like you're pretty happy there. Just curious.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 AM

33 posts, read 80,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
I appreciate your input. I know from visiting the Phoenix area many times that you are right about the locals being rude.

As for politics, I have a very different point of view and Governor Brewer is one of the reasons I WOULD move to Arizona. I'm not racist either- in fact my new Grandson is 1/2 Mexican, but I can't possibly understand why you feel SB 1070 is inhumane, but that's a discussion for another forum.

Anyway, unless taxes have gone up, last time I was in Scottsdale their sales tax was lower than mine here in Oklahoma- and the state income tax rate of 4.5% that you quote is lower than Oklahoma also. But, the liability insurance you mention is something I will look into- this I did not know.
You are right. This is not the forum for SB 1070. If you would email me at joe @ jfccareers.com I will be happy to give you my perspective on the law and how it has affected this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston