Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 AM

37 posts, read 93,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The good:

Beautiful area
Nice town center and thriving mall
Growing community

The bad:

Too far from the city
Lacks diversity
too many trees
has an isolated feel

You'd probably like Kingwood too; it's just as green (if not more) than the Woodlands.
Absolutely correct! I attended school there. The people are very narrow minded [intolerant of others] and isolated from the rest of civilization. The public schools are lacking, especially in the areas of socialization. You do not have to worry about that if you choose a private school.

As another city to city person, the woodlands probably is not of you. It is about an hour from houston; therefore, it does not any characteristics of larger areas, aka cities. The culture of the area is completely different from Houston. You should visit the schools first, before placing your children in the district.

Last edited by Surfthewave4; 08-11-2010 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:48 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
To the OP, did you ever think about Cinco Ranch or Sugar Land? Both are more diverse than The Woodlands (especially Sugar Land). The schools are the same (with the Cinco Ranch/South Katy area having the best).

Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

75 posts, read 196,716 times
I liked it better in my short 2.5 year stay from 1990 to early 93.....I like before the mall and stuff was built.....looks to commercial for my taste now....I had a newer home in CC and loved the trails!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,378 times
I have been in Houston my entire life, and I live in the Spring/Tomball area in the Klein School District. The Woodlands is about 15 minutes from my house, and we go there all of the time. Market Street, Waterway square and the surrounding areas are fantastic for families. There is almost always something going on, it is clean and feels fresh. I am part of 2 moms groups, and almost all of our events are scheduled in or around the Woodlands.

There are a couple of down sides. Some of the people are 'fake' like someone mentioned, and many of the women are a little too tan, a little too blonde and have boobs that are a little too big. Lol. However, you get that in most moms' groups and most cities. I have gone to various pools and parks in the Woodlands (you have to pay to get into them, even if you are a resident but they are very nice) and I always go to the mall. I have seen almost solely white people with some Asians in the mix and also some people from the middle east. I do not see a lot of african americans or hispanics anywhere in the Woodlands.

The mall, despite being nice and having a lot of high end stores (or maybe because it is so nice) has experienced a lot of crime. I know people personally who have had their purses stolen, and I have hear horror stories of moms being robbed while walking with their children through the parking lot. It has never happened to me, but I know for a fact it happens. So be careful, and tell your daughter to only go with a group of friends.The Woodlands does seem to be overflowing with teenagers, so I am sure she will have no problem making friends.

You basically do need to make $100k a year to live there, but most 2 income households get pretty close to that. Make sure you find out about taxes and association fees out there. I've heard they are pretty steep! Also, you will definitely not get as much square footage out there for your money as you will a little further south. So, shop around. I know a great realtor who really takes time with her clients. Let me know if you need her info.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
The Woodlands is now a township and most of it no longer has the HOA fees.The taxes are very reasonable and you can get a home for under 200,000 or over 1,000,000. You can choose an older home or a newer home. There are alot of options. as far as "fake", its a master-planned community and alot of people live there because it is a prestigous community..kind of step-ford wives,lol!
The majority of residents also work out there and there is alot of stuff for teens..pools in ever neighborhood, the mall, the movies, skate park, dog parks, walking trails, concerts....The resale value is fabulous and the entire area from Klein to Conroe is a great area..which is why I would prefer it to Kingwood.
There are hospitals, restaraunts, shopping everywhere..you never have to leave..but during rush hour, it can be a long commute coming in on Woodlands Parkway or hwy 242.. You are also not far from Lake Conroe and it is a easy commute to the airport..and thats all I have to say about that

Old 08-22-2010, 02:49 PM

55 posts, read 152,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
In the 2000 census The Woodlands Asian population was 2.8%

By Contrast The City of Houston's was 5.3%

Both percentages are bound to have risen in 10 years time.
Asian population will actually raise the TAKS performance of the schools. Look at their TAKS performance ratings in any Texas school - solid high 90% mostly 99% in all categories. Asians in the Woodlands are highly educated, upper middle class professionals with kids that are very academically excellent and well mannered.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
Most people in The Woodlands are upper middle class..education is not a problem whatever the race..this is a prestigious area.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 9,359 times
I can relate, it is a little bit claustherphobic, in that you can never see too far. I kind of like it but I am not used to it.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,138 times
I just moved away from The Woodlands for college and I happen to have loved it there. As for high schools? There are two: The Woodlands College Park High School (est 2005) and The Woodlands High School. Grades are extremely competitive at both schools, but College Park has the Academy of Science & Technology, which DOES factor into class rank of normal College Park students. With a 4.2 GPA I was only in the top 23%. Also, many of the College Park students seem to be jealous of TWHS students. Overall TWHS is just a better school. Better teachers, better scheduling, HUGE on the traditions. If you're going to make which school your daughter will go to a priority, definitely stick with the areas zoned for TWHS.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,770 times
Too many trees?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston